Dynadot

Looking for a server with user friendly control panels ...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
... easy to manage and an easy way to add new domains.

I don't have special requirements considering the sites I'll host contains only text and images, not special scripts (at least for the moment) but the server must be reliable (absolutely a Pentium with at least 40gb of h.drive, min. 256 Ram and no limitation for the number of domains I can add - I need the higher possible amount of monthly bandwidth already enclosed in the hosting plan).

For example, I saw this interesting offer of a server at $49/month with 40Gb of h.drive but it's a Celeron :)
http://www.ipowerweb.com/products/d...rver/index.html

I don't have a big knowledge in this field so, for this reason, I need something with preinstalled scripts ready to be used and very intuitive with 24h support service, if possible.

For various reasons, I'd prefer opting for a company which has been on the market for at least 2/3 years, I can't risk with newbies :)

Thanks in advance for helping.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you don't have much knowledge, you are probably looking for a fully managed server. Those are considerably more expensive than the $49 offer you posted.

•••
So the servers offered for $49/month at ipowerweb.com doesn't have all the necessary software and control panel already installed ? :(
I've contacted them asking for more details ... At this point, I'll lease one of their Celeron at least it's cheap, always if it's "ready for the use" :)

•••
No those servers dont have a control panel installed already. You best bet would be to go with http://www.servermatrix.com. Their prices are alot more then the celeron but you cpanel which is one of the best control panels around and they have different server management packages.

•••
So the servers offered for $49/month at ipowerweb.com doesn't have all the necessary software and control panel already installed ?
I've contacted them asking for more details ... At this point, I'll lease one of their Celeron at least it's cheap, always if it's "ready for the use"

You can install a free control panel like Webmin if you really want, but I don't see it as being a very newbie friendly script. I've heard bad stories about ipowerweb, I suggest you search on WHT the company. The lowest price I can imagine you can get a server with a decent control panel is about $70 (for a Celeron), but it won't come managed either. Do you know anything about Linux? If not you need someone to manage the server for you.

•••
•••
I contacted ipowerweb and, without entering in details, I'm absolutely unhappy of their explanation (I can host only 10 domains with some limitations and it's a big server for 10 doms only).

I know nothing about Linux unfortunately :(
It seems I'll look for a simple reseller package (something like this: http://www.advancednetworkhosts.com/resellers/privatelabel.htm ... at least, I get tons of things for the price I pay, not bad to begin ... Does anyone know something better ?

Thanks hotrod12, I'm going to surf carefully at webhostingtalk & freewebspace before taking a final decision.

•••
It's good to start with a reseller at least you get experience and then you move up to a server when it's necessary.

•••
you might also look into a vps

Kind of in between the two

•••
If you have a good enough knowledge to manage your own server you might want to take a look at layeredtech.com . I have just ordered this package and I am waiting on the setup.

• AMD 3000+ Barton
• 80GB IDE Hard Drive
• 1024MB RAM
• Bandwidth: 1000GB
• IP Addresses: 8 (5 usable)
• Private VLAN
• Number Of Servers: 1
• Basic Resource Monitoring
• FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, Windows*
• 100% Self Managed and Dedicated

Monthly Fee Options:
• $80.00 (Plus One-time Setup Fee of $19.00)

Cpanel/WHM and Fantastico was a extra 25 and I also spent 10 more to have a 40 gig back up drive added . Ths brought the total to 115 per month. I went with Freebsd and Im a diehard AMD person so this Is the reason I went with it . Also most benchmark tests I have seen put AMD right up there with Intel.

But check them out. They have many options and I will post little review on the server shortly to let you know what I think of the company

Oh yea I forgot. I have been running a VPS for the past few months to get my feet wet . tektonic.net is who I have been using and I must say that anyone looking for a cheap alternative to a dedicated server I would recommend them . They have a plan for 35 bucks that includes 7 gig of space and 100gig of bandwith per month. on a duel xeon box. There support is great and they are alway more then willing to help you in anyway they can .

Hope this helps you
Donnie

Last edited:
•••
Wow they have some cheap vps plans but if you get a vps will you have to apply all of the os/security updates yourself and also do you get the "full" whm like the one included with a dedicated server.

•••
Yeah you get cpanel/WHM with fantastico.....with a VPS there are several hosted on 1 machine so as far as acually OS goes the company handles kernal updates and such. If there are issues with cpanel or apache it will let you know on WHM and it is usually a pretty simple fix . If you are new to it this is a really good option . And there are alot of people on namepros (myself included) that wouldnt mind helping you if you got in a bind. Good luck with your selection of providers

•••
•••
yup that be the one ...lol

•••
http://managed.com - had bad feedback, its making a comback i can actually trust them, new business managers! cheap prices :) 100% full managed "managed".com :)

•••
Well unless it has changed recently managed.com has been far from fully managed. even on there current site they have proffesional services listed for fees.....

OS Restore $50.00 / Hour
Software Installation $50.00 / Hour
Hardware Installation $50.00 / Hour
Kernel / Apache Recompile $50.00 / Hour
Security Patches Update $50.00 / Hour
VPN & Firewall Management $500.00 / Month (per server)
Server Load Balancing

those all appear to be items that would fall under Fully Managed. But there is a fee.

I decided to stay clear of them after researching then fully.

But who am I . I just feel that with Alot more negative on the net from about then positive The new "Managed" is still not a good choice

•••
Thanks anyone for helping, I took a note about layeredtech.com, surely the most complete/cheap server compared with the quality of what they're offering, I've ever found so far.
I'm realising I'm not ready for a full server, I need to make some experience on simple control panels first so I took a small hosting package (with unlimited addon domains) for $7/month at bgfweb.com but, as soon as I'll have acquired a bit more knowledge in this field, I'll surely lease a server at layeredtech.

•••
I think that if you want to learn how to use a server a vps is the best route for you. It is a server basically but alot cheaper and if you do something wrong you can re-create it. For something to play around I would try http://tektonic.net/vds.php

•••
Thanks for the suggestion hotrod12, I take a look there immediately to know more about vps (a totally new word to me) :)

•••
No problem. Once I my contract with my current hosting company is done I will definetly get a vps.

•••
My tektonic vps has been very reliable . Good luck

•••
Cool what about their support is it good?

•••
There support is good/excellent. They are pretty prompt with returning emails and are willing to help you out with any issues you might have. For the $35 plan I have it is good. great way to get your feet wet .

•••
Cool I will probably use them thanks for the reccomendation.

•••
you might want to try
stronghit.com its my host

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back