IT.COM

domain LunchTicket.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Impact
Hi there,
I am the owner of the name and need appraisals for end-user price.
Thanks to all participating.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I like the name.

I wouldn’t sell it below mid $x,xxx to an end user.

•••
Not bad, I think it’s worth high $$$ at best.

•••
I think it's a great domain and would price it at $25-45k personally.

The .org is in use. The name is nostalgic and brandable at the same time while having positive connotations. Saying something is your "meal ticket" puts it in a positive light. While this is not "meal ticket", it still has a similar meaning and feel in the United States. If you look at the .org, it has nothing to do with lunch which proves it's brandable potential. There could also be use in the food industry regarding restaurant promotions, or some type of contract with school districts for lunch programs.

If you set it up a page with a $45k price and an option for lease-to-own payments over 60 months, it'll only be $750 per month. For a company with 3 employees their overhead is likely going to be $30k plus per month. For a great brandable domain, $750 per month would be peanuts.

Last edited:
•••
The name is nostalgic
I’ve never heard this phrase before. Just shows you how everyone’s experience is different. Multiple perspectives are important.

•••
I’ve never heard this phrase before. Just shows you how everyone’s experience is different. Multiple perspectives are important.

True. Not really a phrase, but everyone had their prepaid “lunch ticket” when I was a kid, to get their lunch at school.

•••
•••
Two votes for $$,$$$ is a great appraisal. I was clearly way off here since I had never heard the phrase before.

•••
25-45k? Well, good luck with that... My opinion is that it's probably possible, but 95% chance that you'll be waiting for the end-user for the next 10+ years...
But from the other hand I am not an American, and this phrase doesn't ring the bell for me in terms of memories and childhood. If it's nostalgetic for the ''right'' generation - maybe you'll sell faster...

•••
25-45k? Well, good luck with that... My opinion is that it's probably possible, but 95% chance that you'll be waiting for the end-user for the next 10+ years...
But from the other hand I am not an American, and this phrase doesn't ring the bell for me in terms of memories and childhood. If it's nostalgetic for the ''right'' generation - maybe you'll sell faster...

That's the way most everything works in business. Take a look at the logo pricing video below (I've watched it about 4 or more times). The parallels to the domain industry are very eye opening. Is a $500 logo the same as a $30k logo? Sometimes it is.

As domain investors, we need to decide if we are going to sell to real businesses vs side businesses & people with "ideas" (or even other domain investors).

Rick Schwartz repeatedly says that he's not interested in selling to someone running a "lemonade stand". What is a "lemonade stand"? Probably something that has a maximum revenue potential in the $xxx-$x,xxx range per month. That type of business likely can't hire 1 employee and someone can't live off of that kind of revenue. So why sell to them? The correct course is for them to buy LunchTicket(.)net and run on that for a couple years, grow, then switch over to LunchTicket(.)com.

As Rick correctly compares the value of domains on his landers, a tiny kiosk/cart in your local mall will cost you $2,000 per month. That is 1 cart in 1 mall to sell a limited number of products. You'll pay this for as long as you have the business. One person online reported at the Grove in Los Angeles they charge about $4k-$5k per month for a kiosk.

So for selling to a real business, I would say $25k-$45k. But you could wait your whole life for a real business to want to use this name. That's how it works. Many of my domains in the $2,500-$2,500 haven't sold in 10 years either. For anyone that has a 1% sell-through rate, you have an 81.79% chance that you'll still own any given domain 20 years from now.

Selling to someone with an idea is going to be more common, and there's a greater possibility that you'll sell it faster in the $2,500-$7,500 range. I have purchased probably 20 domains in the $1,000-$7,500 range based on "ideas" over the years. So do you want to sell to someone like me, who has a 90% chance of not really using it in business, or an actual funded business that is ready to go?

So to summarize, there are always selling "options'. In this case, based on my opinion, you could:
  • Wait for the ideal, real business at $25k-$45k+.
  • Sell to someone with an "idea" in the $2,500-$7,500 range, potentially faster.
  • Sell to to a domain investor. I'd buy it for $500 today. :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
That's the way most everything works in business. Take a look at the logo pricing video below (I've watched it about 4 or more times). The parallels to the domain industry are very eye opening. Is a $500 logo the same as a $30k logo? Sometimes it is.

As domain investors, we need to decide if we are going to sell to real businesses vs side businesses & people with "ideas" (or even other domain investors).

Rick Schwartz repeatedly says that he's not interested in selling to someone running a "lemonade stand". What is a "lemonade stand"? Probably something that has a maximum revenue potential in the $xxx-$x,xxx range per month. That type of business likely can't hire 1 employee and someone can't live off of that kind of revenue. So why sell to them? The correct course is for them to buy LunchTicket(.)net and run on that for a couple years, grow, then switch over to LunchTicket(.)com.

As Rick correctly compares the value of domains on his landers, a tiny kiosk/cart in your local mall will cost you $2,000 per month. That is 1 cart in 1 mall to sell a limited number of products. You'll pay this for as long as you have the business. One person online reported at the Grove in Los Angeles they charge about $4k-$5k per month for a kiosk.

So for selling to a real business, I would say $25k-$45k. But you could wait your whole life for a real business to want to use this name. That's how it works. Many of my domains in the $2,500-$2,500 haven't sold in 10 years either. For anyone that has a 1% sell-through rate, you have an 81.79% chance that you'll still own any given domain 20 years from now.

Selling to someone with an idea is going to be more common, and there's a greater possibility that you'll sell it faster in the $2,500-$7,500 range. I have purchased probably 20 domains in the $1,000-$7,500 range based on "ideas" over the years. So do you want to sell to someone like me, who has a 90% chance of not really using it in business, or an actual funded business that is ready to go?

So to summarize, there are always selling "options'. In this case, based on my opinion, you could:
  • Sell to someone with an "idea" in the $2,500-$7,500 range, potentially faster.

Dam - that was some good viewing :xf.smile:

No wonder you watched it a few times, will be doing the same........

•••

First - thanks for the video! Matter of fact, I've seen it already, I think you posted it on some other thread previously, It's very interesting, and yes, definetely, to the degree related to domaining.

As for the general idea of pricing - I couldn't agree more with you. I definitely think you are right, this is exactly how it works (your summary on 3 types of ''buyers'').

However, we are talking about the specific domain - LunchTicket.com. To me it simply not ''out of this world piece of art'' to keep for 20 years. It's a solid name, but exactly as you say (point ''b'' on your last options, paraphrised a bit) - you can sell it for 2000-5000 within couple years or less, eat something, and buy another 3-4 very similar domains for the range of 500-1000. Then leave one of them for 20+ years if you want to and ''work'' the same style with the rest. That what I would do, but of course there are different strategies. Maybe owner has 100 similar good names in the pocket, then sure enough he can leave this one hanging online for the next generation. But just because he asked for appraisal, I kinda doubt it. He might ''starve to death'' selling this name during 20 years, if the rest of the portfolio is not very promising. So, it is actually more the question of general portfolio strategy.

Also, it seems that you are either the owner or in the management of NameWorth.com (great appraisal tool, by the way, I signed for the the ''light'' plan for a few months already, and use it a a supportive tool sometimes). But NameWorth actually estmates LunchTicket.com as 14500 on a Retail Level, and that's exactly what I was thinking too, even before running the check (writing previous post, I didn't know the result). So, you may want to adjust your own system, if you don't agree with it ;)

But very appreciate your opinion and thoughts, always read your posts with great interest.

•••
You hit the nail on the head. Many appraisals given by individuals are based on the seller's strategy and current situation. We could all use an extra $5k this month, but I try to put out there what I'd try to do with the name when I'm running it like a business that doesn't have an immediate revenue need.

I'm also coming from the perspective of having 7,500+ domains and most of them I've had for 5+ years and having no problem to wait for the right buyer for the "good ones" and "great ones". So, adjust based on what your current objectives are. I'd always keep in mind if you have an asking price of $29k on a domain, they can always ask you if you'd take less. But if you have a $2,500 price, you aren't getting any more than that.

Just before the pandemic I was asked this about TheSchoolOfDance(.)com. They were a 1-studio dance business and I knew their offer price was more in line with what makes sense to them. They put their cards on the table, and had it not been for the pandemic, we probably would have made a deal. But, at the same time, it's also possible that a national dance chain opens up and would want a name like this. So, I've been more inclined to price to the best use, and adjust downward for smaller clients if they are open and honest with their intentions.

But your point really touches on another phenomenon in domain investing. How domain investors personally value a particular domain. For most domain investors this might seem like a "good domain", but to me, for some reason it is a "great domain". All you'd need to do is wait for 1 other business in the world to feel the same way.

Yes, I built NameWorth and while I agree with the results it gives for "good domains" and "great domains" most of the time, there's times when I double the results or cut them in half and that is still in-the-ballpark of the tool. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems to me there is a "better than average" chance of selling this domain. So to me, I'll bump up the price based on that.

In our NameWorth 3.0 release next month, there will be some accuracy improvements in the $10k-$100k range, but I don't think this domain will be affected by the planned changes. Personally, I'd still double the result, stick with it, and see what happens.

Last edited:
•••
Fantastic feedback. I have taken @NameBuyer.com ’s advice on an offer I received recently. The domain in my opinion is a potentially great brand, so even though the appraisal results show a low 4-figure (and zero on Estibot), I am asking for a mid 5-figure.

Let’s see how we go 🤞

Last edited:
•••
You hit the nail on the head. Many appraisals given by individuals are based on the seller's strategy and current situation. We could all use an extra $5k this month, but I try to put out there what I'd try to do with the name when I'm running it like a business that doesn't have an immediate revenue need.

I'm also coming from the perspective of having 7,500+ domains and most of them I've had for 5+ years and having no problem to wait for the right buyer for the "good ones" and "great ones". So, adjust based on what your current objectives are. I'd always keep in mind if you have an asking price of $29k on a domain, they can always ask you if you'd take less. But if you have a $2,500 price, you aren't getting any more than that.

Just before the pandemic I was asked this about TheSchoolOfDance(.)com. They were a 1-studio dance business and I knew their offer price was more in line with what makes sense to them. They put their cards on the table, and had it not been for the pandemic, we probably would have made a deal. But, at the same time, it's also possible that a national dance chain opens up and would want a name like this. So, I've been more inclined to price to the best use, and adjust downward for smaller clients if they are open and honest with their intentions.

But your point really touches on another phenomenon in domain investing. How domain investors personally value a particular domain. For most domain investors this might seem like a "good domain", but to me, for some reason it is a "great domain". All you'd need to do is wait for 1 other business in the world to feel the same way.

Yes, I built NameWorth and while I agree with the results it gives for "good domains" and "great domains" most of the time, there's times when I double the results or cut them in half and that is still in-the-ballpark of the tool. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems to me there is a "better than average" chance of selling this domain. So to me, I'll bump up the price based on that.

In our NameWorth 3.0 release next month, there will be some accuracy improvements in the $10k-$100k range, but I don't think this domain will be affected by the planned changes. Personally, I'd still double the result, stick with it, and see what happens.

Totally agree, it's all about the strategy - portfolio, financial situation and other factors.

If you have 7500+ domains even with 1% selling rate (which I honestly think is higher in your case), you are looking to sell approx 6 names this month, from which you probably priced at least 4 the way you priced LunchTicket (25-45k) - so, you don't have to worry about turning ''quicker'' cash.

But for most of the investors it's not the case unfortunately. Me personally - I need to make money out of a much smaller portfolio, and make it every month to support my other, my struggling during pandemic main business (travel agency).

And that's I think exactly two approaches that we described. You are running marathons with your names, while others (me included) currently more like sprinters. So that's where two pricing models are coming from.

About your comparison regarding going down from $29000 or $5000 in price. Absolutely right, it's much nicer going from 29000 than from 5000, but those will be 2 completely different customers, we can't compare them in reality. The end user one who can pay 5000 will never look at the domain that was estimated at 29000. It's a pure psychology, he will think ''I can't go buy BMW with $500'' (even though maybe the seller would agree in reality - but that's what domainers know, not the end user).

Now, one more thing to add about pricing. In my opinion, it is also important not to overestimate it too much by doing the proper research on the industry you are ''selling''.
If you price TheSchoolOfDance (I took your sample, but the price is absolutely random, I didn't do any checks), let's say at 15000k ready to wait for the next 10 years, it's good. But if there are 10 shorter domains (DanceSchool, SchoolOfDance, YourDanceSchool, even similar but different like DanceStudio) and for a smaller price (2000, 5000, 10000) - all these guys will be taken before yours. The line to wait could be pretty long if industry is not crypto, insurance or design, for example.
My point is when pricing high and for the long run, it wouldn't be bad to estimate where approximately in line you are :) Because for 95% of the end users it will be quality/price ratio what matters, not just a quality.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back