IT.COM

It is resonable pay in second highest bid price if the highest bidder unpaid

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

70ym

Established Member
Impact
Recently I bid on a kind of domain in @Dynadot expired auction. It has many unpaid highest bider, maybe only for the type of domain I bid, and I was the second higher bidder.
Then I will ask to pay for auction in second highest bid price.
I think it is unresonable because if the unpaid bider did not bid on this domain, the price will be much cheaper.
I think it is more reasonable that ask the second highest bidder pay for the auction in the third highest price.

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Fair would be to charge what the second highest bidder would have bid to had the highest bidder not taken part. I don't think I'd pay any more than that but it depends how much you want the name.

Bidder 1 - 10
You - 20
Bidder 3 - 30
You - 40
Bidder 3 - 50

So you'd pay 20.

•••
Fair would be to charge what the second highest bidder would have bid to had the highest bidder not taken part. I don't think I'd pay any more than that but it depends how much you want the name.

Bidder 1 - 10
You - 20
Bidder 3 - 30
You - 40
Bidder 3 - 50

So you'd pay 20.

Yes, I think this is the fair price.

•••
Thank you for tagging us, we do understand your concern regarding the order cost when the highest bidder has not paid. If you were to email our account managers at [email protected] they would be able to investigate the auction and check for shill bidding. If the other bidder was a shill bidder then we should be able to adjust the cost of your order by removing the shill bids.

•••
Thank you for tagging us, we do understand your concern regarding the order cost when the highest bidder has not paid. If you were to email our account managers at [email protected] they would be able to investigate the auction and check for shill bidding. If the other bidder was a shill bidder then we should be able to adjust the cost of your order by removing the shill bids.
How you define shill bids? I think all the unpaid bider are shill bid, and I will not pay for any second highest bid.

•••
How you define shill bids? I think all the unpaid bider are shill bid, and I will not pay for any second highest bid.

I've had a problem with this as well when the auction reaches $100+ and it is just me and another bidder after a certain point and they don't pay. (Admittedly, I've also been a non-paying bidder because I've missed the 48 hour time limit, so it can definitely be a legitimate situation where the winner forgot).

But on the other side of this, I understand Dynadot has to protect their position, because if someone got their friend to bid up an auction with them from $20 to $300, then their friend doesn't pay, they would get the domain for only $20, which might not have been the case if others saw that the auction was ending at only $20. Even in legitimate situations where the winner forgets to pay, the winner no longer has the option to buy once the 48 hours has passed, so many times the winning bidder is still willing to pay, but no longer has the option.

I've been a heavy auction user for several years. It would be a huge improvement if it were like godaddy where I get the time expired email and then have until the end of the day to complete the payment without penalty. That would have saved me from 100% of my missed payments.

•••
We would class a non-paying bidder as a shill bidder if they appeared to be bidding up auctions with no intention of paying, if our team believed the non-paying bidder to be a genuine bidder that had missed the payment deadline then we would not class that as shill bidding.

•••
This is still an issue. I was the second highest (and only other) bidder in an auction. I bid first and went head to head to around $110 before I backed out. The other bidder didn't pay and I was given the option to buy... at $100!! If anything this just makes it look like someone shilling for Dyna. The price should be the 1st bid in this senario.

•••
Back