Dynadot

Management of your domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

wamfolio

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

Im doing a bit of research and im curious on all of your "day to day" management needs of your domains

How do you manage all of your domains? and websites? do you have a system?

thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I do that with my own marketplace hosted by efty. I can check expenses, renewals, sales...

I've been a little lazy at the moment ( busy doing other things ) so I don't have any websites developed yet. :(

•••
•••
I've started to use Domain MOD - it's supplied free with my hosting.

•••
I find Scrivener works well for me. It is marketed as a tool for writers but I find it is easy to fit domains into the same structure.

•••
Tip: Remember to put SSL on your site before taking people's user data / payment info. Will mildly boost search engine rankings too.

Good luck with your program. We are developing one as well, lots to think about.

•••
Great question. We use Watch My Domains Pro v4. I've been using this program for awhile now... well worth the $49 cost for a single license. We manage 1500 - 1600 domains with it.

•••
Great question. We use Watch My Domains Pro v4. I've been using this program for awhile now... well worth the $49 cost for a single license. We manage 1500 - 1600 domains with it.

cool thanks for the info..looks ok.. but doesnt bring in data like from google adsense? so you cant see your true asset value or P/L

Also its windows based? not web?

How big is the program?

•••
I use excel with a lot of calculations and covers over nearly 40 values. Does not factor in parking revenues and other costs tho

•••
•••
DomainMOD is awesome. Free and works great

•••
Notepad.exe
Whic Free
My WP website

•••
Efty man, efty.

That was a game changer for me. Other ways and platforms I tried were so tedious and wasted so much time and still didn't do everything I wanted.
Slow admin panel, not flexible and poor design.

•••
•••
•••
@anantj @creataweb

What sort of calculations are you doing if you dont mind me asking?

An automatic split of the domain name into name and extension, length, Age, time to expiration with highlighting, tax + renewal + a couple of other values to calculate total cost. Correspondingly, also calculate the profit factoring in commissions, forex charges etc. and so on... A few others more specific implementation for my own process. I'm also considering using a whois lookup directly from the worksheet to automate it further.

In total, worksheet has 35 columns.

•••
@anantj thanks for this reply its useful for me to see the differences in how people work..

In my current update that im coding at the moment this includes a domain age column that automatically grabs the age of the domain via whois

my extended record screen also uses a whois to look this info up per record/domain

All of the profit calculations are done so you can actually see your asset/records true asset value (Profit/Loss) via the table

in terms of taxes... do you mean taxes when you purchase domains? or are you factoring in local country specific taxes (corporation?)

thanks

•••
in terms of taxes... do you mean taxes when you purchase domains? or are you factoring in local country specific taxes (corporation?)
Taxes when I purchase a domain. My country has recently introduced a 15% tax for almost all digital goods and services (web hosting, domain sales etc). Pretty much what I track and add it to my final cost (which also includes renewals)

•••
•••
Taxes when I purchase a domain. My country has recently introduced a 15% tax for almost all digital goods and services (web hosting, domain sales etc). Pretty much what I track and add it to my final cost (which also includes renewals)

thanks for that.. in my country the basic rate is 20% so this is a worthwhile factor to include - thanks :)

Where do you get it from?

google is your friend

•••
•••
https://domainmod.org/

Haven't tried it yet, but it looks promising!
I've tried it and have an active installation of it though I don't use it much yet due to complications in setting it up (which are probably something to do with me or my host). DomainMod is also available through softaculous for a pain-free 1-click installation though you'll then not be on the latest updates pushed by @demaxxus (The creator and maintainer for DomainMod and also an NP member)

There's also a thread on DomainMod - https://www.namepros.com/threads/domainmod-self-hosted-open-source-domain-management.930039/

Disclaimer: No affiliation or association with either Greg or DomainMod except as a user of the software. While I do recommend DomainMod, please perform your own due diligence.

•••
DomainMod is also available through softaculous for a pain-free 1-click installation though you'll then not be on the latest updates pushed by @demaxxus (The creator and maintainer for DomainMod and also an NP member)

Correcting this to what I actually meant:

What I meant to say was that you might not get updates as fast through softaculous as compared to directly from Github. But the installation will be more stable as I assume Softaculous does perform some vetting before updating apps in their library. In any case, the following options are available for installing DomainMod:
  • Softaculous - Your hosting provider must support this and imo, this will be more stable but older than the latest codebase from Github
  • Github: More technical installation but you'll be on the bleeding edge of the code which means things might potentially break and bugs might manifest.

•••
if you are new or more advanced
epik.com
has a feature to add your domains
very well worth having a lock

•••
I use excel to manage my domains. I've tried lots of online systems, but I always use my spreadsheets. I also have a couple of marketplaces of my own and I use efty landers.

But for actual management, I love my spreadsheets. I have about 1000 domains and I like to be able to sort them all kinds of ways and excel is the best for me.

•••
@anantj @creataweb

What sort of calculations are you doing if you dont mind me asking?

Nothing crazy. Just a spreadsheet (not Excel) with a few things that I like to have for sorting and tracking. Mostly expirations, description, price paid, renewals, extension.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back