Dynadot

.mobi .Mobi domain ending will soon rank organically on mobile phones Google slips

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
What do you think about this article?

Earlier today Google let slip for 24 minutes before retracting the tweet that .mobi is now the platform for mobile and everyone from Go Daddy to Enom.com have reported record sales.

β€œIts 1990 all over again” says Greg Partisan with Domain authority as .mobi extension sales took off.

The mobile Web is growing exponentially, recording 700% growth in the past year. With this growth, however, comes the need for standardization to allow the mobile Web to continue to develop. We've seen this numerous times in the past where competing technology standards have delayed widespread adoption. In the 1970s it was VCR vs. Betamax and in the 1990s it was Digital Audio Tape vs. MiniDisc vs. CD. In both of these cases, it was the format that got in the lead first, and enjoyed the widest industry support, that eventually triumphed. Today .mobi enjoys this same position as the most prevalent mobile domain in use.

.Mobi domain ending will replace .com for search preference only on all mobile devices starting March of 2013 and the first day sales of the extension were over 23 million.

http://www.siliconvalleyreporter.co...nk-organically-on-mobile-phones-google-slips/

Here is an example:

Search for mobile link directory on google and depending where you are searching from,
there should be 1 - 2 .mobis on the first page.

Do you know of any other search terms where this is the case? Please post...

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Tee hee hee. This is funny, because if I go to Weather.com, MLB.com or CNNMoney.com (didn't try all the sites you mentioned), it forwards me to m.weather.com, m.mlb.com, and money.cnn.com/m/

It doesn't look like even they believe much in .mobi.

.MOBI was an orchestrated hype fest to make money for the registrars and those at the top of the domaining industry. Sort of like the Facebook IPO. Everyone who bought early, sold early and everyone else got left holding the bag. Some of you are still holding the bag, wondering when your crap will turn to gold.

not that i think .mobi is some hit or anything but anytime i hear the phrase "they dont believe in <insert TLD here>" i cant help but laugh.

its stuff only domainers think about. "believing in" TLDs.. believe what? the whole reason why most companies use .com is because its the de facto standard. which means they are just going with the grain... they probably have never taken 1 second out of the day to "believe in" a TLD the way domainers think of it.

like its some stock they are trying to raise the value of.. why would they think of it like this?

•••
not that i think .mobi is some hit or anything but anytime i hear the phrase "they dont believe in <insert TLD here>" i cant help but laugh.

its stuff only domainers think about. "believing in" TLDs.. believe what? the whole reason why most companies use .com is because its the de facto standard. which means they are just going with the grain... they probably have never taken 1 second out of the day to "believe in" a TLD the way domainers think of it.

like its some stock they are trying to raise the value of.. why would they think of it like this?

Well, all I am saying is, that when I have something that works just fine and someone tries to convince me that I need to buy something else in addition to it, there is some belief involved somewhere... And, it's likely me believing they're nuts. ;)

•••
but they did buy the .mobi and re-direct it so they got fooled..

•••
They bought the belief. ;) But, like I said, the mobile traffic is being redirected to a subdomain or a subfolder of the .com, not the .mobi site, so... You know. I don't know. Honestly, I've been away for awhile and in all of that time I haven't see a .mobi site once, and I've mostly been using an iPod for internet access in that time. I was surprised to see that .mobi still existed. :lol:

•••
I have seen some result on Google with .mobi domain name when search query related to any mobile product and services. It means Google is giving good preference to .mobi related domain name extension.

Last edited:
•••
They bought the belief. ;) But, like I said, the mobile traffic is being redirected to a subdomain or a subfolder of the .com, not the .mobi site, so... You know. I don't know. Honestly, I've been away for awhile and in all of that time I haven't see a .mobi site once, and I've mostly been using an iPod for internet access in that time. I was surprised to see that .mobi still existed. :lol:

what? they bought the belief but they dont believe? no, they're just doing what someone told them to do without barely any thought involved. nobody "believes in" or "doesnt believe in" TLD's except domainers.

im not even sure why they're redirecting the .mobi at all... what the point? they already have a website..

•••
At least that's promising....!!

I have seen some result on Google with .mobi domain name when search query related to any mobile product and services. It means Google is giving good preference to .mobi related domain name extension.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back