Dynadot

Mistakes you made as a newbie

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Joseph David

Established Member
Impact
As a newbie in the domaining world. What mistakes have you made in regards to name registration or closing a deal or any other mistake you made generally. Let others learn from you.

The experts can also share some info, it will be appreciated.

- As for me I registered some crappy names. I hate seeing them in my portfolio.:shifty::shifty:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
my experience few months ago

1st : bought names based on my own vision and not as a reseller . like , i'l gonna sell those names to me .

2nd : i didn't learn and search sufficiency , i didn't care about SEO , KEYWORDS , ANALYSIS ... etc . i wanted take a unique way , well i did make a little progress and made a sale but i wasted time .

3rd : valuation tools , like godaddy , estibot . i based first time on them and i had the idea to sell domains fast without taking into consideration that some domains took years to be sold and maybe not :shifty:

•••
Though I still consider my domain knowledge equivalent to a newbie, now I have a small portfolio of around 110 domains which doesn't make me feel bad. Some are good, some average, some below average. But the majority of them are saleable but when no one knows.

As a complete newbie, I wasted around $200 on hand reg. on my 2nd day of domaining. But luckily somehow I recovered that amount from this lot. I was surprised when I made a sale of .exchange extension. This was the 3rd name I registered & returned 50% of the amount I spent on the whole lot. Then I sold those names at wholesale price & reinvested in better names after reading this forum for the next 4-5 months. Repeated this again & again. All these 110+ are acquired from domains income only. No fresh capital. Now payment for one small retail sale of $200 is pending, expected to get credited today. Will get more names.

But still, a lot to learn!

Few points -
*Spend at least 3months learning on this forum before investing in your first domain

* stay away from hand reg for 1st year.

* Read & make notes for future reference.

*When you start hand registering names, don't register it immediately. Write the list & look at it at least 4-5 times within 2 or 3 days. If you still feel them worthy, go for it.
Important points..thanx

•••
As a super noob some 15-20 years ago, I had some very good domains that I dropped :oops:

•••
Hand reg too many after first sale from afternic and again hand reg with many .net hufff

but now i focus on auction and maybe .com anyway

•••
Hand registered domains thinking that are really valuable. In fact, they were worthless. But still managed to sell them. So, an advice, there is a buyer for everything but you need to find it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back