Dynadot

question Look at other extensions?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

inahaze76

Established Member
Impact
I'm new to this and am only dealing with .com domains right now. When deciding whether to buy a. com, is it worthwhile to check and see if other extensions of that name have sold?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
no no no no

Simply put, “no!”

But my personal “other” favorites are:

dot NET dot ORG & dot US country of course!

All else is :poop: to me. Feels New exts’everyday.

.io .ai “hip” for “startups” who cant afford .com
Dont waste your money — You will be tempted

Even accounting 7% com hike each next 4 yrs, still lower price, than “.co” the wannabe .com.
.co is another popular “.com” alternative;

Not a fan of .co, due to bloated ~$20 renewal.
Which brings us to renewal fees.
Other ngtlds “premium” prices’ are the worst.
If anything, farce of “premium ren fee” should be enough, to deter them, from your business!

new exts advertise as “You’re the ‘future’ gen.”
The “future gen” that will never come imo. LOL

But great marketing! especially .xyz; may best.
I’ve a lot of conversations with @jmcc on xyz.

To answer your question, (if i wasnt clear)
NO!!! Dont register yet alone buy other ext;
Waste of money, what are you, Google?
Google registered every variation “Google” their .com —and i know ur asking on other ext - but every .com reg’d every “Google” variety up to like twenty “o’s” lol. Goooogle.com
See how many “o”’s you can go b4 unreg’d.

Same idea, essentially.
Dont “defensive register” unless re Google big, and that includes alternate com spellings — but Personally, if must, i’d stick with net org us — yes, despite “.io” & “.ai” feel all the rage tech

Samer

Last edited:
•••
no no no no

Simply put, “no!”

But my personal “other” favorites are/

dot NET dot ORG & dot US country of course!

Everything else is :poop: to me. New ext everyday
This is not answering the question, it's just a rant......

Always worth checking if a name has sold in another extension, how many extensions it's taken in etc etc etc.... Does not take long to do...

I wouldn't base my decision solely on it, but it's worth a look....

•••
This is not answering the question, it's just a rant......

Always worth checking if a name has sold in another extension, how many extensions it's taken in etc etc etc.... Does not take long to do...

I wouldn't base my decision solely on it, but it's worth a look....

disagree with your characterization, subjective.

Some may strongly disagree, but dont waste valuable resources “defensive register” on the Psuedo-exts. I gave my preferences, and yes, know .co & io have good sales — whereas .net seems lagging, but I stick with my belief net #2

I personally, havent got that big, where i need to register other non-com exts of my entity, but i’ve thought about his question, a lot. This why i brought @jmcc i always love when brings latest round of stats. Data of other exts health?

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the replies. I didn't mean whether I should buy other extensions, I meant is checking on the sales of other extensions a factor in deciding to buy the .com. I've checked on some names I've bought, and some names I'm considering, and none of the .net or .us or .org's were taken, but there were several that were taken under certain country codes, especially Brazil and Australia. Don't know if that means anything.

Last edited:
•••
They are asking if its worth checking if a domain has sold in another extension before buying the. com

Example. Org sold for x, xxx
Example. De sold for x, xxx
Example. Co sold for xxx

Your saying its not worth knowing the above before buying the .com? I think its worth checking out.....

If they are asking if its registered in other extensions then they need to see if any are developed, how many business use the word/s in the domain etc etc

Two different things.... How many are registered or if its sold in other extensions

Last edited:
•••
They are asking if its worth checking if a domain has sold in another extension before buying the. com

Example. Org sold for x, xxx
Example. De sold for x, xxx
Example. Co sold for xxx

Your saying its not worth knowing the above before buying the .com? I think its worth checking out.....

If they are asking if its registered in other extensions then they need to see if any are developed, how many business use the word/s in the domain etc etc

Two different things.... How many are registered or if its sold in other extensions
Thanks. So in other words, don't just look to see if other extensions of a name are taken, but check to see if other extensions have actually sold. For what it's worth, when I put a name into an evaluator, I check to see what comparable domains have sold, and look to see what the common keyword(s) are in those names. I also look to see what keywords in the name I'm evaluating are said to be popular and/or valuable. Let me know if these practices are a waste of time.

•••
Thanks. So in other words, don't just look to see if other extensions of a name are taken, but check to see if other extensions have actually sold. For what it's worth, when I put a name into an evaluator, I check to see what comparable domains have sold, and look to see what the common keyword(s) are in those names. I also look to see what keywords in the name I'm evaluating are said to be popular and/or valuable. Let me know if these practices are a waste of time.
https://dotdb.com/
This will be useful

Last edited:
•••
This will be useful

I've started checking all the domains I look at with this site/tool. Quick and helpful. It may not stop me from buying but it makes me more informed.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back