IT.COM

domains Mike Mann wants GoDaddy to give him all of their domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mr-x

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
What a headline.

TL;DR - Mike Mann wants GoDaddy to give him its domain portfolio. He'll drop the crap and sell the top 25% for a reasonable commission. He demands this would be best for GoDaddy stock holders.

I lookup up Chutzpah on the Internets and found this:
mike-mann-225x300.jpg

https://domaingang.com/domain-news/...with-a-godaddy-plan-give-me-all-your-domains/

Also, he has a beef with an unnamed GoDaddy employee.
Screenshot from 2019-06-12 13-50-29.png

That ends this episode of Domainer Soaps.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

It works both ways...

When used as a benchmark by a potential seller, they do influence the seller and also give the seller a false sense of the value of a domain name. ;)

•••
It works both ways...

When used as a benchmark by a potential seller, they do influence the seller and also give the seller a false sense of the value of a domain name. ;)

Very true

•••
To be honest, Godaddy Valuation tool is destructive to domainers and costing us sales.

Imagine you priced your domain $10,000 (USD) and right under it, Godaddy placed link to their "Estimated Value". When the buyer clicked on the link, they will see -
Estimated Value: $1,377 (USD). Do you think the buyer would want to continue?

And this may be a domain name you bought for $2,000+

That's not fair to domainers. Godaddy is being extremely self-serving with the tool

Bingo. Been saying this for ages. There is absolutely no way to compare non-unique intangible assets like these things do. I, too, have lost deals to people who just dont want to hear that the value of the domain name, to their business use, has zero to do with these "tools". There is only one "xxxxxxxx.com" domain - none other compares to it and it compares to none other. IMO.

•••
To be honest, Godaddy Valuation tool is destructive to domainers and costing us sales.

Imagine you priced your domain $10,000 (USD) and right under it, Godaddy placed link to their "Estimated Value". When the buyer clicked on the link, they will see -
Estimated Value: $1,377 (USD). Do you think the buyer would want to continue?

And this may be a domain name you bought for $2,000+

That's not fair to domainers. Godaddy is being extremely self-serving with the tool

Theoretically, this should benefit domainers more than sellers because most worthless domains are appraised at $xxxx (or at least more than they are worth) and there are more shitty domains than there are good ones by orders of magnitude.

Theoretically, this should only affect people who sell good domains negatively.

•••
Godaddy's perspective is different from domainers.

1 - their profit margins are high in the total (domain and all others services), non-individual (just domains) and.. that is why good domain have low price,, and bad domain high price.

2 - They offer a service which includes but is not limited to domain names, so, they try to offer these services in the same way as other of their products.

3 - Godaddy domain apraisal it is a marketing tool to attract attention to itself of hundreds or millions of customers.

The best thing that domainers who respect themselves can do is not sell domains in godaddy

Last edited:
•••
While I agree with many of the points raised, I do think the Godaddy tool is extraordinary but on a relative basis only. Pound for pound it will spot the gems from a list. You just need to have a multiplier in mind, and know where they are at. If they value between $1300-1700, I would say they are way off (as in too high) about 20% of the time. But above $2,000 you better be watchin :D

•••
What a headline.

TL;DR - Mike Mann wants GoDaddy to give him it's domain portfolio. He'll drop the crap and sell the top 25% for a reasonable commission. He demands this would be best for GoDaddy stock holders.

I lookup up Chutzpah on the Internets and found this: Show attachment 121132
https://domaingang.com/domain-news/...with-a-godaddy-plan-give-me-all-your-domains/

Also, he has a beef with an unnamed GoDaddy employee.
Show attachment 121133

That ends this episode of Domainer Soaps.

OK, here is my offer to Mike Mann:

He hands over all his domains to me for free. And in return I guarantee to him his current net after renewals/commissions etc. + 10%, with annual increase of 2% into perpetuity.

•••
@Joe Styler

If I were you, I would read this thread very carefully !!!
I also know of a domainname, and there you could see "similar domainsales" (when I did a search of the similar namewith another extention - I know which one sold high in the past) and you see "earlier similar sold at +25.000". in fact I know this sale very well. It was a sale of 125.000 USD !!!
If Godddy reports similar sales, it's beter not to mention +25.000 for a sale of a domain in the past that went 125.000 USD !!!!
For this other tool : similar sales => this should be more accurate.
Mentioning "+25.000" as similar domain, so much lower then the actual sellprice suggets the wurth of a domain you want to register or sell, much less thenit actually is !!!! I would agree with "100.000 USD" or "between 100.000 and 150.00 USD", but not +25.000 .

•••
who really cares about this guys crazy ego .

•••
who really cares about this guys crazy ego .

Render to Caesar what is Caesar’s

without lies...Mike M, is is the domainer that we all want to be, both in his sense of smell to discover treasures and in his negotiations, I do not see ego here, I see just someone who defends his, yours and mine business

•••
A deal like that would never be possible get real .

•••
I speak from experience here, I ran a large forum based site and had crazies showing up at my door threatening my family because they were banned from the forum.

Whoa? Seriously? What happened?

Last edited:
•••
OK, here is my offer to Mike Mann:

He hands over all his domains to me for free. And in return I guarantee to him his current net after renewals/commissions etc. + 10%, with annual increase of 2% into perpetuity.

Sounds confident! Is there a secret sauce here?

•••
Money does not give you power, Mr Mann should be more careful on the internet.
I speak from experience here, I ran a large forum based site and had crazies showing up at my door threatening my family because they were banned from the forum.

Money won't protect from crazy people, the best thing is to forget and move on.
If you can't do that at least plan your revenge in private.

Very terrible :xf.frown:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back