IT.COM
NameSilo
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
So I watched this movie by Michael Moore. Did not know this came out last year in May 2020.

We've all seen the "save the Earth" propaganda.

With keywords like below.

Sustainable/sustainability
Green
Eco
Carbon emissions
Carbon Neutral
green house gases
Global Warming
Pollution

The solutions to "save the Earth" were in a "green" way

Solar Power
Wind Power

with the ultimate goal to eliminate coal use and reduce green house gases.

The Truth? on Cloudy or rainy days. Solar is not 100% efficient and at night? the efficiency is obviously ZERO.

On non-windy days wind power efficient is less to zero.

during down times both methods secretly will always have a connection to coal powered energy production.

or even LPG.

and then there is power generated from burning BIOMASS.

Biomass sounds pretty cool. And you tell someone "Biomass" most would never know it is the cutting down of forests to burn trees to produce power.

lol

So to prevent global warming? The solution is to cut down the forest and all the trees? and keep coal and LPG as a back up power source?
lol

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I agree.

Half the problem today is that we live in a disposable society. People buy cheap rubbish and have to keep replacing it every few years. It ends up as landfill.

IKEA is a major problem, as is the apparel and textile industry.

I've always kept old hardware, tools, furniture etc. When it does breakdown, I spend a bit of time and/or money on repairs.

I buy clothes from op-shops when I can. Jeans, coats, shirts etc.

I've never owned a car. I catch public transport.

I have been living this way for over 30-years. I make very little difference, but I feel better about my 'footprint'.

Good afternoon.

I love the principles by which you live your life. Every difference is at least a difference.

Even in the middle of a global damn panic humans may begin to realize that everything costs money and they may figure out that they'd like to keep more of it for nice things and therefore, they are more likely to cut back on stuff they don't really want or need. I don't see the point of rushing up the high street trying to enjoy a cup of tea or coffee. Why not just get up 5 minutes earlier and at least take the time to enjoy it properly and as you do so you can plan stuff. It's an old fashioned concept but it might just catch on....AGAIN lol!!!

•••
I'm not sure that anything of this importance can be supressed. Perhaps shelved for the time being, or stopped because it was a dead-end.

Can you give any examples?

Utility companies say profits diminish, so they increase customer surcharges:

How Utilities Are Fighting Back on Solar Power

https://www.consumerreports.org/energy-saving/how-utilities-are-fighting-back-on-solar-power/

However, it's not all bleak on the horizon:

Big Oil Is Investing Billions in Renewable Energy

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/06/04/big-oil-is-investing-billions-in-renewable-energy.aspx

Last edited:
•••
Wow! This thread shows how far behind science our "news" media have trailed the relatively recent known, scientifically proven, facts.

is one hell of a case in point. No there is absolutely no need to go back to burning coal.

Firstly the carbon problem and where to put it. Here I loosely cite Walter Jehne, the greatest authority I know on the topic. The greatest carbon sink we have is soil. By getting carbon back into what is now desert, which we have created over millennia, or in the North American case what we have turned the great plains into in a few short years, we recreate soil and reconstruct productive land.

Here's a good simple 20 minute TED talk by way of intro, if this system allows me to add a non-domaining link: https://www.ted.com/talks/allan_savory_how_to_fight_desertification_and_reverse_climate_change - the talk is done by Allan Savory but the proof that the carbon cycle is actually a function of the earth's hydrological cycle is Jehne's. His lectures and papers are much longer and more complex.

Secondly, if Covid has done nothing else positive it has shown dramatically in a breathtakingly short time that if we reduce fossil fuel use the environment is largely capable of cleaning itself up. Which is the second element of rebalancing the environment via the atmosphere.

Wood is mostly carbon. Burning it sends carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Arguments of taking it back out later are puerile. The problems are created by extraction of and burning of fossil fuels, especially spills and waste but any burning adds to the problems; and bare earth farming. Each time earth is tilled it allows masses of water vapour, carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere. It also destroys masses of microorganisms essential for plant growth and which also form the lowest element of the food chain for all life on earth.

There are no technological solutions. Every such idea I have heard mooted is pie in the sky. Watch that short, 20 minutes or so, TED talk and get a fuller grasp of what it is all about.

Good evening,

I live in Ireland and I'm glad to say that we're in the process of reversing hundreds if not thousands of years of digging up, drying and burning peat bogs. The State Agency responsible is current;y returning them slowly back to their original state and therefore all of the carbon that is stored can remain where it should be, namely six feet under. I've seem some areas already start to re-generate and Mother nature is doing her job.

It is a small step but it is a step in the right direction.

Even if we get to the end of this life and nothing changes at least we can say we did our bit. We just need 7.8 billion other people to also do their bit.

This is a topic for everyone not just domainers.

We is very much WOKE.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
@Reddstagg Yes, I've been reading about it. We're doing bits and pieces in England to restore wetlands, too, but on its own it's nowhere near enough. But there are moves on both sides of the Irish sea to improve agricultural practices, no soil disturbance to retain water and carbon in the soil, keeping the soil fertile and productive. I'm also cheered by the amount of effort going into restoring the Great Plains of the USA, desertified since WWII. Again, though, not enough momentum yet in any of those initiatives.

Where the greatest amount of effort is required is the almost incomprehensibly huge stretch of desert from the western tip of Africa, all the way through the Middle East to the Eastern tip of Asia, i.e. China. Warring factions, corrupt politics, idiotic jealousies (in modern terms) and vested interests are conspiring together to prevent genuine advances being made. And, incredibly, most of the disputes are over land.

That huge amount of desert could easily provide food for the world's population, locally to where it is most needed, as well as altering the climate back to more temperate and predictable levels. Curing the problem in North and Central Africa alone would stem the annual calamities of hurricanes across the Carribean seas and the USA.

Last edited:
•••
@Reddstagg Yes, I've been reading about it. We're doing bits and pieces in England to restore wetlands, too, but on its own it's nowhere near enough. But there are moves on both sides of the Irish sea to improve agricultural practices, no soil disturbance to retain water and carbon in the soil, keeping the soil fertile and productive. I'm also cheered by the amount of effort going into restoring the Great Plains of the USA, desertified since WWII. Again, though, not enough momentum yet in any of those initiatives.

Where the greatest amount of effort is required is the almost incomprehensibly huge stretch of desert from the western tip of Africa, all the way through the Middle East to the Eastern tip of Asia, i.e. China. Warring factions, corrupt politics, idiotic jealousies (in modern terms) and vested interests are conspiring together to prevent genuine advances being made. And, incredibly, most of the disputes are over land.

That huge amount of desert could easily provide food for the world's population, locally to where it is most needed, as well as altering the climate back to more temperate and predictable levels. Curing the problem in North and Central Africa alone would stem the annual calamities of hurricanes across the Carribean seas and the USA.

Good evening Mike,

I think it takes people of a certain age...cough...cough I'm 54 to have lived through many of the things that we have lived through and then when we get a little older and a little wiser we start to question ourselves and the world that we live in. I only bought one new piece of clothing in 2020 and I'm planning to go through the whole of 2021 without buying one single new piece of clothing or indeed shoes etc. I think I have enough already and I will just have to make do and mend.

We have achieved much already but there is still more to do. We have to just keep doing what we are doing and hope that it starts to rub off on those around us and eventually everyone will be doing their bit. Plastic food wrapping is my bug bear at the moment and I'm trying not to bring any into the house but during a pandemic with total lockdown it makes it harder than normal.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
I agree.

Half the problem today is that we live in a disposable society. People buy cheap rubbish and have to keep replacing it every few years. It ends up as landfill.

I've always kept old hardware, tools, furniture etc. When it does breakdown, I spend a bit of time and/or money on repairs.

I have been living this way for over 30-years. I make very little difference, but I feel better about my 'footprint'.

It's reassuring to witness many here who 'walk the talk'. Our consumer-based society has led the planet down a one-way street IMO. We've been conditioned that way. What if we actually gave back to the earth? What mind-reset would be required, and is it practical in a capitalist society, or even probable? Likely not, especially when the West demonstrates overt consumerism and encourages conspicuous consumption that developing countries will only emulate. With increasing population, higher living standards and lifestyles to match, are we merely prolonging the inevitable? At least in Canada there is a growing conscience, ie. banning single-use plastics, recycling etc., but still I find an absence of sincere dedication. So to answer the question, "is it a lie?" My reponse would be, "to thine own self be true".

Last edited:
•••
As much as we all want to care about the Environment, but in all honesty Humanity and the World would still be in peril even if the Environment was in perfect shape.

If we really want to save the World we need to address everything that is wrong with it at the same time and with the same intensity, because in addition to the problems that we are facing with the Environment there is also the risk of having a nuclear Armageddon and even if we manage to live in peace there is still the chance of having more devastating Pandemics in the future. And lets not forget about technologies such as AI and automation and nano, genetic, and quantum engineering which if not managed correctly each has the potential to change our lives for the worse. Even if we get all these things under control there are still the political, religious, and racial animosities that can derail our future, and when you add to that our endless love for money and power and our addiction to lust and greed which are amongst the many bad human characteristics that have shaped our civilization then it becomes clear that there is a lot more that we still need to get under control than just the Environment.

For this reason as intelligent being that we are supposed to be I propose that we need to stop dancing around these issues (like we have done for the past 50 years) and meet these problems and existential threats head on by creating a new global organization that can address all the threats to the future of Humanity and the World at the same time and find solutions that can be implemented quickly before we go past the point of no return on any of these fronts.

The same organization can also be put in charge of planning to prevent or minimize the impact and damage caused by natural and manmade disasters and events that might arise unexpectedly such as getting hit by a huge asteroid.

But creating such organization at the Global level requires that we as the Human Race ascend to a higher level of existence and thinking and thus it takes us back to what I said earlier in this post:

" We as the Human Race need to ascend to a new level of existence and thinking that allows us to find common grounds over the Universal Principles and Values that have been derived from Logic and Compassion and that is going to propel us in to a new Era of understanding and tolerance so that we can live in peace with our Environment and all the living things and entities on Earth and beyond.

We need to abandon all the outdated fanatical and extremist political, religious, racial, and economical ideologies, philosophies, and doctrines that have failed us and use all the resources and technologies at our disposal to find new ways of managing the World that would make it possible for us to put an end to all that has being ailing Humanity and our Home Planet and that can allow us to be able to live a righteous, productive, safe, happy, and healthy life. "

IMO

Last edited:
•••
That definitely puts things in perspective. It really is an existential question. If our lifespan was extended, or we lived forever, I'd be more confident that collectively we'd arrive at a solution. Just as politicians only have a limited term, so too the winds of change blow.

change-walls-windmill-quote.jpg

Last edited:
•••
@Reddstagg there is no need to give up on life's luxuries. As I have pointed out, there are sufficient resources to go round and we can all live well if, and it is a huge if, we use those resources wisely.

As I said in my earlier post, watching Savory's short TED talk opens the door to much wider understanding. His side of the overall research shows us that of the two fifths of the earth's surface not covered by the oceans, three fifths of that is now man-made desert. If we recover a proportion of that, by no means do we need to recover all (although that would reap massive benefits), we can live well.

@oldtimer repeats some of the obstructions I mooted in my earlier post. But as I said, most of the disputes, regional wars and jealousies are about land. Show people how to recover the land they already have in the form of desert and the arguments suddenly dissipate.

Plastic is quite another question. We have the wherewithall to recycle all plastics now. If only the idiots spending billions trying to reinvent the wheel would recognise what we already have and get on with the job we could get on top of it. That would also create one hell of a lot of desperately needed jobs around the world.

Last edited:
•••
It really is an existential question. If our lifespan was extended, or we lived forever, I'd be more confident that collectively we'd arrive at a solution.

I agree with you if we were still living in the last Century where all human advances had to take place incrementally.

But now that we live in 2021 with all the resources and technologies that are at our disposal and with having the ease of real time communications between people across the World such as what we see here on this forum and on the social media at large we can achieve in 5 years what might have taken us a few lifetimes to achieve in the past.

The key is creating awareness that goes beyond the select few people who might be concerned about Humanity and our Home Planet and expanding the conversation to get the ordinary people around the World involved in these discussions through education and mass media, same way that almost everyone around the World is now actively thinking and talking about the Pandemic.

I believe that if we set our mind to it we can start a 5 to 10 year program that is going to change the World for the better, provided that we are willing to take that first step of what I had mentioned before:

" We as the Human Race need to ascend to a new level of existence and thinking that allows us to find common grounds over the Universal Principles and Values that have been derived from Logic and Compassion and that is going to propel us in to a new Era of understanding and tolerance so that we can live in peace with our Environment and all the living things and entities on Earth and beyond.

We need to abandon all the outdated fanatical and extremist political, religious, racial, and economical ideologies, philosophies, and doctrines that have failed us and use all the resources and technologies at our disposal to find new ways of managing the World that would make it possible for us to put an end to all that has being ailing Humanity and our Home Planet and that can allow us to be able to live a righteous, productive, safe, happy, and healthy life. "

IMO

Last edited:
•••
•••
The key is creating awareness that goes beyond the select few people who might be concerned about Humanity and our Home Planet and expanding the conversation to get the ordinary people around the World involved in these discussions through education and mass media, same way that almost everyone around the World is now actively thinking and talking about the Pandemic.

I would argue that the argument needs to be taken in by those with the wealth and the power. The pandemic, if anything, has offered us the best opportunity we are ever likely to have before it is too late to do anything. The "man in the street" is not very good at organising. Reacting, usually in a way which will achieve absolutely nothing, and then only when it's too late, yes.

We need to change the dialogue and the narrative in the same way as those with influence do politically and economically, to everyone's disadvantage IMHO, every 35 to 50 years. The last time was 1979/1980, the election of Thatcher and Reagan ushering in the age of corporatism and neoliberal laissez-faire no rules thinking. We can do it. The question is, do we want to?

Last edited:
•••
Fifty countries join global coalition at One Planet Summit vowing to protect 30 per cent of land and sea by 2030

At least 50 countries committed to protecting 30 per cent of the planet, including land and sea, over the next decade to halt species extinction and address climate change issues, during a global summit aimed at protecting the world's biodiversity.

Key points:
  • France and the UK are spearheading efforts to protect at least 30 per cent of the planet by 2030
  • The World Economic Forum says environmental businesses could create 191 million jobs by then
  • Prince Charles launched an "urgent appeal" for private sector investment in environmental solutions
About 30 leaders, government officials and heads of international organisations participated in the One Planet Summit, which was being held by videoconference because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Top US officials were notably absent, as were the leaders of Russia, India and Brazil.

French President Emmanuel Macron announced that the High Ambition Coalition for Nature and People, which was launched in 2019 by Costa Rica, France and Britain to set a target of protecting at least 30 per cent of the planet by 2030, has now been joined by 50 countries.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01...-30-per-cent-of-land-and-sea-by-2030/13050048

Last edited:
•••
•••
Men are the earths greatest enemy. Evil hearts. Not carbon emissions.

•••
Because of human nature we are the enemy to the Earth

•••
•••
•••
My day job is water conservation. I run a rainwater products tanks gardening and water filtering equiptment store i am also a plumber.

•••
I agree.

Your such a hippy get a hair cut hehe. Even when he is balling he still goes to the opp shop and dresses as a million bucks anyway.

•••
My day job is water conservation. I run a rainwater products tanks gardening and water filtering equiptment store i am also a plumber.
Do tell me why I love Australia because I never been there ...:oooo

•••
Do tell me why I love Australia because I never been there ...:oooo
Damn hot that is why i like to play with water. Actually it has been coolest summer in memory and haven't been really fried this year. Usually would get burn't badly in one day.
I think we will be closing borders over covid for years here and control it. Travel industry is doomed and i am seeing domains dropping in industry it will be all local sooner or later.

•••
Damn hot that is why i like to play with water. Actually it has been coolest summer in memory and haven't been really fried this year. Usually would get burn't badly in one day.
I think we will be closing borders over covid for years here and control it. Travel industry is doomed and i am seeing domains dropping in industry it will be all local sooner or later.
No doubt Australia is an island on its own

•••
No doubt Australia is an island on its own
Yes but it is massive people think it is a small spot on map but get a globe and compare it. People drive across Europe in a day here you can drive for hours all day and not leave your state.

Last edited:
•••
Yes but it is massive people think it is a small spot on map but get a globe and compare it. People drive across Europe in a day here you can drive for hours all day and not leave your state.
I don’t know what map you are talking about because Australia is pretty big on the map lol ..it’s been overlooked that’s about it

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back