Dynadot

question Is it acceptable to "bundle" domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

bamboozle

Established Member
Impact
I have three domains in a specific niche that make a killer combo if owned together. They are all currently listed on Dan with Afternic reseller path. Is it ok if I add a note in each domain's description that says something like "Get domain1.com, domain2.com, and domain3.com as a bundle for $...! Make an offer and send me a message to get started." I'd set the bundle price to be less than the total price of all three domains.

Can I do that? I ask because I've never done something like this and want to make sure it's within Dan's terms (yes, I'll reach out to them too!).

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I’ve done that as a selling point in private sales but it’s not possible to do that on a marketplace with official guarantees. If you can contact the buyer directly, Epik escrow can process domain sales in bundles and that’s what I’d do.

•••
By the way, this should usually be done with matching names, like reverses such as zstudio and studioz .com. I would argue it adds brand protection and avoids customer confusion.

•••
I would only do it privately, to another domainer or via outbound.

Publicly imo it appears garage sale-ish and desperate.

•••
If selling co.uk and I have com then I would say I have com. I wouldn't mention every other tom, dick and harry extension because like @karmaco says it looks garage sale-ish.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks to the ability to have direct communication of potential buyers and sellers on Dan, there's an interesting potential solution here:
1) In the domain offer description, mention can be made of a potential bundle with the other domain(s).
2) Bids can then be placed by the buyer simultaneously on each of those in the desired combo deal.
3) If the total price is not at first what is desired, the seller can provide a counteroffer for each citing the total requested.
4) If the initial contact is with only one bid on one domain, a counteroffer and message can be sent explaining the desire to sell the bundle. and then negotiate prices on both if they are interested.
In my case, I had Dan customer service check out some of my descriptions, to make certain they were OK with the potential bundle deals. They were fine with it, and I'll report back here if it works!

Good luck with your sales!

•••
Yes, you can bundle domains with Dan.

I asked them about this recently and this is the response I got:

"...as a seller you can sell a bundle, mention the included domains in the description of the parent domain and our transfer team will transfer all the mentioned domains in a single transaction to a buyer."

•••
Ever sold cars?....

You don't sell all 3 cars at once.... Price them $, $$, $$$.
Sell your customer the mid-sized tier, and sell your next cars when you really feel they value your domains.
It might sound opportunistic to sell your luxury cars to their competitors, but DON'T.

You don't sell one car.
You sell 5 cars in 15 years.

Last edited:
•••
I'd suggest not to do it. It devalues our domain names. ALWAYS sell them as seperate items. If the buyer is smart enough then he will make offer on the other domain as well.. if he does and you identify him then you can give him whatever discount you have in mind.
Rick has an excellent blog post somewhere where he explains why domains should always be sold one at a time.
Think about it: he sold property in king for 36mil and yet has kept properties com seperate and up for sale!

•••
Ever sold cars?....

You don't sell all 3 cars at once.... Price them $, $$, $$$.
Sell your customer the mid-sized tier, and sell your next cars when you really feel they value your domains.
It might sound opportunistic to sell your luxury cars to their competitors, but DON'T.

You don't sell one car.
You sell 5 cars in 15 years.
Lol domains are quite a bit different than cars my guy xD

•••
Yes, you can bundle domains with Dan.

I asked them about this recently and this is the response I got:

"...as a seller you can sell a bundle, mention the included domains in the description of the parent domain and our transfer team will transfer all the mentioned domains in a single transaction to a buyer."
Thank you! That's even simpler. Do you only list the one parent domain and do that using a Dan Lander? Do you do this as a BIN rather than "Make offer?" And have you had any success with this?

•••
I've listed the following in the description of each domain bundle:

"Also visit
domain1.xyz
domain2.xyz
domain3.xyz"

So that way I'm not suggesting a bundle, but letting a potential buyer know that I also own domains worth looking into.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you! That's even simpler. Do you only list the one parent domain and do that using a Dan Lander? Do you do this as a BIN rather than "Make offer?" And have you had any success with this?
I believe the only way for a buyer to message the seller on Dan is to make an offer first and then send a message after. So probably best to have a make offer option. I haven't sold any bundles yet, so we'll see how it goes!

•••
I have three domains in a specific niche that make a killer combo if owned together. They are all currently listed on Dan with Afternic reseller path.
Thanks for promoting this discussion about packaged domain deals. I am curious, though, as to your "killer combo." NoNonsense 123 indicated concern that selling the bundles can devalue individual domains. Perhaps your combo could be an example to the contrary.

•••
Do you only list the one parent domain and do that using a Dan Lander?
Doing it that way would be the safest since listing the bundled domains separately could lead to multiple purchases of the same domain at the same time - similar to having a domain sell on multiple marketplaces at the same time. Rare, but possible.
Do you do this as a BIN rather than "Make offer?"
This can be done either way.
And have you had any success with this?
I was asking them about this in preparation of bundling a couple of domains that I had and before I did it, one of them sold. So I haven't done it yet.

This could be food for thought for the other part of this discussion.

It's great that I sold the one, but now I'm still holding the other. If I had sold them as a bundle, even at a discount, I would have sold both and had additional revenue. This would've been my choice.

I'm in the similar mindset of @twiki - see his recent thread about this - I'm really happy to pay 20% or even 30% commission to good platforms. Here's why.

Each to their own...

•••
I believe the only way for a buyer to message the seller on Dan is to make an offer first and then send a message after. So probably best to have a make offer option. I haven't sold any bundles yet, so we'll see how it goes!
Another way may be to use their new price request option - Dan.com product update #3.

•••
Back