Dynadot

advice Looking To Sell A Few Of My Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

JJ78

Impact
I have a few domains that I purchased over the last few months. I was going to develop them, but I don’t currently have all that much time. So now I’m looking at selling a few of them.

What would be the best way to sell these domains? I’m not looking to get top dollar for these domains, so I will probably sell them for cheap.

What marketplaces do you suggest I list them at? I see Afternic, Sedo, and Dan mentioned a lot. So I’m assuming listing them at these three locations would be best.

And one last question... What would be the best strategy to price these domains for potentially a faster sale?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have a few domains that I purchased over the last few months. I was going to develop them, but I don’t currently have all that much time. So now I’m looking at selling a few of them.

What would be the best way to sell these domains? I’m not looking to get top dollar for these domains, so I will probably sell them for cheap.

What marketplaces do you suggest I list them at? I see Afternic, Sedo, and Dan mentioned a lot. So I’m assuming listing them at these three locations would be best.

And one last question... What would be the best strategy to price these domains for potentially a faster sale?
Depends entirely on the quality of the names, your price expectations, and how quickly you want to sell them.

Were these hand registrations a few months ago? If so, and the names are good (for hand registrations) the highest expectation I would have would be to double your money (i.e. sell your $10 name for $20).

If they were aftermarket purchases, or private purchases, expectations could vary wildly. Anywhere from losing money to making a good chunk on a quick sale. All depends on name quality and how good of a price you paid.

We'd need to see the names to have a better idea.

•••
And yes, those are generally the best marketplaces for listing, but I would not expect a quick sale there. Quick sale usually means wholesale selling. For that, you can post them for sale here on the forum, on another domain forum, or on a wholesale platform like NameLiquidate.

•••
•••
Hi @Joe N

All good suggestions, except maybe for NameLiquidate at the moment. Are you still using their services and if so, did you get paid? Are you able to withdraw funds?

Last edited:
•••
Depends entirely on the quality of the names, your price expectations, and how quickly you want to sell them.

Were these hand registrations a few months ago? If so, and the names are good (for hand registrations) the highest expectation I would have would be to double your money (i.e. sell your $10 name for $20).

If they were aftermarket purchases, or private purchases, expectations could vary wildly. Anywhere from losing money to making a good chunk on a quick sale. All depends on name quality and how good of a price you paid.

All the domains are expired .com domains.

•••
Hi @Joe N

All good suggestions, except maybe for NameLiquidate at the moment. Are you still using their services and if so, did you get paid? Are you able to withdraw funds?
No, I've never used them myself. I'm not following all the Epik issues too closely, so not sure what's up with NameLiquidate. Is was the first example that came to mind, but should have mentioned that some due diligence would be required. :)

•••
All the domains are expired .com domains.
You bought them in an expired domain auction? Or they expired, deleted, and you registered them?

Last edited:
•••
You bought them in an expired domain auction? Or they expired, deleted, and you registered them?
I registered them after they expired.

•••
I registered them after they expired.
Okay, so I wouldn't expect to make much profit on them. Domains that can be hand registered are generally available because they went through the entire expiration process without being picked up by anyone else.

I they're really strong hand registered names, someone might be willing to give you 20 or 30 dollars per name. But even that would be unlikely. With names that you recently registered, and want to get ride of quick, you should generally be quite content with just getting your money back.

•••
So far, I added the domains to Afternic with the Afternic "buy now" landers enabled. I priced the domains by taking 10% of the value that the GoDaddy Appraisal Tool gave me. I know this may not be the best way to price them, but I have to start somewhere until I get some more experience. Furthermore, I decided not to sell them quickly, but instead hold on to them. If I don't make money selling them, I will eventually develop them and make money that way.

•••
So far, I added the domains to Afternic with the Afternic "buy now" landers enabled. I priced the domains by taking 10% of the value that the GoDaddy Appraisal Tool gave me. I know this may not be the best way to price them, but I have to start somewhere until I get some more experience. Furthermore, I decided not to sell them quickly, but instead hold on to them. If I don't make money selling them, I will eventually develop them and make money that way.
Sounds like a good plan. GD's appraisals actually aren't too bad when it comes to lower value (under $5K) names, so the prices you set should be right in the ballpark of what an end user would be comfortable paying if the domains are decent.

If the names are exact matches for a generic product or service, then you could even try your hand at some targeted outbound emailing. Success rate is usually quite low, but it does improve your chances at a sale somewhat.

•••
Hey Joe, Can I send you a few of my domains via PM? It would be nice to see what an experienced domainer thinks of my domains. For all I know I could be buying complete garbage...

•••
Hey Joe, Can I send you a few of my domains via PM? It would be nice to see what an experienced domainer thinks of my domains. For all I know I could be buying complete garbage...
Yeah, no problem. Happy to have a look.

•••
•••
Just a quick update...

I did end up selling one of my domains.

Going forward, I'm going to limit my portfolio to 25 domains. In order to cover the registration costs I will have to sell at least two domains around the $150 mark.

As I start to develop the domains I will remove the "buy now" option and only have the "make offer" option available.

I plan to monetize the blogs with affiliate offers.

•••
Just a quick update...

I did end up selling one of my domains.

Going forward, I'm going to limit my portfolio to 25 domains. In order to cover the registration costs I will have to sell at least two domains around the $150 mark.

As I start to develop the domains I will remove the "buy now" option and only have the "make offer" option available.

I plan to monetize the blogs with affiliate offers.
Great job! Care to share the name, sale price, and venue?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back