IT.COM

Let's list top 100 traffic and profitable Idn sites in the world!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
1st list:

Top 100 According to traffic

please mention whether the traffic is nature traffic or advertising traffic

2nd list

top 100 according to net revenue

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
файлов File 110,000 searches Sept 08
($1.58 a click)
восстановление файлов Restoring files 6,600 searches Sept 08

поиск файлов Search for files 3,600 searches Sept 08

файлы Files 90,500 searches Sept 08
($0.58 a click)

•••
What else can I tell you? This word cannot stand alone. Send me your russians, I'll tell you what's good and what's not.

Last edited:
•••
'yellow' can't stand alone either.

•••
Hey guys,

I'm a native russian.
rr5127 is a man! And absolutely right in everything he said about russian idns.

секс.com & файлов.com are crapy domains.

p.s. biggest *reported* .ru domain sales were not more than 100k, so 750k-1m for секс.com is pretty optimistic))

p.s.s idn.idn in russian will totally devaluate idn.com in my opinion, because no one will develope a site on such a domain. Most domainers, SEOs and webmasters in russia are very sceptical about idns, so it'll take a lot of time to get their attention to idn.idn. And idn.com will just die.

Respect,
Willhartha.

Last edited:
•••
Can't argue with the natives
:)

Yes it's true, Russian IDNs are a complete waste of time.

My 500 ascii's well outperform my IDNs.

Is файлами a good word in Russian? for file?

Last edited:
•••
Phio said:
Can't argue with the natives
:)

Yes it's true, Russian IDNs are a complete waste of time.

My 500 ascii's well outperform my IDNs.

We have failed at life.

Time to throw away all these domains getting 60+ uniques/day when they were only getting 10 max/month 3 years ago :(.

•••
Damn, I was hoping to hold on to some of them....

anyone know of a good domain tasting service?

•••
I don't even know why I bother responding, I've really gotten over the opinions of others when facts are right under my nose ;).

•••
interesting article on your blog, didn't catch the show, but it is material for thought.

•••
Fka200 said:
We have failed at life.

Time to throw away all these domains getting 60+ uniques/day when they were only getting 10 max/month 3 years ago :(.
You are missing the point. .coms in non-latins might get increase in traffic but they are useless since they will not be aliased.
Second, IDN .com in pinciple would not be popular in Russia and China as soon as they'd get their IDN ccTLDs (as it is not popular in Europe). Follow the locals.
There are places when IDN .com will have future, Latin America is one (because of the obvious reasons).

Last edited:
•••
Phio :)
файлами is useless too.. :(
файлы is the right one

dynadot.com has domain tasting for 20c
moniker.com has it for 1$ (I've heard that it's only 20c for NP members)
and dotcomgenie.com (but I haven't use this one)

I hope you'll succeed with IDNs, just do more research and try to concetrate on 1-2 TLDs. Invest only when you are 100% sure that it worth it, because there are sooo many way to invest in domaining that we don't have to hurry at all )

Good luck!

•••
This just highlights the risk with non-latins IDNs

http://domainnamewire.com/2008/10/20/risks-remain-for-idn-investors/

Risks Remain for IDN Investors
Monday, October 20th, 2008

New IDN tld’s may pose problems for second level IDN holders.

For years, domain names were only available in roman characters. Domain names in these characters don’t make a lot of sense to web users who’s primary languages don’t use these characters.

But then so-called International Domain Names (IDNs) using non-roman characters became available. Domainers jumped on board and invested heavily. Many of these domains get solid type-in traffic or have been turned into search engine friendly destination sites.

There’s just one problem: regardless of the language and characters left of the dot, these domains still end in traditional roman TLDs such as .com.

That will soon change. As part of the new gTLD process, we’ll see lots of applications for IDN TLDs. This could render existing IDNs less valuable, but many questions remain. In many ways it’s like the mid-90s: there were risks as rules and regulations changed, but there were also big rewards.

If you registered IDN second level domains (non-roman characters left of the dot), you will not necessarily get the “.com equivalent” if it is ever released in a different language. There are a couple reasons for this. First, “.com” doesn’t necessarily translate into other languages and character sets. Second, the .com registry Verisign (NASDAQ: VRSN) may not be awarded the registry contract for .com equivalents.

Even if Verisign is awarded the equivalent, it will be up to the company to decide how to distribute them. It could decide to automatically forward these domains to the .com equivalent, offer them on a first-come, first-served basis, or offer existing .com holders the right to register them for a fee.

But there’s no guarantee Verisign will be awarded these IDN TLDs even if it applies. However, in the new gTLD process allows companies to challenge applications on the basis of likelihood of confusion.

ICANN’s Director, IDN Program Tina Dam notes, “Keep in mind that the fact that VeriSign does not automatically get to be registry operator to some translated or transliterated version of .com is a policy requirement.” In other words, she says, it was a community decision that ICANN will abide by.

There’s another risk for existing IDN domain owners. The next revision of the IDN technical standards may essentially void some of the characters currently used in already registered IDNs — even those that were officially approved for use before.

One concern many people bring up about IDNs is the potential to trick internet users in phishing schemes. For example, an IDN may look like “Paypal.com”, but the second ‘a’ is actually a different letter that looks similar to the roman ‘a’. This is not likely anymore, since domains can no longer combine two different scripts. Domains that were previously registered in two scripts will not be renewed.

Will risk takers who registered second level IDNs make out like bandits or fall on the “wrong side of the dot”? It’s unclear at this point. A couple IDN investors I talked to said they aren’t too concerned. They believe Verisign will go after any similar TLDs, and that “new .com” translations will be similar to .info and .biz: people who currently type in .com will keep doing it even if it’s in a different script.

Tags: icann, idn, international domain names, tina dam
- Posted in Policy & Law by Andrew

•••
Hi Willhartha, If файлами is worthless, why do Russians search for it 450,000 times a month on their Yandex search bar? I owe you a beer if you can explain this to me.

"Что искали со словом «файлами» — 432406 показов в месяц" Yandex

Great article rr5127!

Last edited:
•••
Phio,I saw it at wordstat.yandex.ru too I think it's a part of phase like - обмен файлами. I'm not sure whether there is type in traffic on this domain, maybe there is. But I'm sure that this name doesn't have a resale value, not because of the idn.com which I think is useless, but because of the word itself, it cannot be used alone. I don't know how yandex count search queries, you know in google there are 3 type of search data - broad, phase and exact. So maybe it's like broad in google ) Don’t know really )

•••
Thanks, yeah strange, both yandex and google can't be relied on in cases like this. Beers coming soon!

•••
This is a nice little debate. rr5127, you make some good points. Many other IDNers who have invested heavily in non-Latin IDN.com will hope you are wrong of course.

I was just wondering what Latin languages you think will find favour with IDN.com? You mention that Latin American countries will embrace it, while some countries like Germany will not (I guess we've already seen evidence of that with the dominance of .de), but I'd be interested to hear more. I take it then that you think Spanish is a good bet?

Also, we're still seeing a clear preference for typing URLs in ASCII in Latin countries. How long (if ever) will this habit take to die do you think? Some argue that Latin IDN.com's are not necessary because ASCII is a good enough correspondence, and that accents are more difficult to type in anyway. So what factors might push IDN to the fore?

•••
domain_trader said:
This is a nice little debate. rr5127, you make some good points. Many other IDNers who have invested heavily in non-Latin IDN.com will hope you are wrong of course.

I was just wondering what Latin languages you think will find favour with IDN.com? You mention that Latin American countries will embrace it, while some countries like Germany will not (I guess we've already seen evidence of that with the dominance of .de), but I'd be interested to hear more. I take it then that you think Spanish is a good bet?

Also, we're still seeing a clear preference for typing URLs in ASCII in Latin countries. How long (if ever) will this habit take to die do you think? Some argue that Latin IDN.com's are not necessary because ASCII is a good enough correspondence, and that accents are more difficult to type in anyway. So what factors might push IDN to the fore?
I wish luck to all fellow domainers who invested in non-latins. I do have some as well. However, I think that many factors will play against .coms in these languages. Not to mention that the future is very unclear at this point for them.
As far as Latins, I think the Spanish is the best bet in Latins due to the fact that Latin America has about 20 countries which share same language and don't have a common extension. Add to this Spain and Portugal which are heavily investing into Latin America. Com is truly a domain of choice here and will be the one for any company which will want a wider exposure, there is simply no alternative. I like Portuguese as well. Brazil is a big country and they do use .com (not as much but for good keywords they do and they will run out of best domains soon with their huge population). Also linguistically, Brazil needs IDNs more then the rest of Latin America.
Now what will change the awareness and habits...
Many words (especially in Portuguese) do not make sense when spelled in ASCII. I think when ccTLDs Idns will start to roll out, this will bring the awareness.
I registered yesterday some (92 to be exact) geo domains which I have neglected (wrongly) so far . Don't waste time going to see if there is anything good left. It's gone (in ASCII and iDN). The whole country cities with potential are gone. Not all are mine, damnit ;)). Man.... I am already having type-ins for these today. Resorts, coastal tourist cities...It's hard to resist when you can own names of the places like this:
http://www.ifh.uni-karlsruhe.de/science/envflu/Research/ww-discharges/images/santos.jpg
http://www.nosso-es.com.br/piumaconchas/piuma.jpg
http://img.olhares.com/data/big/171/1711906.jpg

Last edited:
•••
rr5127 said:
Many words (especially in Portuguese) do not make sense when spelled in ASCII.
That is why I have a particular interest in Portuguese and Turkish names (and also some Scandinavian ones), because it's not just a matter of adding accents, but includes unique characters that ASCII can't approximate to.

rr5127 said:
I think when ccTLDs Idns will start to roll out, this will bring the awareness.
As you probably know IDN is already available in .com.br., which I understand is being automatically given to the ASCII.com.br owners. I think this automatic allocation is a good thing personally, as it will help users become familiar with using IDN with sites that are already popular. Hopefully the new habit will spill over to Portuguese IDN.com, even if these never reach the popularity of IDN.com.br.

The key for IDN.com succeeding anywhere I feel is development. If no popular sites are available in IDN, then it will face an uphill struggle to become widely known in certain countries.

rr5127 said:
I registered yesterday some (92 to be exact) geo domains which I have neglected (wrongly) so far.
Geo domains in IDN.com are a very sensible investment IMO. They are the most locally relevant terms. They are the ones that residents are fussy are spelt correctly. Most importantly, ccTLDs normally reserve geo domains for municipal govts, so geo.com are usually the only ones that can be privately owned.

rr5127 said:
Don't waste time going to see if there is anything good left. It's gone (in ASCII and iDN).
I have to admit I've been hunting around lately for a few Spanish and (Brazilian) Portuguese geo IDNs for my collection. Slim pickings for sure, but I think there's still opportunities out there. Last week I picked up Tuxtla Gutiérrez.com, the capital city of the Mexican state of Chiapas. I think there will be some value in these one day.

Last edited:
•••
I hope you guys are right about Spanish/Portuguese names. I picked up several about a year ago and they are starting to get traffic.

Currently Russian and Arabic type-ins are number one and two respectively.

•••
domain_trader said:
That is why I have a particular interest in Portuguese and Turkish names (and also some Scandinavian ones), because it's not just a matter of adding accents, but includes unique characters that ASCII can't approximate to.

As you probably know IDN is already available in .com.br., which I understand is being automatically given to the ASCII.com.br owners. I think this automatic allocation is a good thing personally, as it will help users become familiar with using IDN with sites that are already popular. Hopefully the new habit will spill over to Portuguese IDN.com, even if these never reach the popularity of IDN.com.br.
t's all correct but not for prime keywords. Geos, top keywords will be OK in .com. For example, I have Wholesale, Retail, Sale, RealEstate, Condo/s, Warehouse/s, Security, Card, Prices, Justice, many others (even minor commercial terms like PlaneTickets, VacuumCleaners, CarInsurance, LifeInsurance, Houses etc) plus about a hundred of Geos now in Portuguese. Who cares about .com.br competition. They need to be developed, of course.
I registered about 100 Hindi today. Many opportunities here, so limited myself to the very prime keywords. Registered mostly .net but first, the corresponding coms were registered in 2001s and I think the .net for prime keywords like Men or Sex will still do good. I also got some excellent .coms, mostly religious. I've been working with some indian folks here and I know what they are passionate about. Dig this: I even got Guru.com/net !!!!! In India, it's huge. I also got Sri.com and Swami.com. Indians know what these are..:bingo:

Last edited:
•••
rr5127 said:
t's all correct but not for prime keywords. Geos, top keywords will be OK in .com. For example, I have Wholesale, Retail, Sale, RealEstate, Condo/s, Warehouse/s, Security, Card, Prices, Justice, many others (even minor commercial terms like PlaneTickets, VacuumCleaners, CarInsurance, LifeInsurance, Houses etc) plus about a hundred of Geos now in Portuguese. Who cares about .com.br competition. They need to be developed, of course.
You'll be happy you got in early, as some of those terms are definitely hot (RealEstate in particular). I think even with .com.br dominance, the fact that they are already in the habit of typing in .com as part of the extension is an advantage (I'm sure you'd pick up a few typos from users occasionally forgetting to type the .br!).

I suspect that it will be difficult for IDN.com to beat any ccTLD IDN actually regardless of the language, and it's just a question of how close behind IDN.com runs (with the possible exception of Spanish). Hopefully for most languages, IDN.com won't be too far behind for the reasons you've already mentioned.

rr5127 said:
I registered about 100 Hindi today. Many opportunities here, so limited myself to the very prime keywords.
I would read the other thread before purchasing any more.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
i am brazilian and i live in rio so i will tell you my impressions from brazil

1) if you ask about IDNs to a person that does not work with internet he/she does not know what it is and i mean by asking explaining what it means; he/she does not know it is possible to type an IDN

- this is an example: MACA means STRETCHER in portuguese and MAÇÃ means APPLE and there are thousands of words like this; there are other words we type without accent in the browser but it has, like AVIÃO that means AIRPLANE and we type AVIAO and we have been type these words since the beginning of internet so we are used to it

there should have a change in internet culture to make IDNs known here and that is my point; i am not saying they will not be successful but i am saying it will take at least 5-10 years and a promotion of an IDN by a big company to people realize: "Hey, we can type IDNs in the browser"

indeed, a long term investment and i think it really worth it

2) we use any extension; it does not matter if it is .com, .com.br, .info, etc
besides, we have other extensions like .med.br (for doctors), .art.br, .ind.br, .imb.br (real estate), etc; we have more than 40 extensions and what really matters here is how necessary the service you are providing is

hope i have helped with a brazilian POV :)

•••
In my country nobody uses IDNs even when they are cheaper to register than non-IDNs.
People are simply used to the fact that "you can't use special symbols on the internet" although these times are long gone, people's habits change slowly...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back