NameSilo

Is it time to thiink new about 'radio test'?

Labeled as discuss in General Domain Discussion started by Bob Hawkes, May 15, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. mr-x

mr-x Acme Domains Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP

The discussion around Thiink had me look on NameBio for sales involving ii that were not part of a word. If I have not missed any, Thiink is actually second highest value (viia at just under $60k highest). Some of the others above $10k include wiise, smiile, fiix, miid, miip. Interestingly there were a few significant sales in multiple word ones CentralOrganiic for $21k and TelefoniicDigital for $10k and SkiinInstructorCourse for approx. $5k. There were a bunch of $5k level sales like tiingg, piic and triiple at $6k and piik at $8.5k. There is some indication such names more often since 2015, but small number stats not conclusive. Thre were also a number of ii at the end of words.

Bob

3. Jurgen Wolf

Jurgen Wolf Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Traffic was sold or just domain?
    Always thiink about that before any conclusion...

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  4. ecalc

ecalc Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

The 4 above are available to hand reg.

5. Mr. Deleted

Mr. Deleted Slabaugh.com 800-266-2728 VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I thiink it may have been an end user like www.thiink.in. Otherwise, it makes little sense.

6. Bob Hawkes

It could be them or 20+ other companies use name thiink. There are major ones in both Australia and US as well as one you mention.

7. Bob Hawkes

Thanks for being alert, @ecalc! BTW you say 4 but just 3 in the quote and post?

It turns out the first one of them is my fault. The name is CertifiedOrganiic(com) not Central. Sorry about that!

The Telefoniic one was (slighly) active in past (Wayback) but you are right not currently registered. It seems specialized to use by probably only one company. Of course even in the $1 million up .com sales a surprising number not in meaningful use, as I have commented previously.

And I got the name wrong on the third one :xf.frown: I should only post when I am alert! (the name is active, but not really a double i except literally, it should have been SkiInstructorCourses).

Thanks for being alert! And sorry everyone for me not double checking before I pushed Post.

Bob

8. TauseefKhan

TauseefKhan Established Member

Is Think.com an already existing website? I have not found anything
    Is Think.net an already existing website? There is something but doesn't look like a business
    Is Think.org an already existing website? There is something but doesn't look like a business
    Is Think.co an already existing website? Listed for sale
    and so on...

Think.com is more valuable now due to AI and it's worth millions. So, Thiink for 50k even though fails radio test but for branding maybe it was needed

9. ecalc

ecalc Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Four including tiingg.com which per domaintools is not and has never been registered.

10. Bob Hawkes

Thanks. The name was supposed to be TIING. Sorry my keyboard repeats characters. It is such a pain. Sorry did not catch that. The name is currently for sale at Uniregistry I see.

11. Paul Buonopane

Paul Buonopane CTO, NamePros CTO VIP

This might be besides the point, but, if I'm not mistaken, "ejemplos" is Spanish for "examples" and isn't a misspelling. It probably wouldn't fail the radio test were it on a Spanish radio station. I'm not particularly fluent in Spanish, but I've never heard another common Spanish word that sounds quite like that one. It's pronounced something like ay-HAYMP-lohs. The E's are a bit like English's long A's (hay, day, weigh), the J is like an English H (ham, hard, hat), the O is a long O (no, go, so), and the S is a hard S (sand, same, sauce). Accent is on the second syllable.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  12. Bob Hawkes

Thank you @Paul Buonopane - the point of needing to check many major languages is a good one. A domain that has RT difficulties in one may well be perfect AI in another!

Slightly off topic, but is there a thread or article that looks at the relative value of similar structure words in different languages as domain names? I guess it would be really hard to do. I have always felt that words that span several languages must have significant worth advantages.

13. Bob Hawkes

I think @Ategy.com made a really good point early in this thread. Even if we accept that domain names that fail the 'radio test' might still be good for end use, that does not necessarily mean that they make sense from a domain investment perspective, just because once you get into creative spelling, etc. there are lots of possibilities.

I see the argument each way. As Ategy notes there may be special misspell that just are a terrific case (I would actually see thiink and wiise, both of which sold for good amounts, as in this category).

So I was wondering....
    1. Do you invest at all in deliberate creative misspells of this type?
    2. If so, do you have a large enough portfolio of them that you can share a meaningful sell through rate / average price, to help suggest if investment in them is worthwhile?
    Bob

ps my personal answer to (1) is no and therefore have no data re (2)

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  14. Jv1999

Jv1999 Spamming Exo: Dark Merc of the Exo-Tower VIP

Thought was fake sail.

15. MapleDots

MapleDots Domain Properties 2010 - 2019 VIP

I have been preaching about the double " i i " for quite a while now.

In Canada a huge financial institution is now using

siimply.com as a banking site

another is freshii.com which is making huge grounds.

I also noted that piink.com has huge potential

Picture0010.png

And then who can forget my absolute favorite....

Picture0011.png

In my opinion from all similar type of domains the double ii has one of the greatest potentials.

16. equity78

equity78 Top Member TLDInvestors.com TheDomains Staff PRO Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

smiile.com 18,000 USD 2016-09-12 Sedo

A developed French website now.

17. equity78

equity78 Top Member TLDInvestors.com TheDomains Staff PRO Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

wiise.com 18,000 USD 2018-05-14 Sedo

An accounting software company.

18. equity78

fiix.com 17,000 USD 2015-02-08 Uniregistry

Nice looking home repair website.

19. BrandsOpen

BrandsOpen BrandsOpen.com Gold Account VIP

I personally like it. As a brandable. But I consider myself incompetent, having invested in a crypto misspell (CRYPTTO).

I like it so much, that I wish I had the brains and money to brand a business around it myself.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: