IT.COM

discuss Is it impossible to handreg a million dollar name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mAd MaX

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
All domains are handreged but is it impossible to handreg a million dollar name post 2010?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Registrar: Yes, it's very possible, let's do it!

•••
It takes guts to turn down xxx,xxx offers and hold out for x,xxx,xxx

exactly this will be your problem:

5 years before the million dollar offer appears
you have already sold the domain for $1500 USD
and brag about your profit

•••
It is possible. It is extremely rare.

For example, Epik recently managed a multi 6 figure domain sale for a 2 word brandable that was a hand-registration from not long before. Right place, right time.

Two thoughts:

1. These are what I call asymmetric opportunities where one man's trash is another man's treasure. This pretty much only happens with brandable domains.

2. The dynamic that I find drives "money is no object" pricing is where an executive committee led by a "buck stops here" CEO that endorses a strategy, i.e. we will call ourselves this brand name. Sometimes companies launch the product before the brand takes off. This also drives that type of dynamic.

As for the sale reporting, I think many cases where a company is clearly overpaying for a domain name go unreported to avoid embarrassment for management or to avoid second-guessing by the peanut gallery.

•••
Imo, it is possible if someone is so lucky that a short time later something might be born that will require that newly registered name and can justify the 1mil sale. Extremely improbable but it can happen.

What is *not* possible is your average domainer to manage a sale like that. The power is not only in the name but in the ability of the seller to maximise the domain's potential.

So, the name might be worth that much but will the owner know it? :)

•••
What is *not* possible is your average domainer to manage a sale like that. The power is not only in the name but in the ability of the seller to maximise the domain's potential.

So, the name might be worth that much but will the owner know it? :)

It takes guts to turn down xxx,xxx offers and hold out for x,xxx,xxx

•••
I think it is not impossible but the odds are infinitesimal of it happening. In 2018 there were 4 domain only sales (NameBio list) of $1 million and up, out of about 70,000 .com sales over $100. All of them were long registered.

To have any chance one needs to be at the forefront of futuristic ideas, speculate a lot on names most of which will sell for nothing, and there is a tiny chance one might hit the jackpot. However, also a greater chance you will be hit by a meteorite, and that is pretty tiny (but not 0).

Bob

•••
If you had the ability to foresee a major technology or even a social trend not yet predicted or in development, then yes it would be possible, trouble being you now need to know what that 'futuristic' project would also be called or popularly referenced as

However, your more likely to hit-on a good name for a future project/technology already in development and find yourself with a good 'Also-ran' domain selling for X,XXX to XX,XXX in maybe 5 to 10+ years time.

It's going to have to be something with Mass adoption

Last edited:
•••
Most people said possible but very rear and hard, I also believe so and I clearly mentioned in the OP post 2010.

A few people are negative about this, that's difference of opinion and nature!

A little positivity boost, CBDOil.com recently sold for $500k registered in 2012. According to the buyer he would have paid more.

•••
It is possible. Only if we have the ability to say "NO" to every single offer including the $1m one. The buyer has no choice other than increase the stake or lose the asset.

How long you can say NO?
I think this will be the biggest obstacle. How long can you say NO?

$1,000,000 sales usually starts with $1,000 offers. How long can you say NO?

Can you hold after $10,000, $100,000, $500,000 offers? Many 1million USD domains are sold for $1,000 because the owner does not have the nerve to hold. How long can you say NO?

Here's why people like @Rick Schwartz excels in high price sales. They know exactly how to say NO and mean NO.

Last edited:
•••
It maybe possible in 5-50 years. But they would need to be extremely knowledgeable AND fortunate, OR possibly criminally liable for insider trading.

•••
All domains are handreged but is it impossible to handreg a million dollar name post 2010?
It's 100% possible. Recently, I started experimenting with hand registrations, and I am seeing really good potentials.

You just have to hold and wait for few more years. And you really need to be very creative and deeply knowledgeable.

•••
If a company was willing to pay 1 million for Dudu.com then anything is possible. Dudu may not be a handreg but it was no where near a million dollar domain. You just need the right domain and the right crazy ass at the helm of the company you are trying to sell it to.

•••
Trends-Bhavna@2x.png

- There are millions of combination words in .com still available.
- There are new trends developing every day.
- There are new companies and start ups opening every day.
- There are millions of product launches every single day.
- There are new words coming to the forefront at a faster rate than ever.

Be on top of some of these and it is very possible to hand register a million dollar domain.

Only problem here is people that are lacking imagination or the business savvy to know when to hold or when to fold.

•••
I would say the odds are essentially 0%, or as close as you can possibly get to 0%.
Is anyone aware of even a single verified case of this?

The only real way is if you have a domain and some massive trend emerges, like cryptocurrency for example. But even then how many million dollar sales have there been?

Also, like some others have said it is highly unlikely you will turn down all the offers it takes to get the million dollar one.

If you want to build a business you need realistic goals, not pipe dreams...

Brad

Last edited:
•••
No, already did that a while ago! Just have to sell them

privatesatellites.com

Nasa ore SpaceX will buy it. (; whaiting for mainstream adoption. Haha

•••
Yes, you can do it, it's called money laundering. You just need some money that needs washing.

money-laundry.com is free.

Last edited:
•••
looks like he overpaid a little ;)
he should have asked godaddy
they know exactly

upload_2019-4-8_15-37-13.png

upload_2019-4-8_15-38-33.png

Last edited:
•••
I think this will be the biggest obstacle. How long can you say NO?

$1,000,000 sales usually starts with $1,000 offers. How long can you say NO?

Can you hold after $10,000, $100,000, $500,000 offers? Many 1million USD domains are sold for $1,000 because the owner does not have the nerve to hold. How long can you say NO?

Here's why people like @Rick Schwartz excels in high price sales. They know exactly how to say NO and mean NO.

May be someone with 1M sales can better answer this question. IMO, Brokers can handle the high ticket sales better than individuals.

•••
Wish thinking, answer is has not been done. Why lead people away?

So how do you know it has not been done, you have checked all million dollar sales and verified they were not recent hand registrations?

Even so you are aware that only a small portion of sales are ever reported.

If I was a gambling man I would wager you that you're jumping the gun with your response on this one.

•••
mate i know someone who didnt take 5 million dollar for a domain in the diamond industry, and want more and it never reported anywhere, do you know how much on a daily basis huge deals runs out there, what reported its only 00.1% from all sales,, the question is why the nature of this business is private more then public,,,also alot of domains that publish on marketplace in the end closed outside of the market so it not go public and not to pay fees 10% for a deal

So you are saying only 1/1000 sales are reported? Nonsense.

I would venture to guess that the vast majority are not reported, but that ratio is absurd.

Brad

•••
AMillionDollarName.com

Last edited:
•••
The very first time it any name was registered was by hand so it has been already done before whether that is impossible in 2019 could be debated. If someone picks it up on drop or expired it is same thing if can be resold for a million. People have gone on vacation and will keep forgetting making all sorts of mistakes.

•••
Even with any sort of big number possibility it is all down to how the negotiation is handled. Does every million dollar domain potential even have a million dollar price tag on it today? Some sales also paid way more than they should have. There is so much to it besides choosing great names.

•••
It's entirely possible as long as you register something that doesn't exist yet and, either by luck or vision, it becomes a hot trend.

But the question could be better phrased as literally any domain could be worth $1 million given enough time, or put it another way, you can't rule out that any domain will eventually sell for $1 million if time isn't constrained.

"Is it possible to hand-reg a domain name after 2010 that will sell for $1 million in 15 or less years? " - that's a better question.

•••
@legendarynames rightly said. But, I think one doesn't need to wait for 15 years. Changes are happening quite rapidly nowadays compare to last decade. So, I think - 5 years time is an ample time to verify if what you've registered goes mainstream.

I actually do know someone (not a domainer) who hand-reg'ed a .com for a personal project that got shelved and that domain sold for a solid six figures amount, 12 years later. It was out of pure luck as the thing became a trend.

The domain was registered in 2000.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back