Dynadot

discuss It has come to my attention

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Want2learn

Top Member
Impact
The consensus is stop hand registering names! I just read 99% of hand regs are worthless. Even if that is hyperbole, the broader point is most are not valuable. I have no issues with that sentiment or opinion. I probably would agree that hand regs from recent times are not all that valuable!

I wanted to start a discussion though about the topic. I am about 7g in. Not all hand regs!! That is a lot of money. If I could go back to 12/04/16 I would have bought 10 names or so from aftermarket! Fortunately I am an educator so my livelihood does not depend on this. From my perspective, I made several critical mistakes early on. I will say I registered for 2 years almost 100 domains. I probably added privacy to about 50-75 of them. That alone is probably close to an additional 1100ish dollars. Complete waste. As a newbie then and now, it does irk me that GoDaddy would allow me to register names that are clearly trademark concerns, though I had no idea that was an issue with domains . . . And then when I go to list them for sale they reject them bc of trademark concerns. GoDaddy is wrong for that.

If I posted my domains today, regardless of what you think . . .they would be 100x worse without you all here at NamePros, and that is a fact! I can't go back I can only go forward. I can learn from my mistakes. I will say this, and I mean no disrespect to the Pros that do this well and make money. No disrespect to anyone, but especially those Pros. I think that some times there is a lack of imagination and creativity here. And by here, I mean with domainers broadly. I have some terrible names. Where I probably differ with most here, is I see a lot of improvement in my names. If I mess up and hand reg 100 names and they all suck, like really suck, that is a loss of $599 with eWallhost. That isn't nothing! If I take that same $599, I can buy 1-2 nice 4L. And they are liquid, so lets say I purchased 2 4Ls for 599, I think chances are a year from then I am safely in the 500-600 range minimum. So it is either no loss or -100 . . . and in year 2 it is $12 to renew! With those hand regs worse case scenario that is realistic is they all drop and I'm out 599. That is a big hit. And if say 20 are decent now, 80 drop and renew 20 at 120, so I'm 719 in. Since Im completely speculating here I won't say 20 sold for 100 and I live happily ever after. Lets say 5 sell for 100 a piece. That almost recoups first year.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that at the least that has been my thought process. So like last night I was excited as hell to reg BikeCosts.com. I could not believe it was available. I picked up a few other bike related domains. Shocked. Today I picked up cash4smartphones.com. Im not saying I am selling all of these for XXXX or even high XXX. And maybe for you all, it isn't worth your time if you can't make XXXX or XXXXX on a domain. For me I would be disappointed for 1XX for the domains I mentioned above. I think 4-5XX is where I feel like a success on those specific names. 3xx eh. less than 3xx, still a profit, but disappointed!

Have I made sense, even if you think Im nuts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
It could be as a result of name creation date reset

Don't mean that. If it is already re-registered as hand reg and not a catch, it is out of dropcatch, as they catch the ones that expired and put it in auction if there were 1+ backorders on it.

•••
•••
Hand registered domains are pretty much all I buy. Every domain starts there and people let domains drop all the time. Expired lists do have good keyword phrases in them and do get type ins. It all depends on if you know how to utilize the domain name to make the most out of it. Not every domain fits a sale. That's why learning multiple aspects to domaining is very important when coming to making the most overall profit with your investments.

•••
Cofveve is definitely a true hand reg. Never been registered before.

•••
•••
Perfect example of how trends also come to play in this.
This could get really interesting and messy. Someone else (other than the domain registrant) has recently applied for a US trademark.

•••
This could get really interesting and messy. Someone else (other than the domain registrant) has recently applied for a US trademark.
That's a bad faith and fraud

•••
Hand registered domains are pretty much all I buy. Every domain starts there and people let domains drop all the time. Expired lists do have good keyword phrases in them and do get type ins. It all depends on if you know how to utilize the domain name to make the most out of it. Not every domain fits a sale. That's why learning multiple aspects to domaining is very important when coming to making the most overall profit with your investments.
I agree!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back