IT.COM

Is Sedo's 10,000 Pricing Cap Outdated?

NameSilo
Watch

Should Sedo Change it's $10,000 Pricing Cap?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

When pricing your domains at Sedo without an appraisal you can only go as high as,
10,000 US
10,000 Euro
10,000 GBP

Are these pricing caps outdated?
Should Sedo allow a higher pricing caps Without an appraisal?

Godaddy allows you to set prices as high as $50,000

What is your opinion?

:$:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The cap is not seller-friendly. But remember Sedo is a business and cares more about steady and quick sales than irregular and slow sales

•••
Its been almost a year since I created this thread and of course nothing has changed.

Is there a Sedo rep here who can discuss this?

The $10k cap has been in affect for years and probably since Sedo's beginning, you would think it would have at least been adjusted over the years just to reflect the cost of inflation.

Any other opinions on this?

•••
Its been almost a year since I created this thread and of course nothing has changed.

Is there a Sedo rep here who can discuss this?

The $10k cap has been in affect for years and probably since Sedo's beginning, you would think it would have at least been adjusted over the years just to reflect the cost of inflation.

Any other opinions on this?

Sedo have been responding in the thread about their site re-design. Maybe the price ceilings need a re-design.

•••
Maybe it's Sedo that is outdated ;)
But I think what they want is avoid sellers like on Ebay, who list ridiculous crap domains at 7-figure prices. In fact, few domains are worth 10K anyway.

•••
I believe Afternic's buy now listing cap is $25,000. And that seems about right to me. I doubt many people / companies will add a domain to the cart and just check out at prices much above that.

$10,000 is too low a limit.

•••
I change it to pounds for that particular domain name. It brings the total to around $12450

It was way more before the brexit thing happened.

•••
the amount can be changed, if they agree it's worth more than $10K

but, then again..... you don't want every mo-fo putting $20k BINs , now do you?

imo....

•••

imo....

For a company that pushes buy it now so hard yeah. It's not their domain so the seller should have the right to do what they want.

•••
Perhaps @Sedo can chime in on this thread.

•••
I don't see a problem at Afternic with people pricing awful domains at $25,000.

•••

imo....
Well not every mo-fo puts $10k on ther BINs now so I think it will be ok.

•••
I have a some that domains on SEDO that have no limit as there automated at a price above $10,000, trouble is some of them are new gTLDs and in reality I can't get even a 4 figure sum for them.

•••
Totally. When you look at the sales prices Mike Mann gets it obvious it's way too limiting. (admittedly he is damn good)

Should be either $50k or unlimited.

•••
Hey all, thanks for your thoughts on this! I'll definitely bring this up, this is something we need to discuss internally. Thanks again!

•••
A few years ago when SEDO provided quarterly sales reports the median .Com sale on their platform was only $600. In ten years I have only had a small number of sales over $1500. Newbies need to realize that most end users are not interested in paying five figures for a domain. Regardless one solution for high end domains is to set the domain to Make Offer rather than BIN but set the minimum offer to $5000 or higher. Then if you get a $5000 offer you can still respond with your counter offer of whatever you hope to achieve with that domain.

The advantage of BIN prices is you do not waste time with lowball offers. However those lowball offers still confirm interest in your domain.

•••
A few years ago when SEDO provided quarterly sales reports the median .Com sale on their platform was only $600. In ten years I have only had a small number of sales over $1500. Newbies need to realize that most end users are not interested in paying five figures for a domain. Regardless one solution for high end domains is to set the domain to Make Offer rather than BIN but set the minimum offer to $5000 or higher. Then if you get a $5000 offer you can still respond with your counter offer of whatever you hope to achieve with that domain.

The advantage of BIN prices is you do not waste time with lowball offers. However those lowball offers still confirm interest in your domain.
Raising the Maximum Price Cap doesn't just effect the BIN prices but also effects the Asking Price/Make Offer price cap as well.
Its not all about the BIN price.

I have many domains that I want to change the Asking Price well above the 10,000 cap
You can still set your Minimum Bid to whatever you like starting at $90 to the maximum cap.

Yes I have domains that I want to list the BIN higher then 10,000 usd/bps/euro but I also have domains that I want the Asking Price to reflect what I believe the domain is worth. I can still negotiate price with a potential buyer.

Example: Asking $50,000 Minimum Offer $5000
This example shows the price I want but also shows I am open to negotiations, and at the same time keeps the bottom feeders away.

Last edited:
•••
Hey all, thanks for your thoughts on this! I'll definitely bring this up, this is something we need to discuss internally. Thanks again!
@Sedo

Thank you for entering this discussion.
I hope once a decision is made you will let us know the result.

•••
@Sedo
How are the discussions going on this?
Any decision yet?

•••
Hi there! Not yet. It's on our plate and we need to play through some scenarios. We totally see why it's worth talking about this topic. We're in the middle of the discussion, but can't promise when we'll have a decision.I'll let you know as soon as we have made one.

•••
•••
I always thought it was sedo's way to stop (or at least deter) dreamers listing garbage at silly prices.

Edit: should say even sillier prices

Last edited:
•••
I always thought it was sedo's way to stop (or at least deter) dreamers listing garbage at silly prices.

Edit: should say even sillier prices
I don't think it makes any difference if garbage is priced at $10k or $50k, its still garbage.

•••
•••
I voted unlimited.

I think it's up to the seller/lister to be realistic, though. Seeing some oddball personalities in this industry, it wouldn't surprise me to see someone listing domains for unreasonable or attention-seeking prices:

uselessdomain.com
$1,000,000,000.00
Buy it Now!
:wacky:

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back