IT.COM

Is .io only popular with English one words?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Tomasso90

Established Member
Impact
Heyya all,
Just wondering, if there was any previous non English one word io sales, trying to scout through namebio but haven't seen that many. Is it because it wasn't reported or because its not a thing?

Thanks for reading my posthave a goodday.
Tomasso

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is a country domain but I think it's too small to get any impact and now it's like functional name

•••
I've sold 2-word .io domains with no sweat. So it ain't about the number of words.

About language, since this is tech related (or viewed as such), and most tech companies are US-based, I guess you have the answer.

There will be demand in other languages of course, but much less. The same applies to .coms as well.

•••
I've sold 2-word .io domains with no sweat. So it ain't about the number of words.

About language, since this is tech related (or viewed as such), and most tech companies are US-based, I guess you have the answer.

There will be demand in other languages of course, but much less. The same applies to .coms as well.
Brilliant, thanks for the heads up, where do you list the two word ones? Is there any sweetspot pricewise for those?

Last edited:
•••
Little interest from China/Far East in .io from what I can see for any length of domain.
But certainly a winner in many countries.

•••
Mainly, although the largest prosecco company in the world acquired prosecco.io from me - last year

•••
Mainly, although the largest prosecco company in the world acquired prosecco.io from me - last year
woww that's a great sale, congrats, so i guess there is market for it then. I remember there was a guy here a couple of weeks ago asking for appraisal for malbec.io that i was eyeing with but never registered, i tried to tag him but couldn't find his post.
By any chance could you fill us in what was the price range? Mid thousands$?

•••
yes, your estimate is pre
woww that's a great sale, congrats, so i guess there is market for it then. I remember there was a guy here a couple of weeks ago asking for appraisal for malbec.io that i was eyeing with but never registered, i tried to tag him but couldn't find his post.
By any chance could you fill us in what was the price range? Mid thousands$?
yes, your estimate sale price is pretty accurate. i didn't even counter, as I happened to see it listed in auction on park.io and picked it up for low price of circa 120 USD, so substantial ROI

•••
yes, your estimate is pre

yes, your estimate sale price is pretty accurate. i didn't even counter, as I happened to see it listed in auction on park.io and picked it up for low price of circa 120 USD, so substantial ROI

Woww thats a great flip! And imo io has the potential for well known non-english words too, if not now but in a year or two

•••
yeah, a bit surprised i got it at that price. i believe this was late 2019 or early 2020 when .io domains were just starting to fetch high sales, but nowhere close to where they're fetching high sales now like ledger.io for 120 k

i guess crypto, ledger, bitcoin, eth, coin domains fetch the highest sales in .com, then .io, then .org, then .gg, based on comps

Last edited:
•••
I had an .io sale fall thru last week...offered mid xxxxx, and I countered with high xxxxx...they had hired a broker...I tried to meet half way, but deal blew up and they bought another domain

some buyers just don't like the process of negotiations, due to having to get approvals.

BIN may be the most effective way to sell domains...no major windfalls, but decent returns - not referring to single premium word .com domains registered pre 2000 or hot words like nft, metaverse, where sky's the limit.

•••
> was any previous non English one word io sales

.io domains are very popular within two industries: tech startups and multiplayer web games.

The whole ".io game" domain craze started with the game AGAR IO in 2015. The developer (Matheus Valadares) released his game on 4chan, and users just connected to an IP address at the time. He didn't have a name for the game yet, but he wanted it related to cells, spores, or viruses. Problem was, the really good .com's he wanted were taken. A random user on 4chan recommended AGAR since it was a simple name, and the .io domains were really cheap at the time.

Despite the name, it was a huge hit and he later released a mobile version 3 months later. During the first year, the developer made $200-300,000 USD per month from the mobile version alone, and about the same from the web version. It grew even more.

Around the same time in 2016, he launched "DIEP IO" and stuck with the same simple name and .io domain convention due to Agar.io's popularity. Just a few months before it's release, though, Slither.io also launched, and it also exploded into a viral hit. During the first 3 months of operation, Slither.io cost $15,000 per month in server costs, but the developer was pulling in $100,000 USD per DAY in ad revenue. It grew rapidly, but I can only confirm the initial revenue figures that he shared.

Generally, ".IO GAMES" are supposed to be HTML5 web-based multiplayer games where the player can join/leave a real-time game at any time. Revenue is through a combination of static ads on the front page, and interstitial ads between player deaths. However, it has evolved into .io games that are match-based, collaborative multiplayer games, shooters, and even single player puzzle games using the .io nomenclature to attract casual gamers. IAPs are also available in a small number of these web games, like purchasing skins, ad removal, or various in-game currency or upgrades.

Because of their international appeal, .io games are very popular in most non-English speaking countries. .IO games are huge in Spain for example. I have a web game that's very popular in Russia too. Although it's an English word, most of my traffic is from .ru players.

Generally, .io web domains are sold privately to game developers or companies investing in HTML5-specifically web games. It has replaced Flash, which is not recommended to use anymore due to it's significant security risks. There are even owners of web game aggregators that have been purchasing .io domains privately to be used for game development later, or even for investment, to re-sell. The web game industry is much bigger than people realize, and it's continuing to grow steadily. With better browser apps on mobile devices, it's possible that web games could replace native apps specifically in gaming because of their universal compatibility.

Hope this helps!

•••
This has been a real eye opener and also reminds me the time i played on agar.io..
Our of curiosity could you share your site I'm very curious even though i dont speak russian :) io has such a fascinating journey. Thanks for your very valuable comment postfu, greatly appreciated!
Have a good weekend,
Tomasso

•••
Our of curiosity could you share your site I'm very curious even though i dont speak russian

Most io games were built with English but there's a huge demand for these multiplayer web games in every country (even North Korea.) Whatever device, mobile, TV, fridge, computer, or e-toilet they're using, as long as it has a web browser, they'll be able to play it. IO games also don't need to be installed, they're free, and they can usually run on older machines that can't play new AAA games.

(Note: They are also very popular in schools, when they attended in person that is, and played during lunch and recess periods. So popular in fact that many developers create proxy servers so that their consumers can play from school or work computers that have content filtering. They play web games during the day, then jump on consoles when they get home. Traffic is really going to explode again once kids are back in school like before).

As long as you design the games to use as little text as possible (universally recognized icons are better), anyone can play them. :)

TETRADS [IO] is the one with Russian appeal, which I suspect is because of the Tetris connection. I also designed one called JAMMIES [IO] and working on another new one currently. But, if anyone from the community here has any questions about Game Design and their connection to Niche Domains, I might be able to help. I'm new to domain flipping, but have lots of experience in the gaming industry.

•••
Back