Dynadot

Is there a limit on how long a new gTLD Registry can take back a domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Yong1

Established Member
Impact
Apparently new gTLD Registries can take names they want from you by claiming "to correct mistakes made by a registry operator or any registrar in connection with a domain name registration;"

That is what happened to M Berkens who got some .tube names that he registered taken back by the Registry.

Isnt there a time limit on how long a domain can be taken back?
Isnt this clause in their contract in contradiction to existing legal consumer rights?

I come to your store and buy something and then you say…oops… it wasnt for sale or it was for sale for a higher price… What if I used it already...There should be some time limit, no?

Happy to hear your thoughts!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is no limit that I am aware of. I know .ooo took back domains after several months.

•••
That doesnt make sense. What if you used the domain or sold it to someone else?

It cant be that they can use that pretext and just take it back whenever they want claiming they meant to keep it at a higher price or as a reserved domain.

•••
Isnt there a time limit on how long a domain can be taken back?

No.

Isnt this clause in their contract in contradiction to existing legal consumer rights?

No and you can thank ICANN for that.

I come to your store and buy something and then you say…oops… it wasnt for sale or it was for sale for a higher price… What if I used it already...There should be some time limit, no?

Domains are treated differently. You don't own a domain. The registry owns it and they lease it to you. You were never the owner in the first place.

•••
That is true that they least it to you. Nonetheless, a contract that contradicts certain laws is not binding.
Even though Donuts signed that they would not sue ICANN they are doing it and so did others.

So it might be that they can do this without any reasonable limit!

•••
Their is no clear policy on that. Each registry has policies favoring them-self. If they are going out of business they can stop services. However it normally doesn't happen.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back