NameSilo

Mistakes you made as a newbie

Located in Domain Beginners, started by Joseph David, May 18, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. FolioTeam

FolioTeam AMDB.tv VIP

Had to laugh out loud at that. Now, people around me are like "What's wrong with her?"

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. FolioTeam

FolioTeam AMDB.tv VIP

Oh, I had them registered at Moniker. Had no idea what a Grace Period meant. Come to think of it, had no idea how I came to know of Moniker then. Also had no idea about Namepros whatsoever

Last edited: May 20, 2020 at 5:50 PM
  3. BrandAptly.com

BrandAptly.com Established Member

Very interesting perspective. I'd like to read your thoughts on the business model of hugedomains.com that has over 300k domains in their inventory.

4. dombastic

dombastic Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

I don't count words or letters.

I know where to find them.

5. JMbusiness

JMbusiness Jack M., Premium Domain Name Seller Gold Account

What do you mean by that? I was asking since I have a few such domains for sale. If interested, DM.

6. BaileyUK

BaileyUK Top Contributor VIP

Ok A fair question from somebody new to domaining.

Their several major differences to take note of when comparing a very large player with a history of maintaining a large inventory. And equally the sales to support that model.

Perhaps the first thought you need to install in your mind by comparison is try to see yourself as lets say an enthusiast in an area of interest We also have to identify the majority of NP members as also purely enthusiasts, Yes we have our share of big players (several thousands of domains) But these players have built up a knowledge base usually over many years, likewise they have achieved a sales income to support that model.

Now lets come back to that enthusiasts model. So you strive to learn about domaining (and be successful) What measures do you have in place to assure yourself that you have achieved a level of knowledge to move forward. Yes of course you want to rival the big players, with number of sales under your belt. But your just stepping-out. Now with most Sales models we have controls and regulations then when you have achieved the basics We have the Market itself acting as regulator to your Unchecked enthusiasm. No Such controls in this world of domaining (except the market) So you go ahead and RENT those unlimited amount of assets (Yes domains are purely rented assets) You indeed had the financing in place for that first year of enthusiasm. Now lets hit the reality button - What knowledge have you built your thousands of purchases on. What skills have you acquired to operate and manage that inventory. The big players however have that history, skill, and management level

I could go on and on. Trust me domaining is not a Numbers game - particularly at your (and many other members) level. And even after 20 years I include myself these days

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 11:09 AM
  7. Omer Doron

Omer Doron Established Member

Registering incorrect English words like "Softwares" "Nutritions" and more.

English is not my native language so it was a bit confusing for me.

8. dombastic

dombastic Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

I replied to the other person that not all of the 3 word .com's are worthless.
    And I meant exactly that.

But I don't need yours.

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 3:05 PM
  9. trelgor

trelgor Established Member

"Your domains are pigeon shit"
    "Only invest in exact match keyword domains"
    "Brandables suck"
    "Research data metrics before you buy"
    "Check traffic"
    "Check alternate extensions"
    "Check age"
    "Radio test"
    "Good domains never drop to registration fee level"

I took a couple of years, but I finally freed myself and my profit of all of this bad counsel from another era.

It's about the name, duh.

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 6:23 PM
  10. Mahogany

Mahogany Top Contributor VIP

You aren't getting away that easy. :xf.grin: Pray, do tell and educate us at the same time.

11. BaileyUK

BaileyUK Top Contributor VIP

How comes I didn't spot that ;) .

Come-on Bob I had to think long and hard how to explain the difference between the Big "successful" domainers and us small guys - be nice to delve into your experiences

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 10:37 PM
  12. NLP

NLP Top Contributor VIP

I started in 2010, and did fairly well for a newbie, in that I set studied what was selling, and had my first sale one month after I officially started (on Sedo, a .DE).

I set a few rules for myself, early on: 1) Don't buy anything you can't pronounce, 2) Don't buy anything that doesn't make sense, and 3) Ask, "Who (or what sort of business could possibly need this?"

I did make mistakes, though. My biggest mistakes were:

- Registering too many names that only had a few prospective buyers. (Rule #3 above). Back then, I'd see a handful of companies using similar terms, and think, "Maybe one of these 3-4 will be interested." Now I don't buy anything unless it's clearly a term people are searching for, and if there are at least 2-3 pages of competing companies that are actively advertising using the keywords, or sell/make products that are an exact match.

- "I'll launch a website about this someday." Easier said than done. The days of minisites are (mostly) over, and web development, if done properly, is time consuming. If you aren't interested in the subject matter, you'll be bored (I always think of Elliot Silver's story about TropicalBirds (dot) you-know-what. Back in the day, it had content on it). The point is: it's a lot easier to click and buy a domain than it is to build a quality site on it, and it's a dangerous way to accumulate too many names.

- Quality over quantity. Thankfully, I didn't get in TOO deep of a hole, but at my peak, I had 600 names. Now I'm at 300. It's much easier to manage.

The best way to keep from buying crappy names it to set rules for yourself, and study what's selling (on DNJournal, not just NP). Then buy names that are the same in length, quality, and extension to what's selling.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 12:29 AM
  13. jim h

jim h Upgraded Member Gold Account Blue Account

Registered a lot of meaningless self created words.

14. Mytz.com

Mytz.com Upgraded Member Blue Account

The current situation is that manually registered domain names are difficult to sell at high prices,
    The current market value of 4L.COM is very low,
    In the long run, 4L is a very good choice

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice