IT.COM

I've been Scammed on Digital Point

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi guys,

I bought BetEstate.com for $110 from "Worldix" on Digital Point. I haven't received the site or domain and he was enquiring about what would happen if he had a negative balance and provided fake details which i didnt see before i sent the money

http://forums.DigitalPoint/showthread.php?t=585995

He claims his name is Marco Lombeli from Italy but id imagine he's set up a fake account and moved my money to E-gold or Moneybookers which he uses a lot. Ive started a claim which i should easily win but i dont think ill get the $110 back if he has used fake details and moved the money to another account? would i get it back? im really angry at this guy....

Email Addresses he uses

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Man im so angry! can the mods check if he has an account here or not?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
you know what i hate about persons dealing with new members.... for ex. Trader can be sometimes in aproppriate...first of all, what if the persons is a new member, he has 0 trading, and he wants to increase it. the on,y way he can do that is doing smth..and if people don't do it with him cause he has less than 10, then how will he manage it... I'm bot blaming anyone I'm just pointing out that some of the suggestions here are wrong

•••
exponent said:
What do you expect from over-seas mongrels? Most people realize that US customers have a fair bit of money (compared to other nations) and the dollar goes far overseas. Its not going to be easy to find someone in India, especially if they steal a few hundred or less.

I only do business with US clients because of this.

Oh and US customers don't scam people? Just because they have money doesn't mean they don't scam people. Wow you have the be a very ignorant person if that is your only reason behind dealing with US only clients.

DP has a ton of problems mainly because the owner doesn't give two sweet f***'s. If you are scammed try and deal with it outside of DP.

- Steve

•••
I agree with Steve... people have money, and they still scam people and I agree about the DP owner... he doesn't care about what;'s going on as long as he's making money

•••
exponent said:
What do you expect from over-seas mongrels? Most people realize that US customers have a fair bit of money (compared to other nations) and the dollar goes far overseas. Its not going to be easy to find someone in India, especially if they steal a few hundred or less.

I only do business with US clients because of this.

:o , why not limit only to Ohio or even better to your own County so that if you get scammed you can call the sheriff? :yell:

:'(

•••
lorenzo..I don't really agree with you...states have millions of citizens..tit's gonna take a long time to actually fnd him and get the moeny..you;'ll spend more on trying to get them

•••
Apparently they are cleaning house over at DP since Friday. No more VCC sales, no more adwords voucher sales, no more money exchanges and I guess they may take out the stumble/digg exchanges as well. They also said they will be closing the threads that relate to the things banned. And possibly removing the threads as well. But they still are doing more revamping of things and just have to wait to see.

Read here throught the link
http://forums.DigitalPoint/showthread.php?t=658479

•••
still, they have a long way till they reach namepros...it's much more cleaner here

•••
vladut said:
still, they have a long way till they reach namepros...it's much more cleaner here

Both DP and NP opened their forums about the same year. NP about 2003 and I believe DP was about 2004. Both forums are different in what they talk about. Here NP is primarily domains. DP is webmaster, affiliate marketing, content writing, politics and religion, SEO, Search Engines, business. So it is hard to compare really if you think about it. Besides DP has more users than NP. I think it is because the difference each forum has.

DP has
Members: 131,229

NP has
Registered Members: 79,248

And I remember DP with a great reputation and very few scammers. Or until recently had just masses amount of people who thought they could get in and scam with such deals as VCC sales and money laundering ideas such as money exchanging. DP still has a great reputation. As well as NP

Last edited:
•••
vladut said:
lorenzo..I don't really agree with you...states have millions of citizens..tit's gonna take a long time to actually fnd him and get the moeny..you;'ll spend more on trying to get them

I wrote County NOT Country.

•••
sorry lorenzo...my fault

•••
Hi,

Yes, I noticed lots of scamming going on at DP. I've done a couple of low-cost transactions that have worked out. My procedure is:

1) Request more information and see how the seller responds
2) Look at all of the previous offers by the seller and how they turned out
3) Wait for references
4) Look at the previous posts of the references and how those turned out. Is the reference reliable?
5) Give it more time for more feedback. Often the scammer will start of strong, collect lots of money, and then run tail.
6) If all looks legitimate, I give it a try. But I start out small to see what kind of relationship develops.

There are scams all over the world. People in the U.S, Europe, and Asia have been scammed out of hundreds of billions of dollars on the stock market (ritualized gambling) and the housing market. Greed has really gone beserk, and no where is there a safe haven. The $110 is regretful, but everyone has been scammed in their life. I lost thousands of dollars playing the Options Market early in my life - and it was a GREAT LESSON. Saved me tens of thousands of dollars later on in my life. I know lots of friends who are still getting scammed, and never learn their lesson.

You will recover the $110 many times over if you learn your lessons early in life. So don't be chagrined. We only learn from mistakes - just make them relatively small.

Good luck!

Rich

•••
Not trying to promote DP here in any way, but just a note in their defense, they have banned the selling of VCC's (virtual credit cards) which has been the back bone to many scammers. They have also banned money exchanging, which has been considered is some cases, to be the same as money laundering and also an easy way to get scammed. They have also promised more changes. All this is to help rid the forum of scammers, and other illegal activities. Like i said I'm not trying to promote them, but at least they are making an effort to fix the issues that are causing a lot of problems.

•••
simplyg123 said:
Not trying to promote DP here in any way, but just a note in their defense, they have banned the selling of VCC's (virtual credit cards) which has been the back bone to many scammers. They have also banned money exchanging, which has been considered is some cases, to be the same as money laundering and also an easy way to get scammed. They have also promised more changes. All this is to help rid the forum of scammers, and other illegal activities. Like i said I'm not trying to promote them, but at least they are making an effort to fix the issues that are causing a lot of problems.

Yup mentioned that in my post(#81) but thanks for the update as well

lpstong said:
Apparently they are cleaning house over at DP since Friday. No more VCC sales, no more adwords voucher sales, no more money exchanges and I guess they may take out the stumble/digg exchanges as well. They also said they will be closing the threads that relate to the things banned. And possibly removing the threads as well. But they still are doing more revamping of things and just have to wait to see.

And the most recent changes are of no selling of these accounts,
User accounts" includes but is not limited to eBay accounts, Rapidshare accounts, PayPal accounts, user accounts on other forums, membership site accounts, AdWords/adCenter/Yahoo Panama accounts, e-mail accounts, MySpace accounts, Digg accounts and any other type of user account.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Done. DigitaPoint and PayPal have some scam going among each other. How do you report scammers to themselves? They are making too much money, which is why I closed my PayPal account, and will not do business on DigitalPoint anymore. I had no idea how much they endorse the scamming, until I witnessed it myself.

Rich

•••
richrf said:
Done. DigitaPoint and PayPal have some scam going among each other. How do you report scammers to themselves? They are making too much money, which is why I closed my PayPal account, and will not do business on DigitalPoint anymore. I had no idea how much they endorse the scamming, until I witnessed it myself.

Rich

Endorse Scamming?? They are banning every scammer that is proved to be one, and forbidding many services that enable scammers. What was your DP scam experience? And just out of curiosity, what your DP user name?

•••
simplyg123 said:
Endorse Scamming?? They are banning every scammer that is proved to be one, and forbidding many services that enable scammers. What was your DP scam experience? And just out of curiosity, what your DP user name?

Hi,

In my situation, I purchased a script that was being advertised for quite a while. After I, and others, purchased it, the original author came on the DP forum and questioned the authority of the seller to sell the script which he claimed was his.

The original author was promptly banned and all of his comments were stripped from DP forum. However, there were discussions on TalkFreelance and his own forum that I could follow.

On TalkFreelance, I requested and received portions of his original script, which I compared to the script that I had purchased. The code was exactly the same, except for some comments. Since the original author had been selling the product for several years and had a well established site with users, it certainly appeared that his script pre-dated the seller's which was a messy, quickly fabricated site.

When I posted my findings on DP, my comments were quickly deleted and I received an infraction. To this day, I still do not know why I received an infraction, since I never received any kind of reply from any of the DP forum moderators on any of these activities.

In any case, the script thread was finally closed. But not after many people, even after me, were scammed, since DP did not allow any postings that might indicate that something fishy was going on. To me, it all fell surreal.

Rich

•••
simplyg123 said:
Endorse Scamming?? They are banning every scammer that is proved to be one, and forbidding many services that enable scammers.
That's not true. You will receive an infraction if you try to report scammers by making threads like this one.

•••
SoKickIt said:
That's not true. You will receive an infraction if you try to report scammers by making threads like this one.

Yes. This is exactly what happened. Both DP and PayPal work side by side to help hide scammers. The only ones who got infractions in my situation were the original author and those who tried to report on their findings. It was quite incredible.

Rich

•••
SoKickIt said:

Its in DP's rules that they will not involve themselves with user disputes, however they do allow you to post about the scammer, they may or may not infract you, depends on the case i assume. Notice the threads below, thread after thread, of scammers being reported. Granted some threads were locked, but if DP was covering up for scammers, would they delete these threads?

Scammer Threads http://forums.DigitalPoint/search.php?searchid=10960602

•••
simplyg123 said:
Its in DP's rules that they will not involve themselves with user disputes, however they do allow you to post about the scammer, they may or may not infract you, depends on the case i assume. Notice the threads below, thread after thread, of scammers being reported. Granted some threads were locked, but if DP was covering up for scammers, would they delete these threads?

I'm not saying they're helping scammers. They just won't do anything about them, they won't ban them. They'll just tell you to leave a negative iTrader. Of course, you'll get the same thing from the scammer so you'll get scammed AND ruin your reputation just cause "they will not involve themselves with user disputes".

•••
lpstong said:

Too little too late :imho:

•••
SoKickIt said:
I'm not saying they're helping scammers. They just won't do anything about them, they won't ban them. They'll just tell you to leave a negative iTrader. Of course, you'll get the same thing from the scammer so you'll get scammed AND ruin your reputation just cause "they will not involve themselves with user disputes".
Well DP is an amazing resource for webmasters, and most instances of scamming can be prevented with a few common sense measures. Most of the people being scammed, were a bit naive, or were dealing with something they had no business dealing with in the first place. I have personally seen DP ban Scammers. They do it on their own terms. If you dont want to be scammed, simply dont put yourself in the position to. DP should not have to babysit, it is a public forum with thousands of users. Most of which (like me) manage to not get scammed.

•••
simplyg123 said:
Well DP is an amazing resource for webmasters, and most instances of scamming can be prevented with a few common sense measures. Most of the people being scammed, were a bit naive, or were dealing with something they had no business dealing with in the first place. I have personally seen DP ban Scammers. They do it on their own terms. If you dont want to be scammed, simply dont put yourself in the position to. DP should not have to babysit, it is a public forum with thousands of users. Most of which (like me) manage to not get scammed.

Wow....I'd like to see how "naive ' you are when you do get scammed the way we did! To say those who were recently scammed were naive is absolute crap!! I was one of those scammed. The person I dealt with had hacked a genuine users account, I believed I was dealing with the user who had an excellent trader rating. I checked his rating and some of the comments made about him before dealing with him. There was absolutely no reason to believe I was going to get scammed. Everything seemed okay during the transaction...The guy even asked me to send a trader rating and he would do the same for me!

What is naive about that? There was no way to stop this person until it was too late and he reversed the paypal payments. That my friend is why so many of us got scammed...NOT naivety!

•••
simplyg123 said:

If I was the original author of the script that I purchased, I would have called my lawyer immediately and sued for damages. The law is pretty clear. If a website is ignoring warnings of piracy, they can be sued. In this case, DP was not only aware of the piracy - I provided them proof - but they were safeguarding the piracy, by deleting all warnings, and banning the original author as well as giving infractions to anyone who alerted the forum to the pirated software. Ditto for PayPal. I was totally blown away.

Rich

Joseph said:
Too little too late :imho:

I agree. My guess is that they are getting some legal advice.

Rich

simplyg123 said:

You are missing the point entirely. One of the ways to avoid pirated software is to rely on other forum members to alert you. DP went out of their way to delete all warnings. Up until my own experiences, I had no idea that DP would have the chutzbah to do it. Mostly because it would open them up to legal issues.

Rich

Len said:
Wow....I'd like to see how "naive ' you are when you do get scammed the way we did! To say those who were recently scammed were naive is absolute crap!! I was one of those scammed. The person I dealt with had hacked a genuine users account, I believed I was dealing with the user who had an excellent trader rating. I checked his rating and some of the comments made about him before dealing with him. There was absolutely no reason to believe I was going to get scammed. Everything seemed okay during the transaction...The guy even asked me to send a trader rating and he would do the same for me!

What is naive about that? There was no way to stop this person until it was too late and he reversed the paypal payments. That my friend is why so many of us got scammed...NOT naivety!

Absolutely right on. By deleting all warnings, DP gives the scammers enough time to clear their payments and get away with it. PayPal goes along. It's all about money, and it will only end with serious legal action against all those involved.

Rich

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back