IT.COM

Is there a way to know if a domain name is premium before dropcatching?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lord Antares

Top Member
Impact
Basically, can I know if a domain will be a premium name before dropcatching it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A premium name is a premium name, you just need to learn what makes a name premium first.

Is it a popular dictionary word .com
Is it a 3 letter .com
Is it a 3 number .com
Etc

Last edited:
•••
A premium name is a premium name, you just need to learn what makes a name premium first.

Is it a single popular dictionary word
Is it a 3 letter .com
Is it a 3 number .com
Etc

By that logic, I can just check an available name in an obscure TLD and if it's premium, that's also going to be premium, right?

Also, there are different prices for premium names.

•••
Nope, im referring to .com names, not obscure extensions. I've added .com to the top criteria for you. That's just 3, there are a lot of factors that make a domain premium. Search this forum, lots of threads on it.

Yes, there are lots of varying prices depending on how good the name is, check out namebio to see to see previous sales

Last edited:
•••
Let's say we're talking about .io or .co.uk

•••
•••
Basically, can I know if a domain will be a premium name before dropcatching it?
I was having same issue. I solved it by visiting GD apprasal page:

https://www.godaddy.com/domain-value-appraisal/

Type in the domain name and hit govalue.
With the estimated value, it will also show you whether the domain name is premium or not.
I'm not certain if this is the most sensible option, but it solved my problems for some .co domains I was interested in.

•••
It's called experience either get it or piss off :)

Thanks for the sharp-minded reply.

I was having same issue. I solved it by visiting GD apprasal page:

https://www.godaddy.com/domain-value-appraisal/

Type in the domain name and hit govalue.
With the estimated value, it will also show you whether the domain name is premium or not.
I'm not certain if this is the most sensible option, but it solved my problems for some .co domains I was interested in.

I tried the same thing but it doesn't work.

It doesn't show cars.com or cars.io as premium names.

•••
I tried the same thing but it doesn't work.
It doesn't show cars.com or cars.io as premium names.
It worked/works for .co domains.
Can't explain why

•••
The term "premium" in regards to domains has not been universally defined. It means different things to different people.

•••
The term "premium" in regards to domains has not been universally defined. It means different things to different people.

How about premium price for registration? That's pretty objective.

•••
Registration of .com, .TV, new gtld's? What registrar?

Registries and registrars all have their own definitions so confusion is often a result to the consumers.

•••
Registration of .com, .TV, new gtld's? What registrar?

Registries and registrars all have their own definitions so confusion is often a result to the consumers.

I checked a little bit and ALL names I checked were either premium at all registrars I checked or at none. I thought that then this must be determined by ICANN, rather than specific registrars.

If you have some info on that; any at all, I would appreciate it.

•••
•••
I checked a little bit and ALL names I checked were either premium at all registrars I checked or at none. I thought that then this must be determined by ICANN, rather than specific registrars.

If you have some info on that; any at all, I would appreciate it.
If you are speaking of New Gtld's the term "premium" is assigned by the Registry. The registrars will have different prices due to mark up with these "premium" names. If you are looking to know in advance (New Gtld's), a little trick (tool), is Mrdomain.com. Although, I have discovered discrepancies there, so further due diligence is often required.

Last edited:
•••
.io names will not be classified as premiums

•••
If .com says premium it's probably listed on Afternic by reseller and not actually premium

•••
By that logic, I can just check an available name in an obscure TLD and if it's premium, that's also going to be premium, right?
Also, there are different prices for premium names.

I. THE PAST
1/In the past the word "premium domain" meant a domain with high quality.
2/Sometimes it however it simply meant "a domain that is for sale by a certain sellingsystem", and is "called premium, suggesting it's a qualitydomain.
If you look at Dynadot for a certain domain. It will show available, and you will see the word "premium" before it, then you know this is a domain that is being sold by a person through this sellsystem. The renewalrate will be the normal renewalrate."
3/(1 Exception : .TV used in the past also the word "premium" domains like now some new registries do with NGTLD's.)

II. Since the new TLD's came, 5 years ago, a lot changed.

Suddenly several registries of domains in these extensions marked a domainname as "premium", and asked a higher price to register a specific domain (mostly a popular one), AND for those, also the renewalcost is the same higher 'premium'-price.
AND this is not all : Some registries mark a domainname as "premium" and ask a higher price then their usual domainprice to register, BUT to renew the domain, you only have to pay the usual renewalfee (so much lower then the premiumprice they asked to register) for their extensiondomains.

III. NOW : THIS practice MADE/MAKES EVERYTHING -or "a lot" MUCH MORE DIFFICULT.

Suddenly the name "premium domain" means something different then in the past, or better : it can mean several things or more several things then in the past.

To resolve the confusion now
some registrars (I think Dynadot, Name.com, Namecheap Porkbun; and some others) do the folllowing =>

The "premium domains" -like in the past- keep existing. So people want to sell via a sellsystem (via Afternic, Sedo a.o. I don't use the system for the moment), and their name in a search comes as "premium" at Dynadotsearch or other search (you pay premium price to buy, and after a year or sooner you can renew at normal price). You actually see the word "premium" in the result. And mostly (at the registrars I mentioned) you see "renews at .....". with a much lower amount to renew.

NOW : A SOLUTION FOR THE PROBLEM, about the word "PREMIUM" BY NEW REGISTRIES is that you put a word before the word "premium" => For domains that cost more to register then their normal registerfee, it is better to use
the word "REGISTRY PREMIUM" DOMAINS instead of "PREMIUM" DOMAINS.
In that case you know it is the registry that sells the domain via the registrar(s) to the registrants (= we/us).

Depending from registry to registry (or extention to extention) the RENEWALFEE for registry premium domains is the same as the high registry premium REGISTEREFEE
OR (for instance .co) the fee to register registry premium domains is a bit or more higher, but the renewalfee is the normal registrationfee.

WHAT ARE THE PROBLEMS COMING OUT OF THIS ?

1/One of the problems is that not all registrars publish in the results that it's registry premium, or don't show the full registrypremiumfee in the result, and the lower (or NOT LOWER) renewalfee.
2/Another problem is that the registries of new extentions doesn't call these domains "registry premium'-domains, but simply "premium domains".
THIS MAKES IT VERY CONFUSING .
3/In the whois it isn't mentioned if a domain is a registry premiumdomain. And ICANN didn't make a regulation (as far as I know) that forces registries to mention that in the whoisresults.

So if you want to buy a domain from another domainer
or see a domain in an auction, you DON'T KNOW if the RENEWALFEE will be a normal renewalfee for that extention, or a high price because it's a registrypremium renewal fee.

You can try the trick I mentioned in my earlier post at Dynadot if you want to buy a name and see what price the renewal will be.(what's usual the same price as the transferprice).
At some other registrars this trick will succeed also, so then you know it's a premium, because of the high price to transfer .

But sometimes you simply have to reach to the the registrar where the domain is registerred now (by phone and email) to ask.
And to be 100% sure, you can try to ask to the registry of that extention.

Most old extentions use the old method for nearly all their domains. But that's not aalways the case.
And we don't know what the future brings. Suddenly a registry of a certain extention can announce that they change something, and make domains that were in the past non-registry premium, suddenly registry premiums. This will usually only happen after the domain -if already registerred- has dropped.
Of course this is important to know also, certainly if you backorder a domain (!!!).

4/ There's a lot more to be said

1/for instance : registry premiums can differ 10 USD or even 50 USD depending on the registrar you use).

2/and also : BE VERY CAUTIOUS WITH REGISTRARS WHO DON'T MENTION if it is a registry premium domain. IT CAN BE THAT THEY PUT THE NORMAL PRICE, BUT IF YOU GO TO CHECKOUT SUDDENLY A PREMIUM FEE IS ADDED.
So BE VERY CAREFULL WITH SUCH REGISTRARS. And don't click too quick or don't take an automatic payment of everything you click and put in your box, without you seeing the price of that box, or your creditcard is charged a premium registration.

3/and also : Do know that some registrars like Dynadot, Godaddy a.o. have for several extentions a possibility that if you buy a domainname (register), you have 4 days or at most 5 days to "GRACE DELETE" the domain : then you get you money back and the domain comes available again. However there are limits at Dynadot for certain extentions, or you have to pay 1 or 2 $ per domain you grace delete, and some registrars (I should check to know how it is at Dynadot) that do grace delete but not for premium or registry premium domains.
And there are only SOME registrars who give grace deletion after registration, and those that do don't do that for all extentions.

So be very careful !! And : Come now and then certainly to this forum, because there are people that warn you here for certain things that change or have happened.

The last word is certainly not said in this matter.
Ciao, and have good festivities.

•••
I had hemp.cat and dropped it before the big cannabis fuss, now its a premium by 101domain standards. that's how. :(

hemp.cat
Your domain is available!
Premium name. What is this?

Last edited:
•••
I had hemp.cat and dropped it before the big cannabis fuss, now its a premium by 101domain standards. that's how. :(

hemp.cat

They label just about every name a premium, this is a long way from premium so you haven't lost out here, there are no gtlds that are premium names.

•••
I forgot something in my post : I referred to another post of mine, but that wasn't in this thread.
That was here =>
https://www.namepros.com/threads/i-use-this-tool.1008978/page-8#post-7038444

To know the pricing (renewals and if they are registry-premiums) the following is important to notice =>
You can take any domain, put it for transfer in Dynadot, put a fake auth-code and go to checkout and there before checkout I think, you will see how much it costs for transferring the domain. If this is very high, you may be quite certain that this is a register premium, that if you transfer + extra year, has a very high pricing. NOW : OF COURSE YOU DON'T click through, because the auth-code (if the domain isn't yours), will fail. But you can simply delete this from the checkoutmenu, so you don't have to pay it. But then you at least know if it's normal transferprice or registry-premium (high) tranferprice.
AND THAT GIVE YOU AN ESTIMATE WHAT IT WOULD COST TO ONLY RENEW THE DOMAIN (as a renewal of 1 year is included in tranferring).
(This doesn't succeed with domains that are registerred at Dynadot themselves, that are expired).

•••
I forgot something in my post : I referred to another post of mine, but that wasn't in this thread.
That was here =>
https://www.namepros.com/threads/i-use-this-tool.1008978/page-8#post-7038444

To know the pricing (renewals and if they are registry-premiums) the following is important to notice =>
You can take any domain, put it for transfer in Dynadot, put a fake auth-code and go to checkout and there before checkout I think, you will see how much it costs for transferring the domain. If this is very high, you may be quite certain that this is a register premium, that if you transfer + extra year, has a very high pricing. NOW : OF COURSE YOU DON'T click through, because the auth-code (if the domain isn't yours), will fail. But you can simply delete this from the checkoutmenu, so you don't have to pay it. But then you at least know if it's normal transferprice or registry-premium (high) tranferprice.
AND THAT GIVE YOU AN ESTIMATE WHAT IT WOULD COST TO ONLY RENEW THE DOMAIN (as a renewal of 1 year is included in tranferring).
(This doesn't succeed with domains that are registerred at Dynadot themselves, that are expired).

I saw thati n the thread. Thanks a lot though, for the previous post too. I forgot to reply to it. Lots of useful info on your part.

•••
Lots of "premium" domains are the one being sold in auctions. Afternic, uniregistry, sedo etc have partner registrars who show such domains as premium. They charge you buy now fee and then renewals are in regular prices..:)

•••
That's what I thought you meant at first was if the domain was premium renewal, I have yet to see a dropcatch service that will snipe up premium renewal domains that are above regular reg. pricing. However, if you mean to know if the domain is premium quality wise I'd say google.

•••

hemp.cat
Your domain is not premium by 101domain standards,it was registered by someone else and put on sale on Sedo,Afternic etc. by its new owner,you can see that by going to whois.com/whois/hemp.cat,it is registered with Netim.com on 2018-09-27

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back