IT.COM

Just bought an awesome GD BIN auction domain, fake?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

nick3

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone,

I just bought an awesome generic .com domain at GoDaddy auction for around 70 euro BIN. I don't want to say the name yet, but this one could be sold for thousands, think even 50k+. So I am probably being scammed..? Of course I have to wait 14 days, but I am already looking forward to a GD email with bad news... Ever happened to anyone of you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"Expired auction tasting" sounds legit.

How would you transfer out an expired name?
"technically possible" sounds like headache on that route.

•••
I was up at 3 am my time. Half asleep, logged in to Afternic, just saw Most.com listed at $50 BIN , in just added section. My heart skipped a beat, I hurriedly bought it and just waited for it to deliver in my account.
A couple of days later, Afternic said that was a scammer, he never owned it. Those were my early days, should have checked the domain's history etc.

•••
LaptopParts? I once worked in the computer industry so yes it is a huge industry. But I cannot imagine a company branding their business on that name.

•••
for an $80 fee to recover the domain and take it out of auction last minute?

No need to spend so much, you can transfer it out for under $10 for nearly ten days after the auction ends. It takes just 15 minutes to get the domain to the new registrar.

•••
"Expired auction tasting" sounds legit.

How would you transfer out an expired name?
"technically possible" sounds like headache on that route.

Done it many times, no more difficult than any other transfer. Just need to know GD hide those expired names under another tab so you might think they are gone.

I guess if this stuff is deliberate you could call it Auction Bouncing.

•••
No need to spend so much, you can transfer it out for under $10 for nearly ten days after the auction ends. It takes just 15 minutes to get the domain to the new registrar.

How?
ICANN?

edit:
just saw your reply above.

So one can find auth code under that "hidden" area?

Last edited:
•••
How?
ICANN?

No, Godaddy allow transfers out up to about 42 days after expiry - check their ToS for details. That is longer than many registrars, but they don't publicise this. Just try it.

You unlock the domain and click to email yourself the authcode - can't recall if they authcode is also there in the interface to copy and paste.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks mate!

I once read that.. but never found it. Did not try hard enough either..

•••
@nick3 what's the creation date of the domain?
20 years old

Btw, status is "Authorization code needed", so I think the seller hasn't sent this code to GD. Anoyone experience how long this normally takes?

Last edited:
•••
Hi everyone, I just bought an awesome generic .com domain at GoDaddy auction for around 70 euro BIN.

Sounds like a really nice dream; "awesome generic one word .COM for 70Euro BIN" ? gives me goosebumps .. :xf.wink: :xf.wink: but whatever, really wish you a good luck and that it turns to be R.E.A.L !!!!

Last edited:
•••
@nick3 good luck

generic one word 20 year old gem

Please do let us know the name when you have it in your account

•••
Yeah things happen.. hope it turns out to be real :)

•••
Would be great if someone could share his experience with this:

status is "Authorization code needed", so I think the seller hasn't sent this code to GD. Anoyone experience how long this normally takes?

•••
20 years old

Btw, status is "Authorization code needed", so I think the seller hasn't sent this code to GD. Anoyone experience how long this normally takes?

few days to few weeks, and sometimes seller doesn't send it at all. After a month (AFAIK), GoDaddy closes sellers auction account.

•••
few days to few weeks, and sometimes seller doesn't send it at all. After a month (AFAIK), GoDaddy closes sellers auction account.
This is probably going to happen. Minutes after I bought it, GoDaddy sent me an email that they have sent a request for the Authorisation code to the email registered to this domain (it's a long number @whoisprivacyetcetc). Think nothing will happen and they close that account.

•••
Do let us know the domain name whether it lands in your account or not. Good luck.

•••
fingers crossed for you.. let us know how you get on

•••
For all those doubting people/domainers deliberately letting domains get close to expiration and then renewing them last minute I personally know domainers that do this all day long.

It is an extremely useful free market appraisal and as in the case above (laptopparts.com) can be used for leverage in reselling elsewhere for solid ROI.

Oh and good luck OP I highly doubt you will get the name but I hope i'm wrong.

Last edited:
•••
Hope this works out for you mate.....would really be awesome!. 20 year old .com generic...

Stop expecting the worst dude...lol, you seem to be convinced already that it's going to crash and burn....

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. What will be, will be....

•••
Hope this works out for you mate.....would really be awesome!. 20 year old .com generic...

Stop expecting the worst dude...lol, you seem to be convinced already that it's going to crash and burn....

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. What will be, will be....
Haha thanks. But of course I'm expecting the worst :p It's like winning the lottery.

•••
I was up at 3 am my time. Half asleep, logged in to Afternic, just saw Most.com listed at $50 BIN , in just added section. My heart skipped a beat, I hurriedly bought it and just waited for it to deliver in my account.
A couple of days later, Afternic said that was a scammer, he never owned it. Those were my early days, should have checked the domain's history etc.
These are my early days too, can you advise me how you can detect a scammer?

•••
•••
Who said the hidden gems weren't generic? ;)

SPOT ON! But you have done your research and already have comp. sales prices in your head before you purchase that name. Am I right?? :xf.wink:

•••
SPOT ON! But you have done your research and already have comp. sales prices in your head before you purchase that name. Am I right?? :xf.wink:
Indeed you are right. :xf.cool:

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back