IT.COM

poll Is insider bidding rampant on popular Domain auction platforms?

NameSilo
Watch

Is insider bidding rampant on domain auction platforms?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    42.9%
  • No

votes
    28.6%
  • Maybe

votes
    28.6%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

J.R.

Established Member
Impact
I've never trusted any popular domain name auction platforms. From experience, I've seen conflicts of interest between registrars and auction platforms. There have been some proven incidents of shill bidding and insiders trading against their own customers.

Observing behavior on auction platforms, it doesn't seem far-fetched to conclude insiders with proxy bid info from customers use this info to bid against their customers.

Trust is critical in any industry, and debatable conflicts of interest and fake sales make me distrusting of auction platforms.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You're always going to find some form of insider dealing, bidding, trading etc that may benefit another party. Not just in the domain industry, but just about every industry. One thing to bare in mind is that the most reputable auction platforms in the space, are least likely to engage in the things you've mentioned, under the vast majority of circumstances. They are already running very good businesses, and is certainly within their interest, to keep it fair game. IMO

Last edited:
•••
SHill Bidding is possible and happens but insider bidding is farfetched, unless they are stupid and risk losing a multi million dollar company for a few bucks

•••
There are bidders pumping up the price and don't pay. They wait for the domain to be auctioned again so they can get it for cheaper price. Don't get caught in a bidding war.

•••
I don't know about insider bidding (at least involving the venue itself), but sometimes there are auction shenanigans for sure.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back