Dynadot

poll Is domaining harder than trading stocks?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is domaining harder than trading stocks?

• 47 votes
  • Ended 8 years ago
  • Final results

Ram G.

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Depends on which of two you are good at and which one you find more interesting IMO. For me Domaining is easier.

Last edited:
•••
Absolutely not harder. This is one big reason unlike with stocks which you cannot control someone else runs the company domains you can increase there value in many different ways over time or even on a short period basis it is possible. Stocks however your sitting and waiting hoping someone gets the company right.

•••
For me, stocks are easier, although I studied finance and currently work in equity research. With companies that I trust, I know when is a good time to buy and enjoy dividend income and long term capital growth. With domains, outside of very premium names, there comes a lot of uncertainty and waiting for a sale can be anxious.

Of course, stock investing and stock trading are completely different concepts, to which trading is much more difficult.

•••
For me, stocks are easier, although I studied finance and currently work in equity research. With companies that I trust, I know when is a good time to buy and enjoy dividend income and long term capital growth. With domains, outside of very premium names, there comes a lot of uncertainty and waiting for a sale can be anxious.

Of course, stock investing and stock trading are completely different concepts, to which trading is much more difficult.
Pretty much what I meant based on abilities to influence alone I couldn't agree more its apples to oranges pretty much.

•••
At least, there is more liquidity in stocks. In domaining the barrier to entry is lower.

•••
I kinda think domaining might be better compared to buying penny stocks, great risk and great reward if you do your research. If domainers spent the time they do looking for good domains on researching penny stock companies they might come out ahead in that too. Of coarse some people make the wrong decision no matter what they do
Joe T

•••
Both are interesting and challenging to me that makes them both more compelling.

•••
Im going to say domaining is harder in the sense you have to work (usually) for a sale. With stocks, you simply wait until they reach a point you're happy to sell.

•••
•••
At least, there is more liquidity in stocks. In domaining the barrier to entry is lower.

fess are lower too

•••
Absolutely not harder. This is one big reason unlike with stocks which you cannot control someone else runs the company domains you can increase there value in many different ways over time or even on a short period basis it is possible. Stocks however your sitting and waiting hoping someone gets the company right.

While what you say is true, I'd say the more valid analogy is that trading stocks is more like just buying and holding domain names. If one develops domains then that is more like starting a company and growing it.

Some people flip / daytrade in domains like stocks / real estate.
Some people invest long term in domains like stocks real estate.
Some people develop domains like companies / real estate.

Domaining is a market where every share (domain name) is unique and this "fuzzies" the notion of a standard market or floor price. Shares of Google are identical, FQKN.com is close but not the same as FQKM.com

I think domaining is harder.

•••
if you sell a stock
and later you regret it
you buy it again

try this with domains

•••
•••
NO!

I know what kind of domain names to buy and at what price.

I can register a domain name for $1 and flip it to $8 overnight and be able to repeat the same thing over and over again.

Sounds really easy to me..

Last edited:
•••
if you sell a stock
and later you regret it
you buy it again

try this with domains

You can buy similar domains or contact the new buyer and make an offer or just move on and buy sell repeat..

•••
I had 1,600 domains at one point many years ago. They are much easier to buy than stocks. I mean, you can scoop all kinds of penny stocks and it's fun to have 60,000 share of a company. But it's not fun when you lose some or all of the money you paid.

With domains, you only have the reg fee, stupid Estibot, or your own guess to set a starting value. Chances are the domain is generally not going to get much more valuable over time. It's value depends mostly on the buyer(s) you can find. With stocks you have not only a starting price, but historic price which can help you to understand, but not predict the future value.

With stocks and domains you need to learn and gain experience in order to do well. I sold one domain for $5k but I got lucky with a good buyer. For the most part I was not good at selling either because my domains were not very good or I couldn't find a buyer. I only have about 200 domains currently.

If you are good at domaining then you might just be good at stock trading too. It's hard to buy a $1 stock and sell it for $8 in a day, but you just might be able to find a stock and invest $1,000 and make $100 in a day (minus $7 + $7 or $14 fee for the 2 trades). One is 800% profit and one is only 10% profit. The difference is the level you are playing at.

I strongly suggest that all domainers start looking at the stock market and begin by paper trading, or pretending to buy things they think are good and then see what happens. Do this for 3-6 months BEFORE you risk your own money. It's better to learn and not have to pay for it like I have. :)

•••
I am a professional day trader and an amateur domainer.

I am alot more successful in trading stocks. That's not to say share trading is easier. I'm just more experienced in share trading.

•••
You can buy similar domains or contact the new buyer and make an offer or just move on and buy sell repeat..

think a moment about the premium you will need to pay

•••
I think stocks are a more high risk investment and you have far less control over their performance. With a domain there are a number of things you can do to help its performance, like build a site and direct traffic and monetize it. Or just sell it on the basis of the name alone. The return on investment from domaining is better short term given the initial capital risk upfront. Stocks is a long term thing really, unless you count binary options or CFD trading which are pretty much like gambling but for people interested in finance. Stocks and Shares is probably a better long term investment but requiring a bigger lump sum up front, of course you could go down the penny stocks route but what are your chances of finding the next Apple, Microsoft, Facebook or Google? probably worth a punt if you have a spare few hundred notes you could live without

•••
Stock trading depends on an arbitrary market with buy and sell side predation. But a stock will always be a function of the company it is divested from. A domainer can create s name, site, product commerce channel and it is not regulated by the sec.

•••
Back