Dynadot

Mixed script "fake" IDN on Sedo

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
-These are just a couple of many that are on featured domains at Sedo.com, there are very many!

Sedo had stopped allowing them for some time now but slipping back in to their old ways.

They are shown as IDN but they are simply mixed script, English and other languages cobbled together, to look like real English words. Many people have been caught out by this type of worthless rubbish in the past both on Sedo and on the various forums.

holíday.com

amerìca.com etc.

Well done NP's for removing many of them from the forum.

Make sure you don't get caught by them, particularly if you are new to domaining.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Actually we do, it's called ENGLISH and it's the global language of business.

Wow, you really are missing a few marbles.
As I told you
English is a west Germanic language
You know nothing about your history

•••
•••
•••
Thanks Wot for creating this valuable thread. We all need to be careful when bidding on potentially worthless IDN that look like English words.

•••
•••
you even don,t pay attention

•••
•••
•••
A short 'letter' o all the IDN critics:

I don't understand the bizarre excitement, especially not if it is coming from 'VIP or TOP Members'. Who are the name pros?

You can register* whatever you want and offer* / sell* whatever you want.

It's really nonsense to think that IDNs are scam, even if they look very similiar to latin letters.
The world's languages are different, so the world's domains are different too ;)
Try to go with time and accept that.
It's up to every single individual to look / inform carefully which kind of domain he have to do with before register / offer / buying / visiting it.

SEDO does nothing wrong by allowing to offer* them - they just seem open minded by allowing them.
They are all red marked as IDNs there.

ICANN allows to register* them - so you can be sure that there is nothing wrong to register* / offer* / sell* them.

Everybody who look carefully to those IDN signs and symbols and similar letters from non latin alphabets, will see that there is a different.
If someone does not look carefully enough it's simply his own fault.

International Domain Names need international letters and signs.

I hope this helps.

*Of course as long as it does not break some laws.

Last edited:
•••
A short 'letter' o all the IDN critics:

I don't understand the bizarre excitement, especially not if it is coming from 'VIP or TOP Members'. Who are the name pros?

You can register* whatever you want and offer* / sell* whatever you want.

It's really nonsense to think that IDNs are scam, even if they look very similiar to latin letters.
The world's languages are different, so the world's domains are different too ;)
Try to go with time and accept that.
It's up to every single individual to look / inform carefully which kind of domain he have to do with before register / offer / buying / visiting it.

SEDO does nothing wrong by allowing to offer* them - they just seem open minded by allowing them.
They are all red marked as IDNs there.

ICANN allows to register* them - so you can be sure that there is nothing wrong to register* / offer* / sell* them.

Everybody who look carefully to those IDN signs and symbols and similar letters from non latin alphabets, will see that there is a different.
If someone does not look carefully enough it's simply his own fault.

International Domain Names need international letters and signs.

I hope this helps.

*Of course as long as it does not break some laws.
Coming to the party a little late and a little knowledge.

There are some 5-6 years of persons utilising IDN to fake and try to sell names that look like something else and quite a few were successful. I personally spent a couple of years outing these scams which eventually resulted in those type of IDN being banned from Sedo and real IDN protocol being put in to place and subsequently saving a number of people from losing a lot of money.

Sedo,as they do on occassion,slipped back in to their old ways and monitoring systems went askew allowing the rubbish to find it's way back on their site.

New people come along and the old scams return and new people get caught and lose their money. Fortunately not to the same extent as it was as there is now a reasonable awareness of what are real IDN and what is mutton pretending to be lamb.

Sedo, of course were not the only places these "names" were being touted, they simply happened to be the main stage for such sales at that time.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

•••
Coming to the party a little late and a little knowledge.

There are some 5-6 years of persons utilising IDN to fake and try to sell names that look like something else and quite a few were successful. I personally spent a couple of years outing these scams which eventually resulted in those type of IDN being banned from Sedo and real IDN protocol being put in to place and subsequently saving a number of people from losing a lot of money.

Sedo,as they do on occassion,slipped back in to their old ways and monitoring systems went askew allowing the rubbish to find it's way back on their site.

New people come along and the old scams return and new people get caught and lose their money. Fortunately not to the same extent as it was as there is now a reasonable awareness of what are real IDN and what is mutton pretending to be lamb.

Sedo, of course were not the only places these "names" were being touted, they simply happened to be the main stage for such sales at that time.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Can you please give an example of an IDN which 'look like something else'?

•••
Try reading the thread and past related threads over the past few years.

Or ask the resident perpetrator.

•••
Try reading the thread and past related threads over the past few years
Thats what I have succesfully done and thats why I asked you for an example.
If you don't want to give it, I can do it:

Your mentioned IDNs at the beginning of this thread don't 'look like something else':

Everybody who looks carefully can see that your mentioned IDNs
holíday.com / ৪৪৪.com
don't look like
holiday.com / 888.com
Of course they look similar but it's not hard to see the difference.

Again, it has nothing to do with scam.
Just legal (pure / mixed) IDNs.

Last edited:
•••
Thats what I have succesfully done and thats why I asked you for an example.
If you don't want to give it, I can do it:

Your mentioned IDNs at the beginning of this thread don't 'look like something else'.

Examples:

Everybody who looks carefully can see that your mentioned IDNs
holíday.com / ৪৪৪.com
don't look like
holiday.com / 888.com

Of course they look similar but it's not hard to see the difference.

Really, I wonder why so many people got caught by these and the hundreds of other similar ones or perhaps you are simply smarter than the rest?

Perhaps Sedo & NP's decided to ban many of them because they were so obvious?

•••
Really, I wonder why so many people got caught by these and the hundreds of other similar ones or perhaps you are simply smarter than the rest?

Perhaps Sedo & NP's decided to ban many of them because they were so obvious?

holiday.com
holíday.com

Can you see the difference between those 2 domains?

888.com
৪৪৪.com

Or, can you see the difference between those 2 domains?

I really think you are smart enough to see it.

•••
holiday.com
holíday.com

888.com
৪৪৪.com

Are you simply being obtuse or do you own a few of them and trying to justify them?

•••
Are you simply being obtuse or do you own a few of them and trying to justify them?
The opposite is the case - everybody who is not obtuse can see the difference.
BTW, I don't own them (but others).

There is nothing to justify.
The possibility to register them is the 'justification' already.

•••
The opposite is the case - everybody who is not obtuse can see the difference ;)
BTW, I don't own them (but others).

Yes, I guessed you were trying to justify your ownership of similar names.

"The lady doth protest too much" or similar fit the bill?

•••
Yes, I guessed you were trying to justify your ownership of similar names.

"The lady doth protest too much" or similar fit the bill?

You're just dodging my clear question.
You don't want to admit that you can see the difference because you know if you would admit it, your whole thread would collapse.

Last edited:
•••
Mods, not sure if it's OK to link to an archive, if not remove but it would may save a few more getting caught out.

http://archive.is/9fGOe

•••
Mods, not sure if it's OK to link to an archive, if not remove but it would may save a few more getting caught out.

http://archive.is/9fGOe

You may have good intentions but I hope you will understand the IDNs better one day.
They are part of the web ;)

Last edited:
•••
You may have good intentions but I hope you will understand the IDNs better one day.
They are part of the web ;)

You really have no idea do you?

I have been buying and selling genuine IDN since 2005 and have written more on the subject than most. Particularly on the subject of this thread.

•••
You really have no idea do you?

I have been buying and selling genuine IDN since 2005 and have written more on the subject than most. Particularly on the subject of this thread.

I will continue answering your replys here after you answered (if) my (following, quoted) questions:
holiday.com
holíday.com

888.com
৪৪৪.com

I really think you are smart enough to see it.

Otherwise I am away from this thread.

Last edited:
•••
I will continue answering here after you answered my question:

Otherwise I am away from this thread.

If I said what I really wanted to say to you and people like you who advocate the use of mixed scripts to try to con unsuspecting buyers I would be banned, but I guess saying that you and your kind sadden and sicken me is within acceptable parameters.

But one thing is coming out of this that I did not expect to be saying is that I have decided to resurrect my old blog which will again be dedicated to exposing the fake IDN scams, thanks for that.

•••
If I said what I really wanted to say to you and people like you who advocate the use of mixed scripts to try to con unsuspecting buyers I would be banned, but I guess saying that you and your kind sadden and sicken me is within acceptable parameters.

But one thing is coming out of this that I did not expect to be saying is that I have decided to resurrect my old blog which will again be dedicated to exposing the fake IDN scams, thanks for that.

In this case I still have to reply, just to clarify.

It's really a big insinuation to say that that my or others intetion with (pure / mixed) IDNs is 'to con unsuspecting buyers'.
It's really sad that you think in this way, you shouldn't think that the intention of the owners of (pure / mixed) IDNs are to scam somebody.

We are at namePros here - the place where domain pros talk about different kinds of domains.
IDNs (pure / mixed) are simply a own niche - like CHIPS are a own niche or like 63.DOMAINS are.

Whenever I sell a (pure / mixed) IDN, of course I tell the buyer clearly that it's a (pure / mixed) IDN.
But in 99 % it will be not necessary because 99 % will know by themselve that it's a (pure / mixed) IDN.

And, again, at SEDO every IDN is red marked as an IDN and at the same page it's clearly described to everyone what is an IDN and how it looks as puny code.

Example
https://sedo.com/search/details.php...ain=xn--ol-nja.com&et_sub=1011&origin=parking

@ MODs - thats not my domain (so it's not an 'hidden promo' from me), - I simply want to give @wot and all others who are probably confused about IDNs an example by posting it exactly here.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back