Dynadot

Jewelry.com Rebranding To Welry.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just got an email about this one. Going from Jewelry.com to Welry.com

What do you guys thing about that one? I think it's nuts. It's all jewelry, so they have the perfect name already. Radio test, saying it out loud, I think a lot would spell it Wellry, with 2 l's. Then ask, what is a Welry?

http://www.jewelry.com already redirecting to Welry

This is their reasoning:

"What is Welry? Welry is on a mission to create the digital destination for all things jewelry. As part of the Richline Group, one of the largest jewelry manufacturers in the US, we're using our long-standing knowledge in the jewelry industry to offer customers the best quality, choice, and guidance."

--------
I still like Buy.com over Rakuten.com. They actually had to do commercials explaining what Rakuten is.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I guess, i know why sales are slow. People are busy buying "pigeon shit".

•••
Seriously though, if I was spending serious coin I would go after Jewel.com

That is a real gem of a domain.

Unless of course I could get gem.com then all bets are off!!
Jewel is great, but if I couldn't get that Jewels or Jewlz are still better than Welry:xf.rolleyes:

•••
One "long run" - reason for their move may be the (relatively new) presence of the 1st (top) level domain called .jewelry (that anyone can register) which has somehow weakened their (relatively) unique selling point - in other words, their 2nd level domain got topped by "their" own (generic) term ("jewelry"), so they "invented" a non - generic one.

Last edited:
•••
It's certainly an interesting move but more or less expected.

From a business perspective, a brandable name makes much more sense because majority of the marketing effort won't be wasted on helping competitors (i.e. when you think about the brand Zales you think about buying from one of their stores; when you think about Jewelry you think about buying from any store because it's hard to make the connection to Jewelry.com right away).

You can also trademark brandables which offers a lot of legal protection. For instance, you can't trademark "Jewelry" for a service that offers jewelry but you can trademark "Welry". This helps make the brand exclusive meaning you will be the only one in the world that's able to legally sell products with that name.

I think we in the domain world sometimes forget that branding is very important for businesses. People no longer type domains directly into their browsers like they used to back in the day. Today, they use search engines, mobile apps, and voice devices like Amazon Echo and Google Home to find products.

Now sure this company could've used something better than "Welry" but as we all know finding good domain names that are still available is pretty damn hard!

•••
They had the category defining domain in the right US spelling and they choose to rebrand with a low xxxx value domain, this is silly. I understand all the guys in the "brandable domains" are going to say they made a good move but they didn't.

I think everybody will be more likely to click on jewelry.com in the google search results than in werly.com.

The fist one has authority, the second one says "we didn't have the the money to get jewelry.com", so it means "we are cheap"! The funny thing is that they have the other name!

Last edited:
•••
A brand "converts" the generic product into a unique product, creates the bridge from the manufacturer into peoples minds > life and seperates competitors; it has the personal touch that the customer is looking for since it conveys stronger that someone is (behind the product and) in charge if needed while a generic name fits better as a source for information / advertising / forwarder (like they do).

To own both (generic term + brand name) and use in their each most fitting way is the best szenario.

Last edited:
•••
This is one of the most idiotic branding decisions I've seen in my lifetime.

They already have the perfect domain, one that other companies would kill for, yet they rebrand as something nonsensical like Welry.com (I had to look again in order to spell it - not good)?

Wow, this smells like the decision of an incompetent, like a moron son or daughter inherited the business from their father, and is intent on "taking it to the next level". Or maybe a new CEO looking to put their "own personal stamp on the business".

I have seen this type of insane "distancing for the sake of distancing" behavior first-hand, but this one takes the cake.

Last edited:
•••
From a business perspective, a brandable name makes much more sense because majority of the marketing effort won't be wasted on helping competitors (i.e. when you think about the brand Zales you think about buying from one of their stores; when you think about Jewelry you think about buying from any store because it's hard to make the connection to Jewelry.com right away).

Mr. Patel, I just want to say that is the most profoundly and concisely intelligent thing I have read on this forum in years.

•••
Mr. Patel, I just want to say that is the most profoundly and concisely intelligent thing I have read on this forum in years.

No one said the concept was wrong, only that the choice to go with something idiotic like Welry.com was not even remotely the right choice.

I could fart out a better brandable than that.

Last edited:
•••
It's certainly an interesting move but more or less expected.

You can also trademark brandables which offers a lot of legal protection. For instance, you can't trademark "Jewelry" for a service that offers jewelry but you can trademark "Welry". This helps make the brand exclusive meaning you will be the only one in the world that's able to legally sell products with that name.

I think we in the domain world sometimes forget that branding is very important for businesses. People no longer type domains directly into their browsers like they used to back in the day. Today, they use search engines, mobile apps, and voice devices like Amazon Echo and Google Home to find products.

Now sure this company could've used something better than "Welry" but as we all know finding good domain names that are still available is pretty damn hard!

If Booking.com got brand protection I think they can get as well with Jewelry.com.

By the way good luck market a name like Welry.com. It will be expensive, the other one markets itself. you don't have to convince somebody to click as it is obvious that the domain define what they sell and being a generic gives instant trust to the client.

Will someone more likely to book an hotel on these sites: Hotels.com Booking.com or for example on a brandable like Trivago.com?

The last one had to invest many many millions in advertising. I still remember the guy on TV explaining to me in every commercial what the site is about...

The other two domains don't need someone explain what their business is about, they don't millions in advertising to try to get some credibility...

Last edited:
•••
The point why they did it is because they own the keyword as forwarder, so no risk at all.

•••
I contacted WELRY / RICHLINE GROUP via email and recommended them to use their keyword - .com - domain name jewelry.com for a blank page that forwards automatically to the sub domain name je.welry.com (not yet existing, has to be created by them) after 3 seconds which should then also display a blank page that should forward automatically, also after 3 seconds, to their new website welry.com because this would be an innovative way to underline their rebranding.

If they will do so, then the domain name

https://www.jewelry.com
will display a blank page that will forward after 3 seconds to the domain name
https://www.je.welry.com
which will display a blank page that will forward after 3 seconds to their new domain name / website
https://www.welry.com
and their use of their keyword - .com - domain would be perfect in context of their rebranding.

Let's wait and see, I think Warren Buffet will like it.

Last edited:
•••
If Booking.com got brand protection I think they can get as well with Jewelry.com.

By the way good luck market a name like Welry.com. It will be expensive, the other one markets itself. you don't have to convince somebody to click as it is obvious that the domain define what they sell and being a generic gives instant trust to the client.

Will someone more likely to book an hotel on these sites: Hotels.com Booking.com or for example on a brandable like Trivago.com?

The last one had to invest many many millions in advertising. I still remember the guy on TV explaining to me in every commercial what the site is about...

The other two domains don't need someone explain what their business is about, they don't millions in advertising to try to get some credibility...

Seems like there are two different issues at play here.

1. Use of generic domains

"Booking.com" was able to be trademarked because it included the domain extension ".com" which made it unique. "Booking" on the other hand can't be trademarked because it's too generic unless it was used for a non-booking related product or service (e.g. restaurant or game).

The three examples you mentioned aren't all the same and we don't have all the information at our disposal to adequately assess the situation. For example, Trivago is a search engine that compares prices on Hotels.com, Booking.com, and others. We also don't know how much exactly each company spent on marketing among other factors. For instance, Hotels.com/Booking.com were founded in the 90s when it was much cheaper to market with much less competition. Trivago was born much later during a time when people hated ads and they had to compete against already established brands which meant they had to spend more marketing dollars to cut through all the noise.

On that note, just think about all the world's top companies (e.g. Google/Alphabet, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, etc). How many of them use a generic keyword-based domain that describes their primary business activity? Every one of them had the opportunity to use one during the early days but didn't because they realized the value of using a brandable name instead. Otherwise, Google would have used something like Search.com, Amazon would have used Books.com, Apple would have used Computer.com, etc.

As an added benefit, using a brandable name also allows companies to expand into other synergistic areas of business more easily without having to re-brand everything. For example, if Apple had used Computer.com back in the day, they would've had to re-brand themselves when the iPhones took off with a brandable name. And that would've meant losing a chunk of their target audience due to all the confusion created by the re-branding.

2. Use of the name Welry

Now sure this company could've used something better than "Welry" but as we all know finding good domain names that are still available is pretty damn hard! Also, we have no idea what type of data they used to conclude this was a good name for their company. For all we know, they came up with a few options and A/B tested them in a focus group.

At the end of the day, we have to remember that we're all human and a product of our environment. That makes us naturally biased towards things that each of us personally experienced throughout our lives. We domainers are no different than the person who probably made that decision to use Welry. It was what he/she thought was best for their company. So let's give that person the benefit of the doubt rather than prematurely criticizing the decision.

Contrary to what we domainers think, domains are a small piece of a much broader puzzle of executing a successful business. And 9 out of 10 times, we don't have enough information to assess the situation from the outside. It's easy for us to sit here in our comfy chairs and judge other people's decisions but we have to keep in mind that those people are making decisions based on their own biases and unique set of past experiences. Just like how you and I have come to our own conclusions based on our own past experiences. Let's respect that and the world will be a much better place. :)

Last edited:
•••
Seems like there are two different issues at play here.

1. Use of generic domains

"Booking.com" was able to be trademarked because it included the domain extension ".com" which made it unique. "Booking" on the other hand can't be trademarked because it's too generic unless it was used for a non-booking related product or service (e.g. restaurant or game).

The three examples you mentioned aren't all the same and we don't have all the information at our disposal to adequately assess the situation. For example, Trivago is a search engine that compares prices on Hotels.com, Booking.com, and others. We also don't know how much exactly each company spent on marketing among other factors. For instance, Hotels.com/Booking.com were founded in the 90s when it was much cheaper to market with much less competition. Trivago was born much later during a time when people hated ads and they had to compete against already established brands which meant they had to spend more marketing dollars to cut through all the noise.

On that note, just think about all the world's top companies (e.g. Google/Alphabet, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, etc). How many of them use a generic keyword-based domain that describes their primary business activity? Every one of them had the opportunity to use one during the early days but didn't because they realized the value of using a brandable name instead. Otherwise, Google would have used something like Search.com, Amazon would have used Books.com, Apple would have used Computer.com, etc.

As an added benefit, using a brandable name also allows companies to expand into other synergistic areas of business more easily without having to re-brand everything. For example, if Apple had used Computer.com back in the day, they would've had to re-brand themselves when the iPhones took off with a brandable name. And that would've meant losing a chunk of their target audience due to all the confusion created by the re-branding.

2. Use of the name Welry

Now sure this company could've used something better than "Welry" but as we all know finding good domain names that are still available is pretty damn hard! Also, we have no idea what type of data they used to conclude this was a good name for their company. For all we know, they came up with a few options and A/B tested them in a focus group.

At the end of the day, we have to remember that we're all human and a product of our environment. That makes us naturally biased towards things that each of us personally experienced throughout our lives. We domainers are no different than the person who probably made that decision to use Welry. It was what he/she thought was best for their company. So let's give that person the benefit of the doubt rather than prematurely criticizing the decision.

Contrary to what we domainers think, domains are a small piece of a much broader puzzle of executing a successful business. And 9 out of 10 times, we don't have enough information to assess the situation from the outside. It's easy for us to sit here in our comfy chairs and judge other people's decisions but we have to keep in mind that those people are making decisions based on their own biases and unique set of past experiences. Just like how you and I have come to our own conclusions based on our own past experiences. Let's respect that and the world will be a much better place. :)

What is the point of this reply? I am not entitled to have my ideas and post here in this forum?

What are we doing here if we can't discuss? Last time I checked the laws of my country and the laws of the country where this site is hosted this was allowed. Maybe something changed overnight?

What do you mean by "respect"? Did you have the respect to accept my point of view?

Did you have the respect of not saying things about me you don't know about and you are not able to check?

How you know I am a Domainer and not a Businessman? You post things without having a clue so better double check since you are promoting your business under every post you write.

Actually I like your domain and I didn't write something directed to you, I was talking about my ideas regarding a Jewerly site. That's all.

Last edited:
•••
What is the point of this reply? I am not entitled to have my ideas and post here in this forum?

What are we doing here if we can't discuss? Last time I checked the laws of my country and the laws of the country where this site is hosted this was allowed. Maybe something changed overnight?

What do you mean by "respect"? Did you have the respect to accept my point of view?

Did you have the respect of not saying things about me you don't know about and you are not able to check?

How you know I am a Domainer and not a Businessman? You post things without having a clue so better double check since you are promoting your business under every post you write.

Actually I like your domain and I didn't write something directed to you, I was talking about my ideas regarding a Jewerly site. That's all.

Sorry, if I hurt your feelings. That wasn't my intention. A lot of my thoughts were directed at the overall tone of this thread which is full of assumptions and toxicity against the person who made the decision to use Welry. You can clearly see that a lot of the feedback here is disrespectful to that person. Just like how you felt about my reply, imagine how that person must feel if he/she ever landed on this thread.

You're exactly right. We're all here to discuss and share our own experiences. But why can't we do it in a mutually respectful and productive manner?

As you pointed out, I have no idea what your background is and vice versa. I myself am a domainer, a businessman, and a whole bunch of other things but I don't think I'm an expert at anything. I still have plenty more to learn. The point of my reply was to refute some of the points you made after quoting my original reply. Just like you, I was merely sharing my own perspective on your thoughts. And I welcome yours. :)

•••

Last edited:
•••
Sorry, if I hurt your feelings. That wasn't my intention. A lot of my thoughts were directed at the overall tone of this thread which is full of assumptions and toxicity against the person who made the decision to use Welry. You can clearly see that a lot of the feedback here is disrespectful to that person. Just like how you felt about my reply, imagine how that person must feel if he/she ever landed on this thread.

You're exactly right. We're all here to discuss and share our own experiences. But why can't we do it in a mutually respectful and productive manner?

As you pointed out, I have no idea what your background is and vice versa. I myself am a domainer, a businessman, and a whole bunch of other things but I don't think I'm an expert at anything. I still have plenty more to learn. The point of my reply was to refute some of the points you made after quoting my original reply. Just like you, I was merely sharing my own perspective on your thoughts. And I welcome yours. :)

Thanks for the taking the time to reply to me. We have very similar ideas by the way. It is not the point about using a brandable domain, this as you explained makes sense of course.

The whole discussion was about:

domain1.com (generic but very good) vs. domain2.com (brandable but...).

Just this.

Good luck for your marketplace, I really love the domain, being Italian I had to study Latin at school, it was so boring. Only now I understand it was very good for everybody involved in naming, being a domainer or a businessman or a naming agency...

Last edited:
•••
LOL at first glance looks like PC on steroids. "hey, lets make sure our domain doesnt contain the word 'jew' because that may be offensive to some people"

•••
And all I see is the WordPress logo...

•••
The rebranding of Jewelry.com to Welry.com seems one of the most ridiculous rebranding I've ever seen.

•••
I did notice they are honouring a purchase grace return period for clients through the old Jewelry.com site.. Could this be because they may have sold the domain?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back