Dynadot

discuss Making a living from domain investing!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello,

Does anyone here make a living exclusively from DOMAIN INVESTING or could you live if you wanted to?
-----

I am curious to know how many users actually live from buying and selling domains or make a good sales in year to living from it.

I'd love to that making his living form domain investing give some advice for those of us who have it only a hobby with small extra per year.
I am sure there are many living a good Life with selling domains in namepros.

Tag to everyone you meet for some good advice !!! :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am aiming for that but still far from it.

•••
It's possible i think. You need quality and patience, may be a one time big domain sale can help you to reach this goal!

PS: i'm register, renew, holding and parking for sale at sedo.com marketplace 10 domains strong, most of them .com's.

GLTA!

Last edited:
•••
Oh yeah. Here on NamePros you have quite a few people (amongst the active ones) who are doing domaining full time (I am not one of them), and I guess they don't complain.

But in order to get there you need years of experience to fully understand the flow, you need a clear vision - a strategy (or even strategies) that work, some good software and lots of patience.

•••
Oh yeah. Here on NamePros you have quite a few people (amongst the active ones) who are doing domaining full time (I am not one of them), and I guess they don't complain.

But in order to get there you need years of experience to fully understand the flow, you need a clear vision - a strategy (or even strategies) that work, some good software and lots of patience.

And many of these people have also made their mistakes at an earlier stage.

•••
And many of these people have also made their mistakes at an earlier stage.

I think all of them. And probably still do sometimes, just on a much lower level. At the end it's just about a ratio of right decisions vs bad ones.

•••
In domaining you have only 3 things to choose:
Buy or not
Sell or not
Renew or not

•••
I was going to ask this same question.. hehehe but well..

thanks for asking it...

•••
•••
There are a lot of people who do. I personally know a lot of people who makes low 6 figures to mid 6 figures.

•••
A one time sale can change your life, yes i believe! Patience please. Good one's will sell. GLTA!

•••
If you have a capital to risk, extensive industry knowledge and smart strategies, yes, you can do it.

Last edited:
•••
A one time sale can change your life, yes i believe! Patience please. Good one's will sell. GLTA!

mmm... not sure in 2021. If one sale can change your life in this year I think need more luck than work.
In 2008 yes!

•••
mmm... not sure in 2021. If one sale can change your life in this year I think need more luck than work.
In 2008 yes!

Depends on the name, right?

•••
Depends on the name, right?
Of Course but tell me a domain registered or buy in 2018-2021 when the owner has gained a lot of money to change her life for ever.
Many years ago it was possible, now it is also possible but I think have a lot of lucky to hit a "long shot" with only one domain.

•••
It is certainly doable with enough capital committed.

The question to ask yourself is:

How much do I need a month to "make a living?"

If you have a stable job that is paying all of your bills and still leaving you extra to speculate with in the domain industry, I personally wouldn't want to give it up because I began consistently earning 2-3x my monthly wage. Perhaps after a year of consistent income but only if it was because the hours I was working that stable job were actually causing me to earn less money.

So if you're earning 50k/year from your current job and earn another 150k in a year from domaining, keep both. Unless you are sure the only reason you can't earn 200k, 250k and beyond is because of the hours you are working elsewhere.

Back to the "how much do I need to make a living?" question. You can buy and sell domain names anywhere in the world. Granted some money transfers can be harder through Paypal and such depending on where you live. But if you're living in an expensive apartment in a city when you could live more rural or suburban or less money, you should probably consider that as well. It isn't just rent and mortgage that will drop but also vehicle insurance rates and even groceries and fuel. If you're in the US, are you paying a 10% state income tax? Consider a state that doesn't charge an income tax.

•••
My personal experience has been its not possible, but many in this forum seem to have a lot of success and are full time domainers. But personally I do a sale a year or so which covers cost of my renewals to some extent but in the past 10 years, I doubt I have still made any profits with domains even after a couple of $$$$ sales. I think its a game of patience, waiting to get the domains worth at the right time and expecting one or two of your investments click giving you net profit on your returns!

•••
Experience, knowledge, capital, patience, timing, luck ...among other things, sure. Tough road making it as a newbie / person that lacks most of the factors mentioned. I don't do domaining full time, but I enjoy it (I'll add "enjoy what you do" to the list)

Last edited:
•••
would a newby with a decent name be better off using a broker, i just dont see auctions getting much exposure.

•••
would a newby with a decent name be better off using a broker, i just dont see auctions getting much exposure.
If you're a newbie, that just happens to own a nice "dot com" worth thousands...maybe. At the very least, it helps

•••
If you're a newbie, that just happens to own a nice "dot com" worth thousands...maybe. At the very least, it helps
i dont actually know the worth, been trying to get $25k+ but have only been offered around 4k for it. eFad.com

•••
i dont actually know the worth, been trying to get $25k+ but have only been offered around 4k for it. eFad.com
I remember you mentioning that one before. Decent domain, definitely qualifies as thousands and beyond (end user)

http://www.efad.org/en-us/home/

A little outbound. Email them, offers accepted. Hope this helps

Last edited:
•••
Very interesting thread!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back