Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just getting the feeling of what members want.

so can you confirm if *you* post a sales thread and someone comes in and says... hey shit name would you be ok with this new openess?

I would absolutely be OK with that.

•••
Ok great and I hope you speak for the mass because if this is what you all really want.. then please do not send reported threads or pms to mods asking them to delete posts in our sales threads that say..

This name is crap

•••
For those of you requesting more transparency between Staff & Members, the following is a thread I closed, updated transparently, and left visible to serve as a test in transparency. This is what full transparency looks like, is this what you are wanting? http://www.namepros.com/domains-for-sale-make-offer/744015-union-ca.html

(Please note, the comments in the sales thread were left on purpose for this test, normally we remove them as they are not allowed as per the marketplace rules "All questions / comments should be sent via PM")

Eric Lyon
Member Services
Just a recap of the above Test... that goes with the below comments....

Now that is EXACTLY what I want from Namepros.

I've posted a thread or two that disappeared. No PM, no notice, nothing... it was just gone. I thought it was a glitch so I posted it again. This got me yelled at by a mod because I should "know better" and I should somehow just know to check the dead thread forum. I didn't know where these posts got moved to, there was no reference to it. Finally found the dead thread section buried in a sub-sub-forum waaaaay at the bottom of namepros.

That was just one of the issue I've had with the forum, which caused me to post here less and visit less. I even went so far as to set up my own forum.

Transparency is definitely a step in the right direction.
I can understand the frustration of not knowing what when where and why. Another option to openness is to have PM's automatically sent to users that had posts removed / deleted showing them the reason For comment. This would allow us to continue to prevent Thread crashing posts in your sales threads.

That comment would be deleted - not the whole thread, right?
In reference to a Thread crashing comments, I agree, those should continue to be removed.

It sounds good in theory to be ok with thread crashing comments, but I think once members get a potential buyer ready to spend the x,xxx and then change their mind at the last minute because someone just posted in the same thread about how the name is garbage & should only be worth xx & that the seller is unrealistic. That member may get a bit upset they lost the sale due to the comment. Don't you think?

Eric Lyon
Member Services

•••

so can you confirm if *you* post a sales thread and someone comes in and says... hey shit name would you be ok with this new openess?

This is a simple one. Let the person who starts the thread, decide that. I think it should be default, that kind of thing isn't allowed, in a sales thread, unless the thread starter is ok with it.

That kind of thing is fine in a thread where somebody asks for an opinion on a domain, such as the Domain Appraisals section.

And yes, of course, if a mod/admin deletes a thread/post, there should be a trail or the persons whose thread or post was deleted should be notified in some way. I had a few of my own vanish, with really no good reason/bad reason** and I had to ask about it. That's just basic common courtesy.

** accused of spamming as if I owned gizmodo
** accused of dropping affiliate links, when linking relevantly to Internet Retailer, when a) they don't have an affiliate program b) a mod should know what an affiliate link looks like

So yes, there is lots of room for improvement in the overmodding, posts vanishing, that happens sometimes. When you do stuff like that, it doesn't help the conversation, inspire people to post more, just the opposite.

Last edited:
•••
Ok great and I hope you speak for the mass because if this is what you all really want.. then please do not send reported threads or pms to mods asking them to delete posts in our sales threads that say..

This name is crap

It's still against the rules to post comments in sales threads.

I didn't see any problems during the special "anything goes" sale that went on here recently.

So yes, I really don't care. People posting comments just bump my sales threads, and I'm fine with that.

•••
Be careful what you wish for.. YES there is room to change, YES there are always things that can be done better but do you really want a free for all here..

I very much doubt it ...

•••
Be careful what you wish for.. YES there is room to change, YES there are always things that can be done better but do you really want a free for all here..

I very much doubt it ...

Which post was that in response too?

•••
Which post was that in response too?

No post in general just an observation of what a free for all forum would be ...

After a day or a week of free for all .. yes kinda fun, few upset .. few leave...a few may come back cos its now great ... who cares members can say what they want... after a month or so.. kinda getting boring now .... after 2 months who is gonna post a name for sale knowing the thread is gonna be filled with comment .. suck.. reg fee, who the f*k would buy that..

But it may be different you may all follow the rules and not post shit in others sales threads..

so why change the rules..

This is just for sales threads as I do feel these are serious places where people are trying to sell their names.. other areas could benifit from a more free environment :)

•••
"This is just for sales threads as I do feel these are serious places where people are trying to sell their names.. other areas could benifit from a more free environment"

That I agree with you 100%. Sales threads should be free of that kind of thing. If you have no interest in the domain, think it sucks, then don't bid on/buy the domain. Go be bored somewhere else. Those threads should be strictly business. Now if it's a thread asking for opinions, then expect opinions. Discussion threads, need to be more relaxed tho, there is some overmodding happening in those areas.

•••
Discussion threads, need to be more relaxed tho, there is some overmodding happening in those areas.
Can you PM me, someone else on member services, or an Admin with an example of that so we can look into it?

Alternately, you can start a thread Here that Only member Services & Admins have access to: http://www.namepros.com/contact-np-member-services/

Thanks,

Eric Lyon
Member Services

•••
wanted opions/apraisals I agree If they ask they should not be offended with the comments.... but I have had many whom think ALL threads (including sales) should be open to comment which is what I was saying above... No if someone is wanting to sell something I do not think their thread should be open to comments.

•••

so can you confirm if *you* post a sales thread and someone comes in and says... hey sh*t name would you be ok with this new openess?

THIS DOES NOT CONCERN SALES THREADS, BUT OTHERS THAT USE UNECESSARY VERBAGE TO "DISCUSS" DOMAIN NAMES...

...professionalism dictates that proper usage of language be utilized, so no, I would feel that using expletives per your example denigrates the thread as well as the forum as a whole.

There are a myriad of alternatives one can use to cast a negative opinion of a domain name without resorting to vulgarities...one should also explain the reasons that they do not like the name as well instead of a "rubber stamp" post that states their disapproval...

Last edited:
•••
...professionalism dictates that proper usage of language be utilized, so no, I would feel that using expletives per your example denigrates the thread as well as the forum as a whole.

There are a myriad of alternatives one can use to cast a negative opinion of a domain name without resorting to vulgarities...one should also explain the reasons that they do not like the name as well instead of a "rubber stamp" post that states their disapproval...

Agreed :) but do you think your average domainer would use such language?

•••
wanted opions/apraisals I agree If they ask they should not be offended with the comments.... but I have had many whom think ALL threads (including sales) should be open to comment which is what I was saying above... No if someone is wanting to sell something I do not think their thread should be open to comments.

...SALES ARE SALES...

That's about as open as you want it. Nobody needs to comment on someone selling their wares (unless there are SERIOUS TM problems, which I can't emphasize enough the forum has to keep an eye on. Makes a forum look bad...)

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Agreed :) but do you think your average domainer would use such language?

...I don't know why not. It's not hard and starts with understanding that we are all here for the same purpose of selling/buying and learning from all our collective experiences. It could be fun when you actually look at it that way...

•••
On another note....

I think RJ made an extremely wise decision in selling this forum.

The real problem is not the moderation but the changes taking place on the Internet in general. The art of Domaining is dying. I think in order for this forum to have any hope for long term survival and possible growth, it will need to expand into wider subject areas.

There are several possibilities, but it will obviously need to be "name" related.

Ideas: (aka possible forum areas)

- Personal names (first, last, history, meaning, popularity)
- Domain names (complete history of an extinct activity)
- Business names (discussion of business names, inc, co, corp)
- Pet names (history, meaning, cat names, dog names, fish names)

Basically the home page will show big buttons with entrances into each forum category. I foresee traffic and ad revenue quadrupling within 24 months.

Last edited:
•••
But when I asked.............

and lothos posts

You can see that some members want different things..

•••
I would be okay with that too. But that's only because I already know my names are shit. :tu: Well that and I think it'd be funny to make fun of newbies that post insane asking prices for crap domains. It's a good way to learn a lesson.

Yes, there are lots of crazy opinions on this forum.

•••
I would be okay with that too. But that's only because I already know my names are shit. :tu: Well that and I think it'd be funny to make fun of newbies that post insane asking prices for crap domains. It's a good way to learn a lesson.

Yes, there are lots of crazy opinions on this forum.

And they should be heard, like in the dot pro thread.

I vote for no comments in the sales threads.
\

•••
On another note....

I think RJ made an extremely wise decision in selling this forum.

The real problem is not the moderation but the changes taking place on the Internet in general. The art of Domaining is dying. I think in order for this forum to have any hope for long term survival and possible growth, it will need to expand into wider subject areas.

There are several possibilities, but it will obviously need to be "name" related.

Ideas: (aka possible forum areas)

- Personal names (first, last, history, meaning, popularity)
- Domain names (complete history of an extinct activity)
- Business names (discussion of business names, inc, co, corp)
- Pet names (history, meaning, cat names, dog names, fish names)

Basically the home page will show big buttons with entrances into each forum category. I foresee traffic and ad revenue quadrupling within 24 months.

I think the main focus should also move to development of our names into websites

Of course there should be no comments in sales threads ........ do you wanna start a war !

•••
Can you PM me, someone else on member services, or an Admin with an example of that so we can look into it?

Alternately, you can start a thread Here that Only member Services & Admins have access to: http://www.namepros.com/contact-np-member-services/

Thanks,

Eric Lyon
Member Services

Just look at my Ask A Mod threads. I touched on a couple of examples above. In the 3d thread, talking about 3d, I linked to a Gizmodo article talking about 3d - http://gizmodo.com/5536087/the-next-playboy-centerfold-will-be-in-3d

I got flagged for spamming for that, some of my first posts on this forum. I guess somebody had a problem with Gizmodo talking about Playboy or something but it was relevant to the discussion, there are no videos of people screwing on Gizmodo. And for me to be flagged for spamming, usually I would have to be connected to that site, Gizmodo, somehow. Not my site, obviously.

The other example I touched on was in the .co discussion thread. Somebody was talking about major merchants using .co. I pointed out the top 500 merchants aren't, the one that was, backed down from the extension. I linked to this page - http://www.internetretailer.com/top500/list/ so people could see, top merchants aren't using that extension. It was relevant to the conversation.

The post was removed, with somebody thinking I was dropping affiliate links.

That kind of thing. People having discussions (what a forum is for) and a mod coming in and removing posts for no good reason. There were no rules violations anywhere. There are more examples in the Ask A Mod forum, maybe the new owner can take a look.

Last edited:
•••
Just look at my Ask A Mod threads. I touched on a couple of examples above. In the 3d thread, talking about 3d, I linked to a Gizmodo article talking about 3d - http://gizmodo.com/5536087/the-next-playboy-centerfold-will-be-in-3d

I got flagged for spamming for that, some of my first posts on this forum. I guess somebody had a problem with Gizmodo talking about Playboy or something but it was relevant to the discussion, there are no videos of people screwing on Gizmodo. And for me to be flagged for spamming, usually I would have to be connected to that site, Gizmodo, somehow. Not my site, obviously.

The other example I touched on was in the .co discussion thread. Somebody was talking about major merchants using .co. I pointed out the top 500 merchants aren't, the one that was, backed down from the extension. I linked to this page - http://www.internetretailer.com/top500/list/ so people could see, top merchants aren't using that extension. It was relevant to the conversation.

The post was removed, with somebody thinking I was dropping affiliate links.

That kind of thing. People having discussions (what a forum is for) and a mod coming in and removing posts for no good reason. There were no rules violations anywhere. There are more examples in the Ask A Mod forum, maybe the new owner can take a look.
Believe it or not, there's literally 100's of thousands upon more thousands of threads in the Ask A Mod section. If you could PM me with the links to your reports (To speed up the process) I'll check them out personally. :)

Thanks,

Eric Lyon
Member Services

•••
He's talking about me Eric, when he was a new member he dropped a link to a playboy mag in the .co thread
and I removed it.
INFRACTION DATE: 05-11-2010 LOL I can see how it relevant now - we have both come along way, no?

^JB the first thing you mention is you were new - a 1 month member
dropping links in the discussion forum -and whom obviously
did not read the rules, yup - 99% of the time it is spam.
Most members do a link without it being live - still reaches the same audience?

Ok, back to this - had a whole thing typed out and hit post and it was lost in cyber space

Not directed to anyone, take the me as me and the you as you

Threads/posts removed are no one's business but the member's and the mod's "Privacy" Remember that?
If you want to know why - and it's not your business, err I mean issue -send a PM to the member.
and the so obvious mistakes deleted or removed shouldn't require a PM or a notification
it should require a slap - :o can I say that? Freedom of speech and all.

Dupe accounts are not permitted - long time member or not.
No favoritism when mistakes are made - and why should there be? - that's right - so you can do it.

Links are not allowed in the Discussion forum Period.
Off topic posts are removed mostly at the request of other members
via reports or PM's - and no doubt this will increase if you get to come into
my sales thread and say my name is shit.
Plus we will lose a member cause you wanted a laugh.

But it's ok cause it's not your job they phone or your house they call all night, it's MINE -
angry members - friends I made while in my Volunteer position and not
removing an ignorant post cause you wanted to post it there.
It'll be different when it's in your threads eh?

How many reports do we get about microguy - yeah, let's put that out there...
for the very things you all want here LOL what a joke

Posting "your name is not worth 2 cents" "traffic claims are a lie" will not get removed from your $100 sales threads...cause
so loose the sale, do damage to your business and reputation...just so "you can have a laugh"

:lol:

my 2 cents from the bitch that I am - and I'm sure many will agree

but when you are getting screwed by the "new member" or an old time favorite
I always helped out, found out, or fixed anything I was asked did I not?

Was I not the one person you could Pm and I'd get it done for you?
and you members whom I've dealt with, anything that was not right was corrected
or reversed, posts removed to protect YOU and usually at your request
but now I can't - I can't remove the spam from the new member - he is "expressing his opinion"

so WTFDYW a place to do business or a place to pick on people and their domains?

Namepros is a place of Business and shouldn't be allowed to get like that other place [no-not DNF]

I'm all for deleteing a post rather than a member ...

Last edited:
•••
"He's talking about me Eric, when he was a new member he dropped a link to a playboy mag in the .co thread and I removed it."

You just got busted lying right there. The link was to Gizmodo, I still have the post in my PM. Should I take a screen shot so everybody can see?

"^JB the first thing you mention is you were new - a 1 month member
dropping links in the discussion forum -and whom obviously
did not read the rules, yup - 99% of the time it is spam.
Most members do a link without it being live - still reaches the same audience?"

I did read the rules, you should as well:

"Respect copyright laws by posting links to the original source instead of copying articles in full from another source. Posting a snippet along with link is a more appropriate method of referencing information."

Which I did, aka following the rules.

As far as 99% spam, a mod, who actually would take the time to read the post, would know that it's not. Any member here can see that it's not.

You've just demonstrated part of the problem.

Last edited:
•••
Liar?? really? so childish LOL

I have nothing to hide
oh right, my wording was wrong you dropped a link to an external site referring to a playboy mag HAPPY?

Not sure if posted yet but:

The Next Playboy Centerfold Will Be In 3D

-gizmodo.com/5536087/the-next-playboy-centerfold-will-be-in-3d- [link removed]
The Next Playboy Centerfold Will Be In 3D - playboy 3D - Gizmodo

and 3dcenterfold(s) registered years ago.

and seeing your edit - LOL copyright laws?
all you posted was about a centrefold...yup - relevant
but still NOT a live link.

and that is for General forum usage, and a rule to live by :tu:

Last edited:
•••
Liar?? really? so childish LOL

I have nothing to hide
oh right, my wording was wrong you dropped a link to an external site referring to a playboy mag HAPPY?

Thanks for admitting it. Yes, there is a difference between linking to Playboy, which you just accused me of and linking to Gizmodo. I guess when you realized I still had that post, you made that clarification. You're just proving my point.

"and seeing your edit - LOL copyright laws?
all you posted was about a centrefold...yup - relevant
but still NOT a live link."

? I posted a link to gizmodo about 3d, so what's the problem?

The problem has many others have pointed out, see Domain Gang article, is you overmod. People are here trying to have discussions and you delete posts for no good reason. I just demonstrated that and you're still here trying to defend it. If the new owner is fine with that, so be it. It doesn't help this forum at all tho.

You said:
"Links are not allowed in the Discussion forum Period."

The rules say:
"Respect copyright laws by posting links to the original source instead of copying articles in full from another source. Posting a snippet along with link is a more appropriate method of referencing information."

So which is it? You're saying the opposite of this forum's rules.

Believe it or not, there's literally 100's of thousands upon more thousands of threads in the Ask A Mod section. If you could PM me with the links to your reports (To speed up the process) I'll check them out personally. :)

Thanks,

Eric Lyon
Member Services

I'll send them to the new owner. You were already in a couple of those discussions, your modding isn't the problem. Even if you agree with me, I don't think the mod who doesn't, would care what you thought.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back