Dynadot

advice Misspelled words

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Boris Kingston

Established Member
Impact
So are domains that are purposely misspelled after actual words valuable?

Like is sleeeve.com valuable?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This would depend on how much traffic the correctly spelt domain would get.

Like for example ... Youtube.com would prob get a few million direct visits per day...so a misspelt domain like youtub.com would probably be raking in a decent amount of direct typo traffic... so unless it's trademarked a domain like that would be high value.

In your example, I'm not sure..but how many people would be directly typing in the correct spelt domain: sleeve.com into their browsers? I don't think it's going to be that much...so the amount traffic that sleeeve.com could get from mistypes are probably not that high...

But this is just my opinion... I could be wrong. I mean as the old saying goes, a domain is worth as much as someone is wiling to pay for it. :)

•••
Misspelled domain names are referred to as "typos". It's estimated that there are approximately 280+ typo domains for each of the top 3200 Alexa ranked domains. I have a couple of typo domains, but it was accidental. I was tired and just misspelled when registering the domains!

Here's an old, but good article on typos:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18542-typos-may-earn-google-500m-a-year/

•••
•••
This would depend on how much traffic the correctly spelt domain would get.

Like for example ... Youtube.com would prob get a few million direct visits per day...so a misspelt domain like youtub.com would probably be raking in a decent amount of direct typo traffic... so unless it's trademarked a domain like that would be high value.

In your example, I'm not sure..but how many people would be directly typing in the correct spelt domain: sleeve.com into their browsers? I don't think it's going to be that much...so the amount traffic that sleeeve.com could get from mistypes are probably not that high...

But this is just my opinion... I could be wrong. I mean as the old saying goes, a domain is worth as much as someone is wiling to pay for it. :)

What about santanderr.com which is the misspelled version santander.com

•••
What about santanderr.com which is the misspelled version santander.com

This might be a tricky one as there could be legal ramifications for you. I'm assuming Santander is a U.S brand and they are TM.

•••
I would do much more research and reading before investing one penny in typos. Unless you have money to burn. There are a number of factors to consider when committing funds to a domain. I wish you much success.

•••
Santander is a bank. You will lose it in UDRP. Just look at all the citibank udrp losses.

I did manage to sell flyswater.com for mid xxx a couple months after hand regging so guess it depends on the name. But my advice is not to go regging mispelling of trademarks/businesses.

•••
Just couple of days ago NOOTE.com was sold on SEDO for 4K Euros

It actually depends on the domain name

•••
^Yea was curious about that while the proper spelling (assuming it's NOTE) .com .net .org all settle as parking pages ...
Couldn't find any translations for it either in case it's a real word

•••
Thank you guys for the invaluable advice. Cheers!

•••
The ccTLD for Ireland is now unrestricted so that's a big plus.
Sure about that ? AFAIK it's still restricted. Besides...
No secondary market: In order to prevent cybersquatting on the .ie domain space it is prohibited for a domain holder to sell their domain name, unless included as part of the sale of a business. If it is clear that a domain name has been sold it can be deleted with five working days notice.

•••
•••
I see such names accepted on BB

•••
•••
Any examples?

coasterr, etherr, smasherr, slumberr, reboott, easilyy, richlyy, monthh, skirtt, endearr, chicck, recyycle, shhield, luucid, shaapely, saltyy, mightt, recentt, and many many more......all in com, all on BB. @Dnbolt reported the BB sale of creatorr.

P.S. Because they are on BB doesn't mean they will sell.

•••
Any examples?

I have subtl.com listed on BB.
I've always described it as a polished and concise contraction of "subtle". No TM infringement.

•••
I got V / i / r / t / a / u / l /.com recently. I thought someone might like it because it can be pronounced with either 2 or 3 syllables. I didn't even think about typo traffic for it, now I'm a little curious about it.

•••
I haven't put it on there but BB approved Beginna.com. More a brandable than a typo though in my opinion.

•••
coasterr, etherr, smasherr, slumberr, reboott, easilyy, richlyy, monthh, skirtt, endearr, chicck, recyycle, shhield, luucid, shaapely, saltyy, mightt, recentt, and many many more......all in com, all on BB. @Dnbolt reported the BB sale of creatorr.

Oh my... Those are really bad names IMO. Especially stuff like shhield, monthh, recyycle, shaapely...

•••

Looks like you put your opinion in quotes as well @nomen

•••
I got a typo which could be classified in all classes : V/i/r/t/u/a/l/R/e/a/l/i/f/y .com
Its a typo of "f" for a "t", which are pretty close on the keyboard.
Its pronounceable.
Its still gotta meaning.
Hence sorta EMD!

•••
•••
Misspelled Domains are valuable some what depending on the popularity, CPC and commercial value of the original word. Only one clever spelling mistake is allowed. In your case Sleeve I do not see any Commercial value. Misspelled Domains can expect parking revenue if there is a direct browser traffic for it. In your case You can expect max up to $100 as I do not even see any Browser traffic for this domain

•••
coasterr, etherr, smasherr, slumberr, reboott, easilyy, richlyy, monthh, skirtt, endearr, chicck, recyycle, shhield, luucid, shaapely, saltyy, mightt, recentt, and many many more......all in com, all on BB.

Shhield recently reported sold by @Dnbolt on DNBolt.com

I wonder if the buyer liked the silent "Shh" behind the Shhield purchase. Sorta like a stealth like shield.

Last edited:
•••
Back