IT.COM

strategy Leaving domaining for now, but wanted to share my experience and sales from the last 3 years

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Truespin Domains

Top Member
Impact
I have been tinkering with domaining on the side for about 3 years and have decided to focus on some other projects, but I thought it would be fun to look at my purchases and sales over the last few years and share these with the community.

I have taken a different approach to most people here, with a strong focus on quick flips and only holding a small number of domains at a time. The intention was to provide a steady stream of additional income, with minimum commitment.

All sales were conducted on NamePros, with the exception of one - which I will highlight. I am aware that I could have potentially increased sale prices by exploring other platforms, but the intention was to keep my time commitment at an absolute minimum.

It's worth mentioning that my intention with my domaining was only to generate a little extra cash on the side, hence quick flips. My records also weren't great, so have missed some very small buys and sales off the list, but nothing exciting.

With all that said, let's begin:

Laddr.com
BUY: $2,200
SOLD: $3,100

My first domain was also the biggest purchase price I paid for any domain. Looking back, it was far too much with the intention of doing a quick flip. I sold the domain about a year later, although during that period I did receive lots of offers for around my purchase price, so never felt like I was sitting on a potential loss.

Toppu.com
BUY: $320
SOLD: $70

I have no idea why I bought this domain, even less why I paid so much. I got a bit wrapped up in the auction. In the end I just wanted to get rid of it, hence selling for a significant loss. Was a lesson learnt.

Coinsular.com
BUY: $40
SOLD: $40

Not much to say really. Bought it, regretted it, and sold a few days later for the same price.

Soundly.org
BUY: $15

Personally I quite liked this domain, but not many other people seemed to share my views. That said, small profit achieved. Was good for confidence building, and reassuring myself I could sell domains for a profit.

Scouted.net
SOLD: $20

Decided not to bother with .nets ever again

Hookups.io
SOLD: $5

Realised after purchasing that io domains can't be used for adult content. Dumped asap.

Coinclap.com
SOLD: $50

Cryptotrades.org
SOLD: $75

For a while it dead easy to pick up random crypto domains and sell them for a small profit.

Raised.co.uk
BUY: $45
SOLD: $650

Managed to sell this domain less than 72 hours later on a UK domain platform. The original owner has attempted to sell on the same platform, but had no takers. Goes to show how fickle the domain market can be.

Destress.app
BUY: $20
SOLD: $48

Autoloans.io
SOLD: $150

Rising.co.uk

BUY: $500
SOLD: $800

This was a risky one, and looking back I was very lucky to make a profit on it. My previous .co.uk sale gave me a little too much false confidence. But got away with it.

Timely.org
SOLD: $200

PIXP.com
BUY: $310
SOLD: $450

This was a funny domain. I quite liked it. It looked good, but it was a nightmare to pronounce.

DNATesting.io

Pointless!

Fitter.net
SOLD: $80

Ignored my previous promise to myself and bought another .net. This time turned a small profit.

Cryptoprofits.org
SOLD: $15

Interest in random crypto domains seemingly dried up.

Bored.io
BUY: $301
SOLD: $250

Was actually planning on using this for one of my own websites, but decided against it. Offloaded at a loss. Could probably have recovered purchase price if I had held on.

BOHX.com
BUY: $1400
SOLD: $750 (but paid in crypto which I later sold for $2500)

Another personal project that never got off the ground. Actually sold at a loss, but was paid in Bitcoin when it was around 18k. So actually did really well out of it! I wouldn't have paid 1.4k as a reseller.

Genetically.me
BUY: $7
SOLD: $35

VAZP.com
BUY: $495
SOLD: $250

Don't buy domains after drinking! I actually misread this as VASP, and posted SOLD seconds after it was posted. Doh. Not actually a bad 4L, but as a reseller wasn't worth 500 bucks.

Founded.org
BUY: $150
SOLD: $400

Really liked this domain. Was surprised how cheap it was.

Xipy.com
BUY: $650
SOLD: $1,100

Great little 4L. If I wasn't leaving domaining, I'd have held onto it for an End User.

Epically.com
BUY: $750
SOLD: $1,500

Shake.io
BUY: $600
SOLD: $1800

My last domain sold! Again, if I wasn't leaving domaining I would have held long-term. Fantastic name, but happy with sale.

Overall I walked away with around $6,000 in profit, so about $2k per year. Which for a small side income was roughly what I was hoping for.

Definitely made some mistakes which ate into profits, but by the end I was pretty good at identifying profitable domains and making a return.

I'm not sure how I feel about the future of my personal adventures in domain buying and selling. As a long-term crypto fan, the last year has been very kind to me and my domain profits have seemed fairly inconsequential. I've also found it harder to get my hands on good domains at a reasonable costs, so we will see.

Anyway, I hope the above is of interest to people, and thanks to all those I've interacted with over the last few years.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are valuable gems in this journey.
Thanks for sharing .

•••
•••
Like anything else, it is all about timing and patience

I bet you will come back to domaining because this is a stress free BS hobby and easy peasy making money.
I hand reg 99% all my domains using GD 99cent and below $7 and resell for $$$...repeat repeat repeat...

Don't worry what others are making(because they lie), worry about what you are making.

•••
Hi
I think if you had kept some domains for a long time, you would have made big profits.
Investment diversification is good, but it requires permanent liquidity.
Great job.
Thanks for sharing

Best regards
Devanos

•••
Good luck in the future..

I quite like Shake.io & PIXP.com which I think are potential high 4-5 figure domains..

PIXP could be short for pixel xp, pixel profits and would do well as a brandable in the Gaming/NFT hype..

Shake is quite generic but you never know what value someone would have seen especially considering recent .io 5 figure sales boom..

Shake.io could relate to handshake, milkshake or to "shake the industry" which is a common phrase for something new that is causing change a.k.a cryptocurrency/blockchain/nfts..

Names like skin.io, palm.io, greet.io & leet.io all sold this year for over $10,000 each. I think shake is equally as good..

You had a small portfolio, but very nice names so when you return you'll do well..

Last edited:
•••
Thanks, this was really interesting, especially you had to sell few names at a loss! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Cheers

•••
This was a great Domain career with lots of lessons learnt!

•••
Like anything else, it is all about timing and patience

I bet you will come back to domaining because this is a stress free BS hobby and easy peasy making money.
I hand reg 99% all my domains using GD 99cent and below $7 and resell for $$$...repeat repeat repeat...

Don't worry what others are making(because they lie), worry about what you are making.
Never knew the GD 99cents were still available?

•••
•••
...my intention with my domaining was only to generate a little extra cash on the side, hence quick flips.

The point is;

Don’t lower your price just so someone can afford it. By lowering the price, you lower your esteem.

Setting a high price when a domain name is first introduced (offered) and then gradually lowering its price over time is a big pancake. Instead of starting with high prices, you can start with low prices and gradually upgrade. If your costs have increased (weekly, monthly), you put your prices up.

Another Q is: Are you an Investor, or just Investing? Do you consider yourself a trader or investor?

You may feel confident but do you have enough $ and time to think (act) I am an investor?

(Note: I'm not investor! I'm interested in more playful strategy - asset discovery. Discover, Take it, Test it, Keep it or Leave/Sell it.)

Regards

•••
Stop by my house for a beer before leaving.
My treat.

Did you ask for your wife's permission to throw out such a random invitation?

•••
•••
I think you had the right idea, but your issue seems to be making impulsive decisions then regretting. No point in selling for a loss when it's only $9/year to keep the name. You only lose when you sell for the loss.

There's always more than one way to look at a domain, and hookups can be more than adult related.

•••
All the best.
Come back soon.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back