Dynadot

advice Is it good or bad to list the same domain at different prices?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
A number of us have our own portfolio site or marketplace where we list domain names at a set price.
But we often aim to get additional exposure and sales by listing domains on third party marketplaces such as Afternic etc...

However, Afternic and others, charge about 20%(more or less)...

1. So do you adjust your domain name prices to cover this commission?
  2. And do you think potential buyers get turned off if they happen to see a domain listed different places at different prices? What's their mindset...
Even domainers, because I once submitted a name to a domains wanted thread and i got back a message asking if i listed the name on sedo at a certain price(higher). I'm wondering if the domainer wanted to know if i owned the name or expected to see the same price offered. Because charges commission, so I'm not sure. And names submitted in NP is normally expected for less or wholesale. So I'm not sure of their question. But anyway, the main question is about general end-users....

Should i just list at the same price and take the loss or see it as ok, because they sent you the lead...or offered confidence to the buyer.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If the buyer sees the same domain listed at different price, that may scare some people (it must be some kind of scam, different people selling the same domain, no thanks, I rather pass). However, there is not much you can do about it, because even if you use the same price everywhere, Afternic and Sedo partners add their own fees on top of your price.

I believe the most user-friendly way to deal with it could be having your lander suggesting purchase via different providers with explanations why the price would be different. E. g. buy at Godaddy 12k, buy at Sedo 11.5k, buy at Undeveloped 11k, buy via Escrow.com 10k.

•••
If the buyer sees the same domain listed at different price, that may scare some people (it must be some kind of scam, different people selling the same domain, no thanks, I rather pass). However, there is not much you can do about it, because even if you use the same price everywhere, Afternic and Sedo partners add their own fees on top of your price.

I believe the most user-friendly way to deal with it could be having your lander suggesting purchase via different providers with explanations why the price would be different. E. g. buy at Godaddy 12k, buy at Sedo 11.5k, buy at Undeveloped 11k, buy via Escrow.com 10k.

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions.
I never thought about the scam part...I guess i would be wondering too if i put myself in their shoes. It would atleast confuse me. That seems to be the drawback to the idea of having your names before as much eyes as possible. It may get sales now and then but is probably not good long term or for my personal brand. I like the ideas for the different checkout options and maybe an explanation.

But how do you use Godaddy as a checkout?
You can't list on afternic because it will show your domains everywhere.
And godaddy doesn't have a dedicated landing page to point a link to for checkout.
Well atleast Godaddy has a auction page, that is confusing to a new buyer.. it says 88 days left, and though you put buy now, it shows that as the last option. It shows at the top make offer/bid option.
If you point to godaddy's front page then it makes you compete with other extensions and names?

That's frustrating because I register the majority of my names at Godaddy and that option would have been ideal to have.

Last edited:
•••
Unfortunately I am not aware of any way to send user straight to checkout with a certain domain in cart at Godaddy. Although maybe we ask @Joe Styler?

However, you can use URL like

https://www.godaddy.com/domainsearch/find?checkAvail=1&domainToCheck=mydomain.com

And it is going to show Godaddy search results page with mydomain.com sitting on top in a box "premium domain", its price, green "get it" button (of course, if its for sale, this example I've used, mydomain.com, is not).

If you point to godaddy's front page then it makes you compete with other extensions and names?
Indeed, there would be other extensions below, but in the scenario when it is about .com and we expect the buyer understanding (s)he needs the .com and nothing else, that would not be much of an issue.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the feedback/suggestions.
I never thought about the scam part...I guess i would be wondering too if i put myself in their shoes. It would atleast confuse me. That seems to be the drawback to the idea of having your names before as much eyes as possible. It may get sales now and then but is probably not good long term or for my personal brand. I like the ideas for the different checkout options and maybe an explanation.

You can't list on afternic because it will show your domains everywhere.
And godaddy doesn't have a dedicated landing page to point a link to for checkout.
Well atleast Godaddy has a auction page, that is confusing to a new buyer.. it says 88 days left, and though you put buy now, it shows that as the last option. It shows at the top make offer/bid option.

That's frustrating because I register the majority of my names at Godaddy and that option would have been ideal to have.
@Joe Styler

•••
Hello.

I think price should be the same.

You, you, and you yourself MUST know what is the price for your domain name, to advertise it on Market.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back