Dynadot

discuss Making Your Domain Portfolio Recession-proof

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DN Playbook

Established Member
Impact
One of the biggest liabilities a domain investor faces is renewing domains. It is mostly due to following the volume/quality balance model and relying on sales to maintain a healthy cashflow. This works well until sales slow down due to changes in the economic climate. Read entire article.

Making Your Domain Portfolio Recession-proof

👆

You may have more thoughts/ideas. Please share your experience.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I agree 1000% with Rick, Cash Is King , in an economic downturn it is good to evaluate your assets, domain names being assets , i apply the same rule to them as any other asset , Risk vs Reward. Investment vs current wholesale and retail value . During the last recession I didn’t even think of liquidating my portfolio , however I did trim off higher risk names that had market depreciation above 20% .

Holding liquid or what I call living domains , housing market , automobile , basically necessity niches. I have no issue with renewal fees and holding , the ROI will be there when the market recovers , names in the “Trend” market niches I evaluate as to where the tend is at , if the trend has faded over 30% of its original popularity , I will consider trimming that name from my portfolio , good GEO domains I never consider liquidating , that along with liquid domains. those domains go nowhere and stay no matter how bad the recession gets.

Most everything that goes up, comes down , then will recover and go back up. If I know my domain has the upside to become a e-commerce or brick and mortar commodity or commodities , it’s cash to me , not cash in the hand while the recession takes place , but is money waiting to return after the recession .

•••
I feel like my portfolio always in recession and doing well in recession and lockdown. Make me wonder, why things work otherway for you guys.

•••
I feel like my portfolio always in recession and doing well in recession and lockdown. Make me wonder, why things work otherway for you guys.

Doing well Maybe not only because of your portfolio type of domains , it is because of your pricing maybe low at xxx level .

•••
Doing well Maybe not only because of your portfolio type of domains , it is because of your pricing maybe low at xxx level .

Nope most of my domains priced between $2k to $3k. And i had low 5 figure sale during initial lockdown.

•••
Nope most of my domains priced between $2k to $3k. And i had low 5 figure sale during initial lockdown.
Same here, as odd as it seemed , I am thinking that people had decided to enter into e-commerce , Shopify and ect , and that is why my sales actually went up during covid , the offers have been of a higher amount as well throughout covid ,

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back