IT.COM

Just bought an awesome GD BIN auction domain, fake?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

nick3

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone,

I just bought an awesome generic .com domain at GoDaddy auction for around 70 euro BIN. I don't want to say the name yet, but this one could be sold for thousands, think even 50k+. So I am probably being scammed..? Of course I have to wait 14 days, but I am already looking forward to a GD email with bad news... Ever happened to anyone of you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
NO, $2500 was my winning bid for that expired domain, and the owner renewed it the last day.
GD will simply refund you your money.
GD doesn't provide any "evaluations"...and LaptopP*A*R*T*S.com is worth more then 2.5k....that was just my final bid.

lol I think you misunderstood friend.

TDM didn't say they "provide" any "evaluations" but the fact that you bid THAT high on a domain? well then the owner now has a sorta "heads up" on what the "market" value of this domain is.

so now with that "data" and knowing he can at least sell this domain for $2500?

for an $80 fee to recover the domain and take it out of auction last minute?

that's a good move I think.

the question is or the real "kicker" is

will the original bidder who bid up to $2500. will this person be pissed? will that person ever come back if the domain owner posts it for auction again?

What online marketplaces or registrars should do is give domain owners who decide to rescue their domains from auction a way to contact the original bidders via private message via Godaddy (for example)

I for one would pay an extra $xx for that option to contact say the domain bidder who bid $2500.

I mean if I've paid $20 for 2 years reg and then $80 to recover a domain from the brink of being sold at auction for $2500?

I would pay $100 happily to be able to contact the original $2500 bidder and let them know they can have the domain for the original last bid they made for $2500.

my loss? $20+$80+$100+ 15% commission to godaddy. profit? $1925.

not bad right?

especially when you as the domain owner almost lost the domain.

I wonder why they don't allow this or have this feature?

This would make things so much easier.

I don't even need to have the persons contact info. It would be similar to how DomainAgents works in which the buyer and seller don't know each other buy can message each other via DomainAgents.

•••
@TerriJ kind of.

not listing it.
have GD listing it in expired auction.

Don't know, and haven't planned nor done. Just reading between the lines from @maxtorz .. it came out of my head.. flushed my fingers.. and finally hit nP :)

Last edited:
•••
lol I think you misunderstood friend.

TDM didn't say they "provide" any "evaluations" but the fact that you bid THAT high on a domain? well then the owner now has a sorta "heads up" on what the "market" value of this domain is.

so now with that "data" and knowing he can at least sell this domain for $2500?

for an $80 fee to recover the domain and take it out of auction last minute?

that's a good move I think.

the question is or the real "kicker" is

will the original bidder who bid up to $2500. will this person be pissed? will that person ever come back if the domain owner posts it for auction again?

What online marketplaces or registrars should do is give domain owners who decide to rescue their domains from auction a way to contact the original bidders via private message via Godaddy (for example)

I for one would pay an extra $xx for that option to contact say the domain bidder who bid $2500.

I mean if I've paid $20 for 2 years reg and then $80 to recover a domain from the brink of being sold at auction for $2500?

I would pay $100 happily to be able to contact the original $2500 bidder and let them know they can have the domain for the original last bid they made for $2500.

my loss? $20+$80+$100+ 15% commission to godaddy. profit? $1925.

not bad right?

especially when you as the domain owner almost lost the domain.

I wonder why they don't allow this or have this feature?

This would make things so much easier.

I don't even need to have the persons contact info. It would be similar to how DomainAgents works in which the buyer and seller don't know each other buy can message each other via DomainAgents.

1.Bidding is anonymous on GD marketplace, so the owner can't contact the bidder at a latter time;
2.I would happily pay $2500 now on a domain that is worth 8-12K imo;

Namebio:
laptopparts.com 2,402 USD 2016-08-05 GoDaddy (My final bid)
laptopparts.com 3,000 USD 2016-08-24 Flippa(somebody else bought it on Flippa latter)

It does appear that the owner was testing the waters by letting it expire on GD, renewed it and stuck it on Flippa and then sold at 3k.

•••
i don't recommend doing that strategy, you never know when the systems go down, payment doesn't go through or GD changes their policy . lol

•••
yeah would not call that a strategy either.

But on names intended to let drop anyway.. bids may get someone to rethink that decision.

I know I would.

If some supposedly craps (hence the drop) get cool bids..

edit:
on the other hand I somehow got the strong feeling that resellers love to bid on expired's.
That same name would otherwise be unsellable.

I mean, how many domains get sold here for eg a few bucks where bidding just stops in the 15ish range.. or even stay unsold at all... most maybe happily paid 70+ from expired list

Last edited:
•••
100% no typo, what is IDN?

This might be the issue. The fact that the OP asked "What is an IDN?" could mean that it might be an IDN that looks like the real thing.
An IDN is an International Domain Name - a domain with letters that are not in the english alphabet, although some of letters may look identical to letters in the English alphabet.

Anyway, great buy for you if it turns out that there are no typos and it's not an IDN

Last edited:
•••
This might be the issue. The fact that the OP asked "What is an IDN?" could mean that it might be an IDN that looks like the real thing.
An IDN is an International Domain Name - a domain with letters that are not in the english alphabet, although some of letters may look identical to letters in the English alphabet.

Anyway, great buy for you if it turns out that there are no typos and it's not an IDN

doesn't all domain marketplaces for listers to admit if a domain is IDN or not?

unless OP did see this info in the listing? Domain listings do specific IDN or not IDN yes?

•••
Probably 3..

BTW: the domain was listed less than an hour and I bought it immediately.

1 hour is like an eternity.. when comes to world wide exposure.. to millions of domainers... for something selling for 100$ while being worth 50k.

if this were true, this thing wouldn't last 1 hour. it wouldn't even last 1 minute.

I wish you get what you think you will, but you won't.

cheers

•••
Hope you get it. I've found a ton of gems this way - you never know.

•••
That's the reason we do it, its like a virtual treasure hunt.

•••
That's the reason we do it, its like a virtual treasure hunt.

so are these threads. great keywords being mentioned all the time! hmmm "VirtualTreasureHunt" :xf.wink:

•••
he wasn't talking about hidden gems with potential.. or treasure hunts ;)

he said generic .com

•••
he wasn't talking about hidden gems with potential.. or treasure hunts ;)

he said generic .com

Who said the hidden gems weren't generic? ;)

•••
doesn't all domain marketplaces for listers to admit if a domain is IDN or not?

unless OP did see this info in the listing? Domain listings do specific IDN or not IDN yes?

Yeah... you gotta state that it's an IDN. It would be false advertising otherwise.

•••
No it's not an IDN, I just checked. Although I might be a bit optimistic with the 50k+. But at least the similar .net domain is listed around 10k-15k (different owner).

•••
•••
•••
Haha. Ohhhhh but they were. :greedy:

well.. I'm still gonna say that the days of buying generic .com with liquid like value of 50k+ for $100 have ended a good while ago ehhehe

•••
well.. I'm still gonna say that the days of buying generic .com with liquid like value of 50k+ for $100 have ended a good while ago ehhehe

Me too, must be fake :( but lets see what will happen

•••
is it a one word dictionary or 2 words

•••
•••
well i can say good lucky buddy hope it will turn good for you

•••
@nick3 - Best of Luck - I really hope you grabbed a gem and that you actually get it!

OK so for any of you experts, why is this 14 days wait to find out? I don't use GD much. And is it AT MOST 14 days, but if original owner redeems/renews it ends sooner?
AND since you can technically transfer out after expiry, you could avoid the GD redemption fee and transfer out except that is a huge risk timing wise?

ALSO does anyone have a term for this - even if you make one up? Purposefully allowing a domain to expire to go to auction? I asked in another similar thread and got no ideas
. . . is there a term for this? Expired Auction Tasting?

•••
Menus.com sold for $70 back in 199X and flipped for 25k...and in 2017 people buying 70Euro domain with 50k value? common now :))) It's not the lottery anymore
I think people definition of "generic .com domain" has been stretched a bit....

3 years ago I have hand reg. 3 word domain and year later I have sold that domain for 40k+ EUR. So, it is possible. Why not?

•••
@nick3 what's the creation date of the domain?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back