Dynadot

request Jason Newby, GoDaddy, who is he?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

webtitan

Restricted (Market)
Impact
There is one domain that expired and than registered(or maybe was bought at auction) at GoDaddy by Jason Newby.
Domain of itself does not represent anything and has zero value.

I sent many emails to this man, but received no response.

The database of service Domaintools shows that this man own near 20,000 domains

Someone knows about him any information?
Or maybe he is on this forum?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The plural was registered on January 29 2013.
The trademark was filed on March 6, 2013

The singular domain that Mr Neweby owns was registered October 22, 2012.

Some light reading before proceeding with any UDRP attempts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_domain_hijacking

•••

It was registered 1 year prior to your registration of the trademark and plural domain for Goods & Services: Sculptures

Domains are like assets, they take time and money to acquire. Although inconvenient/annoying, he didn't rob it from anyone. Just like someone owning a prime piece of real estate next to a major franchise that wants to expand but he doesn't want to sell to make it happen but owned that location before they came in.

I could understand if he's advertising to competitors on the site or harming your business, but he could very well sell this .com brand to a charts/graph or graphics design company or start one of his own if he pleases to.

It was in your benefit to do due diligence and contact the owner of xxxxxxxx.com prior to filing a trademark on it or around the same time. It's now 2 years after the fact and now threaten UDRPs for trademark infringement on something registered before you even started?

I'd put the ego aside, take it for $1K and be happy about it. Reverse domain-hijacking is not the route.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
Comparing a Trademark registration to a domain registration is like comparing apples to cars.
The "date of first business use" is what matters.
But, as with all things stated in this discussion thread, it's probably wise to get the facts from an attorney.
Just because something is said with an air of confidence does not make it fact.
The Anti-cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act has some great information.

•••
date of first business use isn't necessarily what matters. If you didn't have a trademark and he never heard of your company, then he did not register in bad-faith. You really are going to have an Up-hill battle to win the URDP. It's a nice domain, and his price is low. I would not spend more than the value of the domain to have a 50% chance of getting the domain

•••
This guy is an amazing troll. He owns many expiring domains. He lets them expire and go to auction. He checks the sale price. Then he renews it and trolls the auction winner.

It's quite funny. When I see "the registrant has renewed the domain" I actually predict Jason Newby before I check whois and I am usually right.

•••
I haven't seen any of his domains yet, but I hope I never do.

It would really suck to lose a name after watching and bidding on a name you really wanted.

•••
Everything decent that was auctioned at dynadot for the last month has been him. I won about 15 auctions that all got renewed.

•••
Baltimorecity

I think he might have a case against you! I don't know the domain, but it seems like you reg'd the plural version because the other was taken by him. Now you are trying to go after him just because you think you are entitled to the domain he owned prior to your business.

Seems like there may be a case of reverse hijacking going on here. I would tread carefully if I was you. You might lose the domain you own now.

What I'm hearing from you is that you don't think your business is worth $1000. If it is, then buy the domain or try to counter his offer and try to get it down a little more. Don't be mean, because he could raise the price on you, or just not sell it at all. He might even be able to start a business on the site he owns.

I don't know UDRP law that much, but I do know you are walking on thin ice.

Just my opinion from what I've read in the posts.
Good luck though.

Back to Jason Newby issue. I'm sure I've bid on his domains and had him renew. It seems to happen alot. I've noticed something weird too that maybe some of you have come across. I've seen many whois with domains that are at Godaddy that look like employees. What I mean is that the domain is at Godaddy and owned by them, but there is a weird name attached to it in the whois. I don't have a domain example to link to, but I've see this alot on domains in the aftermarket.
I'm not sure if this is an internal way of knowing who is managing the domain at GD.

Godaddy will let Jason do what he is doing because he has so many domains there. Plus it brings attention to the other domains in the aftermarket. If you noticed a bunch of LL.com on the aftermarket site, you would look at those and the other domains around it in the listings. It brings traffic to the site.

Plus there may be domains that he doesn't renew if there is little interest in. In which case Godaddy wins for getting the auction fees. It's shady stuff yes. Illegal, no. Maybe one day this jerk will miss a renewal and you could end up with the domain. He's inventing the game, you have to play it.

•••
I have ended up with a few of his expiring names, so I still bid. I think I've sold 2 he had let drop for x,xxx. At least one I know for sure.

•••
I won about 15 auctions that all got renewed.

Wow, I feel for you.

What a bummer and a huge waste of valuable time.

If you spend as much time as I do trying to find decent names, this must really suck.

•••
same here that guy own all the good names on dynadot, some on godaddy too

•••
•••
Hi there, some help please for a newby. If I'm buying a domain from lets say Mr. Newby, what is the safest process to do it? Authorization Code and Paypal transfer? Help please... :)

•••
Using Escrow.com is the safest

•••
forget the guy's name, forget the emails, forget the stress and time wasted.
If I want to "buy' the dot com extension of my business name, and if I inquire about a domain and someone gives me a 1K quote, I jump on it and laugh every time I tell the story of my domain acquisition.

•••
Hi there, some help please for a newby. If I'm buying a domain from lets say Mr. Newby, what is the safest process to do it? Authorization Code and Paypal transfer? Help please... :)

I will second what @Shimmy said. Use Escow.com for the safest transactions.

•••
•••
•••
Wow. I had an interesting email conversation with Mr. Newby last week. He is squatting on the trademarked name of one of my businesses. I'm stuck using the plural variation of my business name as a domain name.
He seems to me a very sad angry man. I was very polite and professional and his email responses to me were angry, and defensive.
He attempted to extort me by offering to sell me the domain for $1,000 justifying his offer by telling me the legal process to get it would cost twice that.
He tried to get me to believe that he had intended to start a web design company with the domain name several years ago. LOL!

I don't know the person but when you own that many domains you tend to know a bit about domains and the problem is that the person is right in as much as it will probably cost twice what they want to go legal

And i reckon it's a way of seeing how much a person actually wants a domain

How many people will just think $1k is a fair price and solves a problem and gets them the domain they want

Quite a few I'd have thought

•••
Looks like he just hit a home run, KruegerGroup.com acquired it in 2016 sold for $20,000 on Friday I would imagine to the .net owner. The whois is Sedo transfer currently.

Last edited:
•••
I inquired him for a keyword + Z domain name, received reply with $25K price tag.

He owns 10K+ domains, I think he is selling five figure names regularly.

•••
Looks like he just hit a home run, KruegerGroup.com acquired it in 2016 sold for $20,000 on Friday I would imagine to the .net owner. The whois is Sedo transfer currently.

can we trust sedo?

•••
I wouldn't call $1k extortion. It seems like very little to pay to get your exact match domain name. Of course I don't know all the fiscal circumstances, and UDRP can be a lottery with a 1 person panel. But I would definitely buy the domain from him for $1k. Especially since you took the time to sign-up to NamePros and post this message.
It is extortion if the domain is trademarked.

•••
this guy may be an old man retired having fun with the domain business

managing 20,000 domain name show that he had enough cash to renew all these,
and that he had a lot of time to spare managing all these domains

if your portfolio grow, usually with experience you will go for the better domains, and manage a smaller portfolio

managing 200 six figure domain name vs 20k four figure ,
that's a no brainer for a domainer with deep pockets

Last edited:
•••
I want to thank all the contributors on this thread for sharing about the force of nature that is JasonNewby. I’m late the domain/auction game so when I engaged Jason last year over email in regards to a domain I needed for my new business, I thought his lack of response was because he just forgot about the domain and wasn’t available. Finally months later after more emails, he told me $10K in a short email. Now that I understand a little bit about the value system of domains that are dictionary words + letter, I get why he charged that right on the spot. Coming across the anecdotes from everyone is still a shock to my morning that this is how the system works.

To review, what is the recommended strategy to get domains from someone like Jason? I’m hearing that you wait for the domain to get close to expiration, visit an auction website like dynadot, win the auction, and then hope that they don’t remember to renew after you win?

Is there anything else?

Thanks in advance,

Gai

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back