IT.COM

news John Oliver’s Last Week Tonight Buys JudgeForYourselves.com for 2500

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DN Playbook

Established Member
Impact
John Oliver has registered or purchased domains before on the aftermarket. This past weekend (yesterday) he revealed that his team had purchased a domain that rivals an inferior domain purchased by a pharma family dynasty. They even developed a competing website. And it was cheap. Check it out:

John Oliver’s Last Week Tonight Buys JudgeForYourselves.com for 2500

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
they are going to trick so many geezers with that ploy

Last edited:
•••
they are going to trick so many geezers with that ploy

They are going to tick off the Sackler family that owns the .info domain. Why would they settle for .info if they could easily afford .com? Doesn't make sense.

•••
Given the ridiculous bias of the network I will pass.

•••
Given the ridiculous bias of the network I will pass.

I understand that we prefer to consume content that speaks to our biases. But this is not about bias, it is about the domain name itself.

•••
I understand that we prefer to consume content that speaks to our biases. But this is not about bias, it is about the domain name itself.
Nah its just that it's not really worth pointing out, championing or encouraging. It's always one side that likes to weaponise things, including domains, just to look virtuous. It happens over and over again and petty people get excited about it, write articles about it, tweet about it. Well I don't get excited about it and these domains wouldn't do anything without armies of people ready to jump on it to point it out.

I don't wallow in the demise of other people and tbh I don't think that domain was worth buying. It's just so JO could get that fake applause.

•••
Nah its just that it's not really worth pointing out, championing or encouraging. It's always one side that likes to weaponise things, including domains, just to look virtuous. It happens over and over again and petty people get excited about it, write articles about it, tweet about it. Well I don't get excited about it and these domains wouldn't do anything without armies of people ready to jump on it to point it out.

I don't wallow in the demise of other people and tbh I don't think that domain was worth buying. It's just so JO could get that fake applause.

So you think that a rich family who could have easily acquired a dot com but opted for dot info is irrelevant? That it doesn't speak to the ignorance in the end users' of value and importance of acquiring the best domains? It wasn't John Oliver that chose the SLD. But it looks bad on the Sacklers to go with a weak TLD. Especially when the superior TLD was so cheap.

Last edited:
•••
The shady Sackler family, worth billions, hand registered a .info. :ROFL:

•••
So you think that a rich family who could have easily acquired a dot com but opted for dot info is irrelevant? That it doesn't speak to the ignorance in the end users' of value and importance of acquiring the best domains? It wasn't John Oliver that chose the SLD. But it looks bad on the Sacklers to go with a weak TLD. Especially when the superior TLD was so cheap.
I think I've made my point now and I'm not trying to roast you for pointing it out or anything, but I do think it was absolutely fine until someone famous decided to use the .com against them. I think it would have happened on a different domain even if they had chosen a name that was a .com, he would have just tacked a word on or weaponised some other kind of thing like he's done in the past against others.

The fact they're rich doesn't mean that they should waste money at every turn either.

•••
The fact they're rich doesn't mean that they should waste money at every turn either.

The issue is not that they are rich. The issue is how that got rich, by endangering the health and wellness of millions of people for many years.

They deserve to be mocked.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
The issue is not that they are rich. The issue is how that got rich, by endangering the health and wellness of millions of people for many years.

Brad
Indeed. Though that 2k could have gone to someone who's suffering. It's not the first or the last time that someone got rich by getting people hooked on something or providing products that make them ill.

It's also worth pointing out that it's a bad domain in any extension. To make it personal or would be "yourself" instead of "yourselves".

•••

Brad

I’ll quote Mad

“Given the ridiculous bias of the network I will pass”

Good luck

Last edited:
•••
Indeed. Though that 2k could have gone to someone who's suffering. It's not the first or the last time that someone got rich by getting people hooked on something or providing products that make them ill.

It's also worth pointing out that it's a bad domain in any extension. To make it personal or would be "yourself" instead of "yourselves".

It is obvious that whether it's John Oliver or the Sackler family, 2K is a tiny drop in the bucket. We are in no position to judge who is doing what and how much to help those suffering. However, if you are registering a domain to do damage control and are too cheap to acquire the dot com then what does that tell you? Bad PR decision. If you have the money and are too cheap to get the dot com then why even begin.

•••
However, if you are registering a domain to do damage control and are too cheap to acquire the dot com then what does that tell you? Bad PR decision.
I agree.

I tell you what though, we should probably not trust pharmaceutical companies to do the right thing... kind've makes you wonder what storm there is brewing at the moment doesn't it. :stop:

Last edited:
•••
JudgeForYourselves.com is now the highest listed domain at $10,000,000,000! 😱

(Yes, I know it's a joke)

Last edited:
•••
The shady Sackler family, worth billions, hand registered a .info. :ROFL:
Let's say they're worth $10 billion vs someone who's worth $5 million which is still pretty rich. The equivalent for the person with $5 million is $1.25 (5,000,000 x 2,500 / 10,000,000,000).

I figured out the equivalent for myself and I would literally need a penny cutting machine to buy the .com. I'd need to grind a penny into powder to divide it enough times to hand register the .info. LMAO.

Last edited:
•••
Back