IT.COM

Longest running drop auction? Five Nines

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

offthehandle

.Top Member
Impact
Just went to Dropcatch. Anybody seen this before, this long?
6 hours now. Still going now.

Five Nines has been going on for hours!!!
between 2 bot's or bidders or????

https://www.dropcatch.com/Domain/FiveNines.com $19,506 right now.

6 Hours + now.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yeh.. 50k for that name. Um no, you'd have to be a complete imbecile. More to the story, and we will likely never find out why. Someone driving up the price for DC, trying to reel in a sucker? That's why I asked if anyone ever has done business or knows the 420 guy.

2-5k on the best of days, the original win @ the 5k mark should have ended it there.
They sure shut up Fastcars quickly, and he wasn't even the winning bidder. The auction has gone into default as it is past 24 hours past payment deadline, what is the point of bidding if you can't make timely payment according to the rules?

•••
So 420domains has won big ticket domains at dropcatch like studentaid.com $20K, iomega.com $10K, whois is showing Nevada, which would indicate a wire should not take more than 48 hours to submit.

•••
Things maybe looking up for fivenines, as payment still hasn't been made.

•••
420Domains is still able to bid even though Fivenines.com has still not been paid for?

This is funny how Fastcars goes quiet, and this domain is still not paid for, yet winning bidder is still able to bid, and is back to making big bids.

fivenines.jpg

•••
•••
FiveNines.com has been paid for now, and nameservers point to Afternic with min offer of $900.

I guess Fastcars did not get it, as I doubt they would point it to Afternic after wanting it for end user purposes.

Last edited:
•••
FiveNines.com has been paid for now, and nameservers point to Afternic with min offer of $900.

The A record still is with AWS, and resolves to DC, so thought it hadn;t moved, but doubled checked the dns, so you are on top of it of course. So, does the saga end here? What happened at the $5K time?

I think it has value to someone out there other than Fastcars. But not that much that was overpaid, it's all personal thing really as an end user sees it. Seeing the Gonines with the logo specific to it I posted, well seems correct end user for it.

I have been at this only a few years now, and of all my names except like a couple I let expire, were grabbed by someone else and sit unused. Parked for resale. Not until spending 1000's of hours looking at archive and drop lists, this seems very common.

Last edited:
•••
Who's going to pay $40k + for it :sneaky:

•••
The A record still is with AWS, and resolves to DC, so thought it hadn;t moved, but doubled checked the dns, so you are on top of it of course. So, does the saga end here? What happened at the $5K time?
I don't know FASTCARS went radio silent, probably in hopes of working out a deal, only he knows the true story behind it.

It didn't take buyer long to start hitting those high end auctions again, after shelling out what seems like will be a long hold at that price. Even if FASTCARS buys it on Afternic buyers needs $42K gross just to get to even.

•••
Who's going to pay $40k + for it :sneaky:
Well 420domains paid $20K for StudentAid.com, and they have a $200K ask on it.

So who knows what they will ask for FiveNines.com?

Did we really expect Dropcatch to discount $30K to bring it down to $5K.

•••
The prices I keep seeing are personally seemingly irrational to me, these names with dashes, oddball things, I don't check many to see backlinks. I wonder though how long before they sell.
Did you see the C h o c o l a t e sale? Waiting to see what happens there. It points to the brokers page.

5nines.com 1999 reg. So, something new to me.

gonines- found this on their site didn't look close before

CM Capture 128.jpg

Last edited:
•••
The prices I keep seeing are personally seemingly irrational to me, these names with dashes, oddball things, I don't check many to see backlinks. I wonder though how long before they sell.
Did you see the C h o c o l a t e sale? Waiting to see what happens there. It points to the brokers page.
I hear you names like suitehotel.com selling for over $4K in auction, isn't it a backwards term, unbranded, I don't get it, maybe someone else knows better?

AccessFirefox.com $4750??? Really

I see these guys come, and go every few months with new users names, I don't know if it is go big, or go home kind of strategy, but we all know what a grind some sales can be, especially when you are paying mid 5 figures for two keyword limited market names to flip them.

I really hate it when brokers announce sales without proper verifications, or numbers, there is no way of knowing what it really sold for while they advance their own profiles without stating what it actually sold for, makes little sense to play this between this, and that game. The name describes a huge category, if someone can monetize it for a catchy product, or service, then they maybe onto something, it will get a lot of exposure, and free pr just based on the name.

Last edited:
•••

5nines.com 1999 reg. So, something new to me.

gonines- found this on their site didn't look close before

Show attachment 111929
I believe Fastcars represents GoNines from what others have said here earlier, it makes the most sense.

•••
I hear you names like suitehotel.com selling for over $4K in auction, isn't it a backwards term, unbranded, I don't get it, maybe someone else knows better?

AccessFirefox.com $4750??? Really

I see these guys come, and go every few months with new users names, I don't know if it is go big, or go home kind of strategy, but we all know what a grind some sales can be, especially when you are paying mid 5 figures for two keyword limited market names to flip them.

I really hate it when brokers announce sales without proper verifications, or numbers, there is no way of knowing what it really sold for while they advance their own profiles without stating what it actually sold for, makes little sense to play this between this, and that game. The name describes a huge category, if someone can monetize it for a catchy product, or service, then they maybe onto something, it will get a lot of exposure, and free pr just based on the name.

Why pay anything on Firefox?

I stopped watching closely, since about a year ago. Then recently started buying again, and see that DC is getting more bidders than before. I saw the hotel one, and scratched my head. Even B i l d e r b e r g.... which got it's name from the hotel in NL, they sit on hotels dot com, booking, everywhere and the .nl. Why upgrade if you are a hotel, many reservations come from other sites? Most people already know it, done. I don't think the famous "Group" is going to have a published website, lol. or emails on the name. Who knows. Seems like I must not "get it".

P a r a d i s e B e a c h H o t e l is a 1999 reg. Very generic, 3 word too, it was dropped the other day by HD after a few years. Decent generic, but why would anyone pay much for it? Hotels unless huge, can't afford much. I hand regged a dormant 1998 generic name of a famous condo/golf complex- zero interest from potential other buyers and it sounds like a city name.

The C H O CO is a great name, huge market. But type in traffic?, I wonder. We will see.

"advance their own profiles" that's my biggest complaint, DNJ published last 2 years a ton of sales from a broker who chased it down to an investor. That sort of sale I find is noise really. It does nothing for the investor, and it to me is like a fake sale since it isn't an end user. All the reports that come and go, then get parked I just question all of it. As I am new to this business, to me I see through it as it's b.s. quite frankly. I have said before, I used to spend days and weeks at physical auctions, knew who the buyers who were major buyers. They were stealth, their cards and nods were discreet. No appraisal data, no internet yet, no easy access to datasheets, etc. But, funniest was there was no trade association or "Journal" published about what they wholesaled among themselves when one legit buyers RFQ came in and they sold it wholesale, no way. Noise. These were multi million operations, advertised high prices to end users, 4 color printed catalogs, never could understand how much they really sold to end users. One company the father retired, his sons took over and eBay took over. They don't even have a website anymore. I recall one guy spent a fortune and borrowed big $$ against his inventory as an "asset" then went out of business. Screwed the bank.

•••
Why pay anything on Firefox?

I stopped watching closely, since about a year ago. Then recently started buying again, and see that DC is getting more bidders than before. I saw the hotel one, and scratched my head. Even B i l d e r b e r g.... which got it's name from the hotel in NL, they sit on hotels dot com, booking, everywhere and the .nl. Why upgrade if you are a hotel, many reservations come from other sites? Most people already know it, done. I don't think the famous "Group" is going to have a published website, lol. or emails on the name. Who knows. Seems like I must not "get it".

P a r a d i s e B e a c h H o t e l is a 1999 reg. Very generic, 3 word too, it was dropped the other day by HD after a few years. Decent generic, but why would anyone pay much for it? Hotels unless huge, can't afford much. I hand regged a dormant 1998 generic name of a famous condo/golf complex- zero interest from potential other buyers and it sounds like a city name.

The C H O CO is a great name, huge market. But type in traffic?, I wonder. We will see.

"advance their own profiles" that's my biggest complaint, DNJ published last 2 years a ton of sales from a broker who chased it down to an investor. That sort of sale I find is noise really. It does nothing for the investor, and it to me is like a fake sale since it isn't an end user. All the reports that come and go, then get parked I just question all of it. As I am new to this business, to me I see through it as it's b.s. quite frankly. I have said before, I used to spend days and weeks at physical auctions, knew who the buyers who were major buyers. They were stealth, their cards and nods were discreet. No appraisal data, no internet yet, no easy access to datasheets, etc. But, funniest was there was no trade association or "Journal" published about what they wholesaled among themselves when one legit buyers RFQ came in and they sold it wholesale, no way. Noise. These were multi million operations, advertised high prices to end users, 4 color printed catalogs, never could understand how much they really sold to end users. One company the father retired, his sons took over and eBay took over. They don't even have a website anymore. I recall one guy spent a fortune and borrowed big $$ against his inventory as an "asset" then went out of business. Screwed the bank.
Well it was stated on the WittyNut thread a while back that some heavy users got more favorable payment terms, and it’s only a matter of time before you bid yourself into a whole, because nobody can afford to pay these prices, and flip the names fast enough to create a positive cashflow, so only a matter of time we see these bidders default, and then disappear. Oddly enough another one always pops back up.

Some new bidders I seen are dgdgdgdg AliBackorders AZPDomains these 3 have really been pushing prices to basically end user levels.

AccessFirefox.com is probably a play on traffic for the real site AccessFirefox.org, but you are just going to bounce traffic, and I can’t ever see an end user sale, so what is the point?

Access Firefox, a Mozilla community run project.

This site is not officially affiliated with the Mozilla Foundation or Corporation.
Domain name licensed by the Mozilla Corporation 7-17-2008.

Where clearly stated, this site's content is available under a Creative Commons license.
All other content is ©2005-2017 www.AccessFirefox.org.

•••
so what is the point?

Yep. It's non commercial. Reminds me about the guy that had a xxxxtwitter name he was discussed on another thread I think in legal. The thought process just seems nonexistent.

Your profit is in the "buying end" as the saying goes. I wish there were one-shot sealed bids in this for lot's of names mixed together the good and the shit names like in surplus lots. I used to do pretty well with those. Most auctions were great in my niche, since I was stealth, nobody had any interest or idea in my stuff so my markups when sold were really huge. Usually I could afford to sit on things for a few years if I needed to as I bought right, then if you manage it right with a balance of inventory versus sales and need to let something go for less than you normally would just for April taxes, and cash flow, etc. you do. Hence why I got into this, I thought it was similar but the liquidity was way better in physical property, and back then people actually wanted my call and answered their phones, a hand shake deal over the phone meant something and I had a voice mail where people left messages, and sales leads came in all the time. This is a completely different era, culture and market.

•••
Well 420domains paid $20K for StudentAid.com, and they have a $200K ask on it.
So the man has a history of following through, ok good.

Still very odd willing to bid so high on a name like fivenines, with a history of high caliber names like studentaid for half that price. Resale chances of making money back plus profits = nil.

•••
420Domains is still able to bid even though Fivenines.com has still not been paid for?

This is funny how Fastcars goes quiet, and this domain is still not paid for, yet winning bidder is still able to bid, and is back to making big bids.

Show attachment 111910

Unbelievable.

•••
So the man has a history of following through, ok good.

Still very odd willing to bid so high on a name like fivenines, with a history of high caliber names like studentaid for half that price. Resale chances of making money back plus profits = nil.
I agree I mean really we can only see maybe 3 companies that may pay into 5 figures, but this is pretty deep into 5 figures, unless they had a hunch the end user was in on it, and they could flip it to them for more after? It is very hard to understand the logic as it isn’t really one of an investor, and even outside the range of an end user.

Let’s see if it pays off, maybe Fastcars will pay him more for it?

•••
420Domains didn't hit any of the big auctions today, looks like he won JerryJackson.com for $4xx range. Just small potatoes for him today.

•••
•••
My discussions with DC have ended, clearly you all see how this played out in the end. We did our best to state our case for getting the domain, as many of you have noticed, we have a valid use for it, and probably some ICANN protections from someone else buying it just to resell it. DC did acknowledge, but could not explain, the irregularities we saw from our end during the action, an example is the following (shown as copied data rather than a screenshot as I can't post links here, those of you who also participated in this auction can go look for yourself):

FastCars P $5,706.00 Mar 2 13:03:51
420domains $5,656.00 Mar 2 13:03:5
FastCars High Bid P $5,406.00 Mar 2 13:01:20
FastCars P $5,606.00 Mar 2 13:01:49
420domains $5,556.00 Mar 2 13:01:49

You will see not only does the unexplainable "High Bid" show up, but also the bids are recorded out of order. My Proxy Bid at the amount of $5,406.00 should have shown immediately earlier in the timeline of bids, but instead it shows up 4 rows higher than it should have been recorded. We did our own analysis of the irregularities that is more thorough than this example, but I doubt we will post that stuff on the Internet.

DC says they have verified everything on their end over and over and the back end functioned as it should. I don't have proof of this, but at the same time, I don't really have rights to that nor do I want to fight it.

While true, that I kept bidding on the site even after I felt I should have won, I did so primarily to buy DC time to respond to my phone calls and emailed complaints, as leaving the auction early would have resulted in the loss of the site right away. I quit because of the ballooned price, and the weirdness of the entire thing, just didn't feel like a fair auction.

However, in the end, 420 did pay for the site, that means that 420 wanted it more than I, and that is how auctions work. It was a massively frustrating experience for me, but that's just how things go. DC did respond a lot to me after the fact, and I believe those guys feel this was all proper on their end. Simple truth is that even if they opted to redo the auction, if 420 was really willing to pay 40k+ for it, he was going to win in the end no matter what. So I have nothing really to complain about here. Had I walked away after seeing the message that I had won, and lost as a direct result of that message, things would be different, but that's not in the end the reason I lost. 420 was legit and wanted that domain.

I hope 420 has a legitimate use for it.

Last edited:
•••
My discussions with DC have ended, clearly you all see how this played out in the end. We did our best to state our case for getting the domain, as many of you have noticed, we have a valid use for it, and probably some ICANN protections from someone else buying it just to resell it. DC did acknowledge, but could not explain, the irregularities we saw from our end during the action, an example is the following (shown as copied data rather than a screenshot as I can't post links here, those of you who also participated in this auction can go look for yourself):

FastCars High Bid P $5,406.00 Mar 2 13:01:20

You will see not only does the unexplainable "High Bid" show up, but also the bids are recorded out of order. My Proxy Bid at the amount of $5,406.00 should have shown immediately earlier in the timeline of bids, but instead it shows up 4 rows higher than it should have been recorded. We did our own analysis of the irregularities that is more thorough than this example, but I doubt we will post that stuff on the Internet.

DC says they have verified everything on their end over and over and the back end functioned as it should. I don't have proof of this, but at the same time, I don't really have rights to that nor do I want to fight it.

While true, that I kept bidding on the site even after I felt I should have won, I did so primarily to buy DC time to respond to my phone calls and emailed complaints, as leaving the auction early would have resulted in the loss of the site right away. I quit because of the ballooned price, and the weirdness of the entire thing, just didn't feel like a fair auction.

However, in the end, 420 did pay for the site, that means that 420 wanted it more than I, and that is how auctions work. It was a massively frustrating experience for me, but that's just how things go. DC did respond a lot to me after the fact, and I believe those guys feel this was all proper on their end. Simple truth is that even if they opted to redo the auction, if 420 was really willing to pay 40k+ for it, he was going to win in the end no matter what. So I have nothing really to complain about here. Had I walked away after seeing the message that I had won, and lost as a direct result of that message, things would be different, but that's not in the end the reason I lost. 420 was legit and wanted that domain.

I hope 420 has a legitimate use for it.
Probably not since they listed it for sale on afternic, and buy random domains on a daily basis like JerryJackson.com. I would be patient they will need to get their money out one day, and you are probaly the only person who will remotely pay even a fraction of that bid out there in the short term.

The bidding irregularity at the $5k range is a scary afterthought.

Let’s say five nines is a purity play in the cannabis space, given it’s more of a technical term, and the above average token wouldn’t have a clue makes little sense at $40k. I would sit on your hands for a bit, and just be patient. They will need to recover this investment one day, and there are not many willing buyers in a range even close to this.

Sorry, this happend to you, when it comes to such domains, it’s always nice to see them put to use with real content.

Last edited:
•••
The Whois contacts 420Domains uses are very strange, the phone number is one where you get charged for making a directory assistance call, a lot of scam complaints online associated with that number. Incorrect address for sure.

Some complaints online:

October 29, 2018

6:44:45 AM

Robodial incoming call using this number as a faked ID. You call the number back, and. Presto you get charged for making a directory assistance call.

Even fieldcreek.com which they won the same day has some weird survey type lander.

420 was active yesterday, they had early bids in virginiajobs.com and the onemanga.com, but as usually seen they didn’t engage a fight this time, they took a backseat which is not like them.

Domain Name: studentaid.com
Registry Domain ID: 2148824576_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Updated Date: 2018-07-12T17:38:34Z
Creation Date: 2017-07-31T18:32:48Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2019-07-31T18:32:48Z
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 146
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4806242505
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: Not Available From Registry
Registrant Name: Private Domain
Registrant Organization: Above Privacy
Registrant Street: PO Box
Registrant City: Las Vegas
Registrant State/Province: Nevada
Registrant Postal Code: 89109
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.7025551212
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected]
Registry Admin ID: Not Available From Registry
Admin Name: Private Domain
Admin Organization: Above Privacy
Admin Street: PO Box
Admin City: Las Vegas
Admin State/Province: Nevada
Admin Postal Code: 89109
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.7025551212
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax:
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: [email protected]

Last edited:
•••
I didn't copy quite enough data to make my point well. The $5,406 Proxy bid should have shown up right after the 420 $5,356.00 bid. and as you see in the timestamps they are both recorded at the same time, but recorded in the list out of order. Again, this makes ZERO difference in the end. Just shows why this became a discussion to begin with, outside of the sale price of the site. DC states that the backend of the system was sound and performed exactly as expected, which is why the auction continued. They say these irregularities showed up on my end due to lag and other influences in the front end of the system. It would be interesting to see if any of you who participated have the same results in your bid history or different ones, as that sort of supports the evidence one way or the other.

FastCars P $5,406.00 Mar 2 13:01:20 High Bid
420domains $5,356.00 Mar 2 13:01:20
FastCars $5,306.00 Mar 2 12:56:56

But again, 420 was willing to pay more than me and won the auction. I have no dispute with that.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back