Dynadot

Mistaken emails and what to do with them

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

boker

Top Member
Impact
Probably everybody is receiving a good amount of emails by mistake, emails that were meant to somebody with a similar name, emails meant to someone who owned that domain before you, emails meant to another tld. I'm receiving a good few tens of emails a day, some spam, some bills, some account details, some emergencies, some contracts and so one. I've sold a few domains to the owners of the domains which were supposed to receive these emails, but a lot of times they just check my emails and don't really care, even if it's about losing customers or contract. Last night I have received an email from an employee of a company who rebranded to a new name and some emails are still coming to the old name, which is my domain. The email was saying that he is at a load in Oregon( a transport company) and has some issues, regarding a detention and somebody needs to contact him. I've contacted the company letting them know that one of their employees has an emergency, but they don't really cared, they sent an email that somebody will contact me next week. The company is a multi million dollar company, with lots of funding received and around 50 employees in US, so not really small company. I own the domain from 2016, they have changed their name is 2019, but still receiving a good number of emails, some important. There is another way to benefit from these emails and make them aware that they should care about the lost customers and everything else? Did you tried something else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My bet is the emails that are "offers to buy" the name addressed to "look like" they are for old domain owner are going to turn out to be an appraisal scam. Get new leads to different email.

Last edited:
•••
My bet is the emails that are "offers to buy" the name addressed to "look like" they are for old domain owner are going to turn out to be an appraisal scam. Get new leads to different email.
They are not 'offers to buy', they are bills, request for a quote, login details to an account, request for a meeting and so one. They are sent to the old email address of the domain, like [email protected], [email protected] and so on

•••
•••
Send them to junk.
The junk one's yes, but the good one's I forward them to the rightful address and after a couple of forwards I contact them to give them a hint that I'm selling all my domains and they could benefit from this. It worked three times until now, but it's not working every time. Sometime they open the emails 10-20 times(I'm tracking them) but they don't take any action, sometime they don't even open the emails.

Last edited:
•••
Probably everybody is receiving a good amount of emails by mistake, emails that were meant to somebody with a similar name, emails meant to someone who owned that domain before you, emails meant to another tld. I'm receiving a good few tens of emails a day, some spam, some bills, some account details, some emergencies, some contracts and so one. I've sold a few domains to the owners of the domains which were supposed to receive these emails, but a lot of times they just check my emails and don't really care, even if it's about losing customers or contract. Last night I have received an email from an employee of a company who rebranded to a new name and some emails are still coming to the old name, which is my domain. The email was saying that he is at a load in Oregon( a transport company) and has some issues, regarding a detention and somebody needs to contact him. I've contacted the company letting them know that one of their employees has an emergency, but they don't really cared, they sent an email that somebody will contact me next week. The company is a multi million dollar company, with lots of funding received and around 50 employees in US, so not really small company. I own the domain from 2016, they have changed their name is 2019, but still receiving a good number of emails, some important. There is another way to benefit from these emails and make them aware that they should care about the lost customers and everything else? Did you tried something else?

Oddly it's one thing I can say I have never received. Never gotten an email intended for someone else. Now it could be that I don't think I ever set up emails for domains I own except industry related blogs.

I think it's good to contact the real end user if you can.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back