Dynadot

discuss Just sold my first domain: chstgpt.com

NameSilo
Watch

christianpatrick

Upgraded Member
Impact
Hey all! After joining NP a few weeks ago, I began promoting my domains more seriously and just sold my first one: chstgpt.com!

Final amount was $1,250. What do you think? Was it too low or a good sale?

Attachments

• qsz08SNTSPfWiyGILFEZVWty8wpR1DdB.png
    qsz08SNTSPfWiyGILFEZVWty8wpR1DdB.png
    127.7 KB · Views: 150
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
First off, thank you for the constructive feedback and all the context. I’ve learned a ton today. In this situation, I learned after the fact that it was a trademark. However, I didn’t know typo squatting was a thing. Definitely won’t make that mistake again.

Out of curiosity, do you usually check Google or USPTO when you want to register a new domain?
USPTO only checks US trademarks. If you want comprehensive for the world, input any term you want to check at WIPO. That checks trademarks globally.

By default that WIPO page shows the 'quick search'. But if you click the 'by brand name' in the top left, it will be more accurate. Also, whether your term is multiple words or one word (like 'chat gpt' or 'chatgpt'), always put both versions into the search. First try one version, then after you see the result/s, click the 'edit' button and change it to the other. A term that doesn't show TM for one version, like two words separate, may well show up with TMs as a single word, and vice versa. Sometimes it will show TMs for both versions just by typing in one of them, but sometimes it misses that.

For 'ChatGPT' as one word, it shows 8 trademarks. Then when you click 'edit your search' and separate the two into 'chat gpt', it shows another TM that wasn't included in the first 8.

:)

Note that searching trademark sites only shows registered trademarks for any term you're interested in. Also wise to check Google to see what companies come up for that term, how they're using it, etc, because companies don't need to show a registered TM in order to sue for 'bad faith' domains. They can prove an active commercial use for that term and still sue. It's complicated, and I'm just simplifying things here, but the best advice is to just 'be careful'. Ha. There are much longer and more detailed threads here at Namepros that discuss the potential do's and don't's involved with domains, trademarks, usage rights, all that stuff.

Good luck.

Oh, and nice that you're open to 'hearing us'. So many newbies start in with the TM hand registrations, then ask for our advice about them... then proceed to argue and tell us how wrong we are, how dumb we are, and that we're just 'haters', when we mention that they're playing with hot potatoes with all their TM domains. Refreshing to see you accept and learn right away. Nice going ;)

•••
Not quite sure what you mean. chatgpt is, but not chstgpt.
Your domain, as you acknowledge, is a typo of ChatGPT. It's called 'typosquatting'. And it can basically get you into the same trouble as regging any domain with the correct spelling: it's a 'bad faith' reg, intending solely to profit on the trademark holder's name. Even by typo (the law covers profiting by domain typo - not just 'confusingly similar', but it's also very obvious that the 's' is probably the most common typo of 'a', being right beside it on the keypad).

As a newbie domainer, it's a common mistake. We all did it (at least I, and almost every domainer I know, did it) in the early days. Before we found out it was a mistake and that the TM holder could come after us legally.

The bald facts: You chose a typo of a well known trademark; you didn't know that you could be sued for trying to profit from it; many people have done the same thing and still do it; most people get away with it and never receive a c&d email (Cease and Desist), and even fewer get sued for trademark infringement. So you take your chances, and see what happens.

It's important to note, though:
- this IS a typo squatting case, clear and simple
- so you 'were' at the mercy of the trademark holder (I say 'were', because now the domain is in someone else's hands). If the TM owner ever found out about the domain, and if they chose to litigate, they have a rock-solid case. Some TM owners actively and aggressively search out trademark infringements (especially checking new registrations each day), most of them don't.

So, I'm not tossing a grenade at you; you haven't done something terrible, ha ha. But you unknowingly did something actionable by the TM holder, and I'm just clarifying that so you can add this info to your future domain decisions. What you did was technically illegal and was actionable by the TM holder, should they ever wish to sue (you or with the current owner). So please, please, please be careful with your thinking and with how you reg/buy domains in the future. TM names are 'hot potatoes'... you can keep passing them on quickly and might never have a problem... or you might get burned.

Good luck, and congrats on the sale ;)

Last edited:
•••
most likely sold to a parking guy, congratulations!

•••
This is the best sale i’vs seen in my life;
i wouldnt pay $250 or $25 for chstgpt
You got $1,250. Thanks for sharing! You inspire.

Last, but not least, notice it’s .com !!

•••
Congratulations on your sale. Definitely learnt a lot from it and the feedbacks that followed.

•••
First off, thank you for the constructive feedback and all the context. I’ve learned a ton today. In this situation, I learned after the fact that it was a trademark. However, I didn’t know typo squatting was a thing. Definitely won’t make that mistake again.

Out of curiosity, do you usually check Google or USPTO when you want to register a new domain?
DELL.com straight-up took DRLL.com for the exact reason; but DRLL was even dumber and re-directed to a site Parked page with DELL affiliate ads.
It’s my favorite example of this; perhaps, they may have has a shot if they didnt Park DRLL.
Hat tip: @Acroplex; thanks for sharing! Still recall like; yesterday some UDRP decisions; stick with you:
https://domaingang.com/domain-law/dell-grabs-typo-domain-drll-com-via-the-udrp-process/

Today, DRLL.com still re-directs to DELL.com

Last edited:
•••
That's a good ROI, considering its misspelled. Welcome buddy

•••
Congratulations on the sale...now you are hooked!

•••
•••
Congrats man , you did great!
Btw how did you promote it and what do you think are the best ways for promoting domains

•••
Congrats man , you did great!
Btw how did you promote it and what do you think are the best ways for promoting domains
Appreciate it! I posted it to a few places on Reddit and also put some focus into initial SEO (linking it to Google Search Console, etc.)

With this domain, I think I just got lucky though. As the person who purchased reached out through WHOIS. However, I did have it listed with Afternic as well.

•••
Appreciate it! I posted it to a few places on Reddit and also put some focus into initial SEO (linking it to Google Search Console, etc.)

With this domain, I think I just got lucky though. As the person who purchased reached out through WHOIS. However, I did have it listed with Afternic as well.
Alright I'll keep what you said in mind and try to work with it , thanks for the tips man and keep killing it ! 😃

•••
Hi

the buyer prolly was another domainer, speculating that the domain has some typo traffic.

congrats on your sale

imo...

•••
•••
Hey all! After joining NP a few weeks ago, I began promoting my domains more seriously and just sold my first one: chstgpt

Final amount was $1,250. What do you think? Was it too low or a good sale?
Congratulations!

•••
Congrats! Now do what I did. 15 years ago I sold my first domain and bought an old sailboat. So.. time to buy an old sailboat.

•••
Your domain, as you acknowledge, is a typo of ChatGPT. It's called 'typosquatting'. And it can basically get you into the same trouble as regging any domain with the correct spelling: it's a 'bad faith' reg, intending solely to profit on the trademark holder's name. Even by typo (the law covers profiting by domain typo - not just 'confusingly similar', but it's also very obvious that the 's' is probably the most common typo of 'a', being right beside it on the keypad).

As a newbie domainer, it's a common mistake. We all did it (at least I, and almost every domainer I know, did it) in the early days. Before we found out it was a mistake and that the TM holder could come after us legally.

The bald facts: You chose a typo of a well known trademark; you didn't know that you could be sued for trying to profit from it; many people have done the same thing and still do it; most people get away with it and never receive a c&d email (Cease and Desist), and even fewer get sued for trademark infringement. So you take your chances, and see what happens.

It's important to note, though:
- this IS a typo squatting case, clear and simple
- so you 'were' at the mercy of the trademark holder (I say 'were', because now the domain is in someone else's hands). If the TM owner ever found out about the domain, and if they chose to litigate, they have a rock-solid case. Some TM owners actively and aggressively search out trademark infringements (especially checking new registrations each day), most of them don't.

So, I'm not tossing a grenade at you; you haven't done something terrible, ha ha. But you unknowingly did something actionable by the TM holder, and I'm just clarifying that so you can add this info to your future domain decisions. What you did was technically illegal and was actionable by the TM holder, should they ever wish to sue (you or with the current owner). So please, please, please be careful with your thinking and with how you reg/buy domains in the future. TM names are 'hot potatoes'... you can keep passing them on quickly and might never have a problem... or you might get burned.

Good luck, and congrats on the sale ;)

•••
USPTO only checks US trademarks. If you want comprehensive for the world, input any term you want to check at WIPO. That checks trademarks globally.

By default that WIPO page shows the 'quick search'. But if you click the 'by brand name' in the top left, it will be more accurate. Also, whether your term is multiple words or one word (like 'chat gpt' or 'chatgpt'), always put both versions into the search. First try one version, then after you see the result/s, click the 'edit' button and change it to the other. A term that doesn't show TM for one version, like two words separate, may well show up with TMs as a single word, and vice versa. Sometimes it will show TMs for both versions just by typing in one of them, but sometimes it misses that.

For 'ChatGPT' as one word, it shows 8 trademarks. Then when you click 'edit your search' and separate the two into 'chat gpt', it shows another TM that wasn't included in the first 8.

:)

Note that searching trademark sites only shows registered trademarks for any term you're interested in. Also wise to check Google to see what companies come up for that term, how they're using it, etc, because companies don't need to show a registered TM in order to sue for 'bad faith' domains. They can prove an active commercial use for that term and still sue. It's complicated, and I'm just simplifying things here, but the best advice is to just 'be careful'. Ha. There are much longer and more detailed threads here at Namepros that discuss the potential do's and don't's involved with domains, trademarks, usage rights, all that stuff.

Good luck.

Oh, and nice that you're open to 'hearing us'. So many newbies start in with the TM hand registrations, then ask for our advice about them... then proceed to argue and tell us how wrong we are, how dumb we are, and that we're just 'haters', when we mention that they're playing with hot potatoes with all their TM domains. Refreshing to see you accept and learn right away. Nice going ;)
Thank you so much! This is amazing information into checking trademarks globally to avoid issue. Never heard of “bad faith” domains but digging into a few articles about it now. Appreciate your time!

•••
That's a good ROI, considering its misspelled. Welcome buddy
Thanks! I was thinking low 4's seemed pretty good considering the misspelling.

•••
Hi

the buyer prolly was another domainer, speculating that the domain has some typo traffic.

congrats on your sale

imo...
I think you nailed it there. I noticed it’s on Bodis already 🤣

That’s the next step of learning for me.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Back