Dynadot

opinion Is this a good plan to sell my 120 domain name portfolio?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

d-maven

Upgraded Member
Impact
Hi Domain Peeps,

Need your help in determining if the following plan is a good one to avoid BS Godaddy fees (ie. 15% + $1000+ for sales above $5k., etc.)

PLAN:
Keep registration with GD (I belong to their domain discount club - so I do save money there)
Point DN servers to SEDO
Use parking pages / domain name landing pages for free
Put all domains up for auction and only have to pay 15% fee to SEDO
Use Escrow.com for payment (Wire)
Transfer via Godaddy

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Thanks in Advance! Mel

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I believe GD are losing their tiered system and moving to a flat 15% at the start of Feb for any names sold on a GD platform using GD DNS.

•••
Oh ok, that's good to know. Thanks for sharing!

•••
Oh ok, that's good to know. Thanks for sharing!
Be aware that any names sold on through one of their systems (GD, Dan, Uniregistry, Afyernic etc) that isn't using their DNS will incur a hight commission (25% I believe) so you right to weigh up your options.

•••
•••
Doesn't the Sedo auction require a $59 set up fee up front? Are you willing to pay that along with the 15% commission?

There other auction, where you don't have to pay an upfront fee, requires that someone first places a bid on a "make offer" doman you put in their marketplace. Then, you can convert this to a 5-day auction. But, the one time I used that auction, there was extremely little activity it seemed on the very few domains listed. That one only requires the 15% commission.

So weigh your options carefully. Sav does offer an auction site, which I am currently testing out. Perhaps others can share their experiences with that. You do not have to use them as a registrar in order to list the names. There are various cautionary issues on Namepros about Sav, though, so you may want to do more research first.

•••
So for example. If I parked one on SEDO and sold it on (GD, Dan, Uniregistry, Afyernic etc), it would incur the 25% fee, correct?

•••
Same structures as mentioned in the Dan thread above will apply to all GD outlets. Good luck!

•••
So for example. If I parked one on SEDO and sold it on (GD, Dan, Uniregistry, Afyernic etc), it would incur the 25% fee, correct?
I believe so yes.

•••
If the fees are going to be 15% "flat fee" after Feb 1 at Godaddy, I will likely just leave them there.

•••
So then, where's the best place (most traffic?) to sell a domain with the llowest commissions/fees?

•••
I believe GD are losing their tiered system and moving to a flat 15% at the start of Feb for any names sold on a GD platform using GD DNS.

It's my understanding they must be ns5/ns6 Afternic landers.

•••
It's my understanding they must be ns5/ns6 Afternic landers.
Any Dan, Gd, AN or Uni nameservers will give the 15% I believe, even paid parking nameservers.

Screenshot_20230125_063349_Firefox.jpg

•••
Any Dan, Gd, AN or Uni nameservers will give the 15% I believe, even paid parking nameservers.

You're right. But I still get the feeling these tiered commission rates are going to create a big mess overall and unfortunately the ones feeling the $$$pain$$$ are going to be domain sellers.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back