IT.COM

discuss .IT General discussion and showcase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

paolinope29

RENAME.IT - Improve your business, rename it!Established Member
Impact
Hi NP! :)

I have been active for many years on the Italian market domains. If you have questions and technical curiosity, I hope to help you, just ask!

Have you ever invested in the Italian market? Do you have any domain? How many?

Showcase your names if you want! :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Oh, hello fellow italian domainers ;) i'm italian too.
I agree with @paolinope29 and @pablohc86, the biggest issue here is the lack of internet culture, especially in center-south Italy (something like 30M of people). I'm from Sicily, and i have to face it every day, even if domaining is not my main job, more like a hobby.

I have a partnership with some web and social media agencies (i'm also a photographer) and since they know about my 10 years old domaining experience, sometimes they ask me for a consultation to help them to find the right domain / domains for their clients.
Anytime i provide them a short list with 2-3 $xxx or $x,xxx priced domain names, with my opinion about the offer to make, 2-3 $xx or low $xxx domain names, and 1-2 available crappy domain names.
The clients ALWAYS decide about the available ones.

One of the last times was incredible.
They asked me to help with a grocery store owner, he hired them to create a e-commerce website to start selling foods and beverages online, through the city (while this is quite common elsewhere, it's extremely rare in Italy yet). The name of this grocery store is an italian common word.

I ended up with a list of good .it domains between low and mid $xxx and only ONE long (34 letters, seriously), crappy, hyphenated domain names available for registration, i added it on the list because i just wanted them to understand if you're paying high $x,xxx (yes!) for a e-commerce and social media project, you HAVE to include at least $xxx in the budget for the domain name. I was extremely sure they would never picked up the long crappy and reg fee domain name.

Well, guess which domain names they choose?

•••
Sad but true.... :D

We only hope in the future, now is time to invest, really hard to sell and make money. But we have to fill this lack of culture and infrastructures...

•••
•••
He doesn't know what SEO means!

•••
Maybe they thought it was good for SEO to have a keyword-rich domain ?

The SEO consultant has strictly suggested to the client to use one of the other domains, even because it's not that important as much as the branding of the small store.
If you, Kate, were the owner of this grocery store and were investing high $x,xxx for a e-commerce site and a re-style of the brand, which name would you pick up?
- GroceryStoreKate.com at $500
- GroceryStoreKateOnline.com $150
- GroceryStoreKate-BuyFoodsOnline.com $reg fee.

I think i'm pretty sure about your choice.

Now there are billboards through my city with a big advertising and the ridicolous long website link below.

•••
90% of Italian people think that money spent for advertising are money wasted.
Domains for them are not a marketing tool, just an address.
Mostly of the times business owners use a Gmail address for their business also if they have a domain.

•••
I agree... :) but this makes me think that it's time to buy and invest....... :)

•••
Only advanced users use Gmail addresses, most of them use old fashioned ones like "virgilio.it" or even "iol.it" , seriously, very old email providers (like late 90s).
Few years ago i worked with an ad company, they were doing some kind of local TripAdvisor clone website and hired some photographers to go to restaurants, pubs and hotels all over the city and take some pictures.
Since, in the meantime, i was also starting a web-agency (which i left for some reason and now it's the one that asks me domain advices), i used to investigate about the web-presence of the restaurants, hotels, bed&breakfasts i was sent to, and half of them never had a website or a social page.
Then i used to offer them (after few days) a complete pack with domain+website+social media for 3 months, through my web-agency, at promotional rates: we talk about $500, not more.

We got 2 clients. Of 46. And had to remove the social media part, for a huge discount.

This is how italians consider internet, social media and web-presence. Even if they're the first country in Europe for smartphones per capita.
Now everything is slowly changing, it looks like some of them are starting to understand how important is the BRAND and especially the social media presence, but they're still underestimating all this A LOT.

•••
Yup I mentioned Gmail for mention a free service :)

•••
Thanks for sharing.

I assume hyphens are bad in Italian? :)

Oh, hello fellow italian domainers ;) i'm italian too.
I agree with @paolinope29 and @pablohc86, the biggest issue here is the lack of internet culture, especially in center-south Italy (something like 30M of people). I'm from Sicily, and i have to face it every day, even if domaining is not my main job, more like a hobby.

I have a partnership with some web and social media agencies (i'm also a photographer) and since they know about my 10 years old domaining experience, sometimes they ask me for a consultation to help them to find the right domain / domains for their clients.
Anytime i provide them a short list with 2-3 $xxx or $x,xxx priced domain names, with my opinion about the offer to make, 2-3 $xx or low $xxx domain names, and 1-2 available crappy domain names.
The clients ALWAYS decide about the available ones.

One of the last times was incredible.
They asked me to help with a grocery store owner, he hired them to create a e-commerce website to start selling foods and beverages online, through the city (while this is quite common elsewhere, it's extremely rare in Italy yet). The name of this grocery store is an italian common word.

I ended up with a list of good .it domains between low and mid $xxx and only ONE long (34 letters, seriously), crappy, hyphenated domain names available for registration, i added it on the list because i just wanted them to understand if you're paying high $x,xxx (yes!) for a e-commerce and social media project, you HAVE to include at least $xxx in the budget for the domain name. I was extremely sure they would never picked up the long crappy and reg fee domain name.

Well, guess which domain names they choose?

•••
sale today on namebio - not mine

flaconi.it 2,800 USD 2016-10-04 Sedo

•••
Thanks for sharing.

I assume hyphens are bad in Italian? :)

Same as in the US. They're not extremely bad, but it's recommended to not use them.

•••
Same as in the US. They're not extremely bad, but it's recommended to not use them.
About hyphens I would say that Italy is more closer to German mentality than us. Names without hypens are preferred but hypen is remembered in Italy and liked too

•••
I agree... :) but this makes me think that it's time to buy and invest....... :)
I'm more comfortable to invest in .io than in .it
Is it so evident that I dislike Italy? XD

•••
As in all the world, in Italy hypens are not a good thing for a brand..

•••
•••
•••
I'm wondering: why Barletta and not a place easier to reach from many parts of Italy? (Barletta is in south-east Italy, and center-south Italy doesn't have efficient transport infrastructure.

•••
I'm wondering: why Barletta and not a place easier to reach from many parts of Italy? (Barletta is in south-east Italy, and center-south Italy doesn't have efficient transport infrastructure.
especially Barletta...
nothing about that town but if would have been also Lecce or another one with the airport could have been more easy to reach (always talking about the south)

•••
•••
Barletta??? For real??? I can't believe it...
Events like this they should get them in Milan, the technological capital of Italy.
Not in Barletta... LOL

•••
  • Casadiriposo.it - $7,381
  • Creditoitalia.it - $2,649
  • Trips.it - $10,901
  • Kickz.it - $2,695
  • Compa.it - $1,574
  • Cee.it - $1,376
  • Sportello.it - $1,277
  • Flaconi.it - $2,800
  • Aiot.it - $729
  • Adulti.it - $2,249
  • Uccelli.it - $2,677
  • Uomini.it - $558
  • InsertCoin.it - $339
  • EzTrader.it - $8,688
  • Sienergia.it - $365

•••
  • Adulti.it - $2,249
  • Uomini.it - $558

Adulti.it = only $2,249 :-D
Men.com sold for $1.300.000 in 2000 and Uomini.it sold for $558... :-D

•••
For uomini i offered really more, but the seller rejected and few days later he sold it at less!! LOOOL

Last edited:
•••
For uomini i offered really more, but the seller rejected and few days later he sold it at less!! LOOOL
When you see $558 you understand that the seller is stupid...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back