Dynadot

question Is it possible to be very successful in domaining only with handreg domains ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain Name Invest

Established Member
Impact
I often hear that handreg domains are for beginners (often because they are just starting out and it's better to fail with domains registered at handreg fee) and that as the domainer progresses, they move almost exclusively to dropreg domains...

Do you know of any examples of successful domainers who have built their fortunes largely on handreg domains (except for the early investors in domaining of course) ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To be quite honest you need a lot more domains than that if you are going to sell any.
It depends. I hold around 114 now, sold 2 in the past 6 months. All hand-regs.

•••
I really like squarely.com Definitely one to hold to and wait for the right offer.
I already received so many offers for squarely but the price is not right yet.

•••
To be quite honest you need a lot more domains than that if you are going to sell any.
Yeah but in my case i have over 3k domains so I had to put a limit on the new reg even thought there are gems ,but any new person hand regging is not going to be selling 4 domains a month automatically ,so they should get a few good ones to sell via cold calling which is pretty easy after the first 1000 calls gets you through your fears also listen to ''pitch anything on you tube by click this Oren Klaff excellent and free

Last edited:
•••
Yes, but it also depends. Are you creative? Can you think strategically? Do you have a niche or two to target. Do you have an understanding of language & which keywords work together and which ones don't?

My take on hand-reg is to have an end-user in mind before buying; who would benefit from owning this domain? It can be brand protection (not IP infringement, there is a difference), a possible campaign, lead generation, new product, etc. Are you good at sales, or willing to learn outbound sales?

Here is an example ... some domainers might say a 3 word, 19L domain is no good. But a multi-million company is using one for a lead gen site. (Can anyone guess the domain? In use since 2012)

Using creativity and strategy, who knows what gems you will discover, and profit from!

•••
I really like squarely.com Definitely one to hold to and wait for the right offer.
i liked it so much....i just accidentally hand registered Squarley.com. Even though it's misspelled it's my opinion few people will know the difference.

•••
Yes, but it also depends. Are you creative? Can you think strategically? Do you have a niche or two to target. Do you have an understanding of language & which keywords work together and which ones don't?

My take on hand-reg is to have an end-user in mind before buying; who would benefit from owning this domain? It can be brand protection (not IP infringement, there is a difference), a possible campaign, lead generation, new product, etc. Are you good at sales, or willing to learn outbound sales?

Here is an example ... some domainers might say a 3 word, 19L domain is no good. But a multi-million company is using one for a lead gen site. (Can anyone guess the domain? In use since 2012)

Using creativity and strategy, who knows what gems you will discover, and profit from!
Maggie Mae.....about being creative and targeting a "niche or two"......i've been at this game (and i do consider it a game), for over 50 years. Sure domains weren't around 50 years ago but i've started, named and operated dozens of businesses over the years, and I'm not done yet.

A company i named Credit Control Corporation way back in 1973 and sold around 1988 is still in business today and uses the domain CreditControl.net for it's website. As a result of my experience in this particular industry I have hand registered a number of domains specific to the industry. I'm also familiar with the financial services industry, the real estate industry and the medical and healthcare industries.

Currently, and with the help of a technical partner I'm looking to build/develop a marketplace to sell domains and to advise startups.

To the thread originator, yes it's possible to be successful domaining only with handregs, but you should have some practical business experience or at least partner with someone who does. Good Luck!

•••
i liked it so much....i just accidentally hand registered Squarley.com. Even though it's misspelled it's my opinion few people will know the difference.
Maggie Mae.....about being creative and targeting a "niche or two"......i've been at this game (and i do consider it a game), for over 50 years. Sure domains weren't around 50 years ago but i've started, named and operated dozens of businesses over the years, and I'm not done yet.

A company i named Credit Control Corporation way back in 1973 and sold around 1988 is still in business today and uses the domain CreditControl.net for it's website. As a result of my experience in this particular industry I have hand registered a number of domains specific to the industry. I'm also familiar with the financial services industry, the real estate industry and the medical and healthcare industries.

Currently, and with the help of a technical partner I'm looking to build/develop a marketplace to sell domains and to advise startups.

To the thread originator, yes it's possible to be successful domaining only with handregs, but you should have some practical business experience or at least partner with someone who does. Good Luck!

Congrats on your success and best of luck in your new business ventures!

I stand by my post; if a person has the skills I mentioned at minimum, even without decades of business experience, I believe they can succeed with hand-reg domains. Plus, new trends emerge often, so a newbie, with talent, can compete with the seasoned pros.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back