IT.COM

Is this a fulltime job or hobby for you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi I am new here. Interesting foum and I am learning a lot of things I didn't know just by reading the posts.

I am just wondering, is domain registration/resale a fulltime job for people on this forum or more like a hobby that people engage in that they make a bit of money sometimes?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A hobby...but a well paying hobby :)

•••
A hobby which brings much misery. :(

•••
Originally posted by lotsofissues
A hobby which brings much misery. :(

Hahaha... that's classic!

Domain names aren't all that I do. It's only part of my entire business. And it's also a hobby.

:bah:

•••
It's my full time business, and I'm very bad at it, and don't make any money. I sold one domain this year for 1K, that's it, that paid for all my reg's last year. I'm going to start hitting the local business that don't have web sites, and see if I can pitch them into a site with a good name, now that everyone is out of business. My pitch will go something like this,

"Sir you can trust me, I'm looking out for your best interest, I'm not like those other guys, why this 25 thousand dollar investment will pay itself off in no time, your friends will be begging you for my number" Then I'll press my cell phone and say,"Oh hold on one second there Mr Pete, It's Ming Yukoi from Sony international, I have to take this. Hello Mr Yukoi, Mr Yukoi how many times do I have to say no, I'm not interested in running your western hemisphere operations, I'm busy with a client." That aught to close him for sure, (Tom Green in who fingered Freddy is my inspiration)

Then I pull out a plain 8 1/2/11 sheet of paper with the word Mafy.com (one of my dumb ass reg's) Gleam my pearly whites at him and say "Ta DAAA" I bring a few kiss ass's with me and they make all that HHHMMM noise and whisper how good it looks. I figure I can squeeze 4 of those in a day, and I'm going to start tomorrow, hell I'm going to grab my yellow pages and start cold calling right now!!!!!!!!

Thanks God My other business really works, cause this one doesn't

Don

And you know the web site and domain name are sold seperatly.

•••
Total hobby for me. Just for fun. Sick and twisted way of having fun I guess!

•••
For me it's a full time hobby. I never thought I would earn a liveing thru it - and was not disapointed :)

•••
I just got into... but I am only interested in buying domains that are listed in yahoo, google, or dmoz. I am looking to redirect the traffic. Of course if i buy one and someone offers me a proce I cant pass up.....

•••
It is a total hobby and cash outflow to date. In a way I am lucky, because if I started at the peak of the .COM bubble, I would have closed shop after losing all on the way down. Instead, only 5% of the regs (while learning) are a loss.

If market conditions soon improve as my psychic predicts :blink: , I will selling my bicycle and buying a Volvo.

Good luck,

•••
Mostly hobbies, unless you are a BIG BIG BIG company or something, lmao.

•••
an money grabbing hobby(well not as much as sheds) but sometimes are very enjoyable one..

•••
•••
Its a full time Hobby/Job for me, making a buck here and there but cant retire yet :)

Mike

•••
Welcome to nampros.

Im a newbie in this biz, so its just a hobby :)

•••
Originally posted by Tippy
Its a full time Hobby/Job for me, making a buck here and there but cant retire yet :)

Mike

Hope you'll be able to do that soon, though, Tippy! :lol:

•••
Hobby, i am about to break even after a couple months, I am pretty pleased.

Domains themselves are not the easiest way to make a living. You have to develop them I believe or buy traffic domains and earn money from PPC.

•••
•••
Very very few can actually make a living at this. I think you'll find the great majority of people either have a day job too or are living hand-to-mouth.

Have no delusions, it is practically impossible to walk into this business today and make a lot of money. Some will do better than others, but it is getting tougher all the time.

•••
It's a hobby for me, actually kinda somethin just for fun until later in life, then it could turn into a part-time job :D

•••
Only one small part of my total business

•••
Strictly a hobby :)

Last edited:
•••
hmm a hobby
since i have crapnames.com

but i do make ALL my money online
and its more than enough to live on ;)

Last edited:
•••
I would also call it a learning experience :D

•••
You can't earn enough off of a hosting company for a living...

•••
No job... could offer so much fun!

Definitely a fun hobby for me.... so far it's paid for it'self.. in regards too the cost for name registrations and the total revenue from sold domains..

When it becomes stress & "work".. then it becomes a "job"..
and that's when I'll throw in the towel..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back