Dynadot

discuss Let's discuss the stories buyers use to get a better price and to hide who they are

NameSilo
Watch
Some of these could be true, however, over the years when I was able to track down who the person behind the email or contact form is, it was always BS.

1. Student working on a school project and see I am not doing anything with the domain anyway

2. Buying the domain as a gift for someone that went through a lot

3. Need a price because they must include it in the investor desk

4. They have a big list of names they can use and they are emailing everyone

5. They are fine getting the name in any extension but figured they can take the dot com if I don't want it

6. Fake broken English

7. They got the gd appraisal and they think it's high but can meet me half way

8. What else comes with the domain. This one was from a domainer playing stupid.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Lol! I've heard a few of these, but never #1. A student. That's funny.

•••
Not exactly hiding their identity, but still... Initial communication: "We are definitely the only company who may wish to purchase it, so we offer you $100 to cover management costs". Funniest part: the domain in question was not listed for sale under any model. Pure parking. Reserved it for the future (even before that company was formed).

In case of forsale domains, I noticed that more buyers now prefer to hide their identity by simply paying for 3rd party brokerage (Godaddy, domainagents). Some even manage to submit offers to Afternic on pure BIN Afternic-listed domains.

Last edited:
•••
I get some version of this a lot

“I am starting a small business/non-profit so money is really tight. I can only afford $150”

•••
StellarDrone and StellarDrones dot com he used #1 and they were listed at sedo immediately. This was years ago maybe 6-7 peeked 2015
Got 550usd for the set
Both still for sail by investors. it was funny, well still is

Site for sale
Message my son is doing a project and wants to blog about drones. Is this site still for sale? do you have .net too? thanks D

•••
This idiot started going up from $100 and I was going down from $988. Suddenly he reverses and starts bidding back down towards zero. I killed the deal and went back to $988 and would no longer negotiate with him. Never go backwards in bidding or I will tell you to f-ck off.

2022-08-27 20_27_34-Dashboard _ Dan.com.png

•••
The standard very weak defense “Nobody else wants this domain but me!” always makes me chuckle.

Also honorable mention to those who get furious you thought to register/obtain THEIR idea. “But you’re not even going to use it!”

Last edited:
•••
Some of these could be true, however, over the years when I was able to track down who the person behind the email or contact form is, it was always BS.

1. Student working on a school project and see I am not doing anything with the domain anyway

2. Buying the domain as a gift for someone that went through a lot

3. Need a price because they must include it in the investor desk

4. They have a big list of names they can use and they are emailing everyone

5. They are fine getting the name in any extension but figured they can take the dot com if I don't want it

6. Fake broken English

7. They got the gd appraisal and they think it's high but can meet me half way

8. What else comes with the domain. This one was from a domainer playing stupid.
There are lots of old classics there.

I have seen them all, some countless times.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
This one is the one I have gotten the most over the years.

The ones I truly enjoy the most are the ones from other investors that think they have masked enough information so I can not figure out who they are or find their 'real' contact info.

When this type of offer comes in, I simply double the price I want and send it to their 'real' email (only once have I made an error). All they would have to do is be up front with me and more often than not I will make them a pretty good offer at a discounted rate.

•••
Got the "starting a nonprofit for homeless street kids" on a .org that was already priced low.

•••

Wow, some folks really do get creative?!

•••
Back