Dynadot

discuss Is .biz out of business? Who else?

NameSilo
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
I was recently in Bangalore, the Silicon Valley of India, and came across a media group on a person's T-shirt (I couldn't see the entire name) but the name ended in "[something]mediagroup.biz"

And that reminded me of the extension which supposedly, I have never ever typed in my browser to open any website. Hardly ever do I remember, opening a website with .biz in its extension.
And I realized that .BIZ is extension is dead. And so is .MOBI

What other extensions do you think are dead, that you remember existed few years ago and haven't seen them around in a while?
What do you think is the reason behind their demise?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Dot BIZ is not dead. Why spread misinformation?

And by the way, .biz is infinitely more valuable than many of the new gtld's floating around.

It is memorable, short, catchy, and easily pronounceable. It passes the Radio Test with full muster and maximum Pelvic Thrust.

•••
I was recently in Bangalore, the Silicon Valley of India, and came across a media group on a person's T-shirt (I couldn't see the entire name) but the name ended in "[something]mediagroup.biz"

And that reminded me of the extension which supposedly, I have never ever typed in my browser to open any website. Hardly ever do I remember, opening a website with .biz in its extension.

What other extensions do you think are dead, that you remember existed few years ago and haven't seen them around in a while?

As far as usage or domain investors making money?

•••
yes .biz is not so hot. it may go extinct soon.

that being said.. I just regged cryptoexchange off expired.

i've regged some biz here and there over the years... a few sales.

hard to say roi overall... but im gonna say its positive. :)

Last edited:
•••
I really should snatched up MindYourOwn.biz

•••
Dot BIZ is not dead. Why spread misinformation?

And by the way, .biz is infinitely more valuable than many of the new gtld's floating around.

It is memorable, short, catchy, and easily pronounceable. It passes the Radio Test with full muster and maximum Pelvic Thrust.
I agree with what you have said! But it hasn't taken off. I mean based on my limited information, I don't see or use a lot of .biz websites and hence, my take on this!

The numbers also seem to indicate similar things.

As far as usage or domain investors making money?
Usage was what I was referring to. For that matter, I think investor's money is also not flowing in this extension. DO you have a different opinion on this?

I really should snatched up MindYourOwn.biz
Is that a sarcasm?
Very limited sales in .biz. 4-figure sale in this extension is almost rare!

•••
DC661907-EEFD-4834-8E97-2ECCEA37DA0B.png

•••
I have practically gave away .biz with no takers. One word, decent search like “sweat”. “asleep” “fib” “owe” sitting at $29, the ones I have sold have been in that range. I would hold for awhile but have limited budget and higher value .coms

I don’t think .biz is dead, rather in a coma and might take off if one or two sites using it become very popular, giving the market permission to use it. The author of Hello My Name is Awesome wrote positive about .biz this is one of the best selling books on naming a business. And Dsad.com has made positive remarks.

Was hoping the NGTLDs would actually help .biz as business see the lack .com options and do not want a long extension. But .co and .io appears to have taken that space.

•••
I have practically gave away .biz with no takers. One word, decent search like “sweat”. “asleep” “fib” “owe” sitting at $29, the ones I have sold have been in that range. I would hold for awhile but have limited budget and higher value .coms

I don’t think .biz is dead, rather in a coma and might take off if one or two sites using it become very popular, giving the market permission to use it. The author of Hello My Name is Awesome wrote positive about .biz this is one of the best selling books on naming a business. And Dsad.com has made positive remarks.

Was hoping the NGTLDs would actually help .biz as business see the lack .com options and do not want a long extension. But .co and .io appears to have taken that space.
Exactly I thought.

•••
Mortgage.biz is owned by one of the biggest banks in the world

•••
.biz has always been dead.

Raising renewal to $35 made it more dead

.Com for life

•••
Beware folks.

they have right to raise 10% anytime.

it’s aleady expensive renewal as is!

I saved this message from this registrar during that raise.

B0F772C9-A075-4312-8E6F-B291DDDB98D0.jpeg

————————————————————-

note bottom. apply it to $8 com,up 7% each 4, whereas Biz costs $35 renew? lol
In case you’re wondering why word .biz cheap.

More reason to worry. Neustar was bought by a venture capital firm, Golden Gate Capital —
same capital firm that owns Red Lobster ;)
So while they can never go out of business,
still losers, see upside dwindle each new ngtld

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Beware folks.

they have right to raise 10% anytime.

it’s aleady expensive renewal as is!

I saved this message from this registrar during that raise.

Show attachment 147895
————————————————————-

note bottom. apply it to $8 com,up 7% each 4, whereas Biz costs $35 renew? lol
In case you’re wondering why word .biz cheap.

More reason to worry. Neustar was bought by a venture capital firm, Golden Gate Capital —
same capital firm that owns Red Lobster ;)
So while they can never go out of business,
still losers, see upside dwindle each new ngtld

Samer

cheap habits lead to cheap ways

If you have a keyword that combines respectfully with the extension then it’s a good domain and depending on the industry it could be a valuable domain

But the problem with a majority of investors is their inability to see the bigger picture,

If you saw the name web.site or cars.xyz - would you consider these poor names versus website-buildersanonymous.com or carsoncolfax.com ... the internet is polluted and overfilled with poor real estate, it makes sense to create new realestate, that of which can build or continue to grow the success of hard working companies

.biz was created as the short slang for business and there are many companies that actually own their .biz in order to prevent cyber squatting

Renewals shouldn’t really be that big a deal in an investors portfolio ... if the renewal is $500 annually, then the name should be taken into consideration, especially if you own an entire portfolio filled with them ... but a 1 euro difference annually ... that’s just funny, and I don’t think anyone who has good keywords with a .biz should throw away their name because of a one euro difference ... 10% increase each year ... how many meals can I buy from McDonalds in 10 years ...

•••
cheap habits lead to cheap ways

If you have a keyword that combines respectfully with the extension then it’s a good domain and depending on the industry it could be a valuable domain

But the problem with a majority of investors is their inability to see the bigger picture,

If you saw the name web.site or cars.xyz - would you consider these poor names versus website-buildersanonymous.com or carsoncolfax.com ... the internet is polluted and overfilled with poor real estate, it makes sense to create new realestate, that of which can build or continue to grow the success of hard working companies

.biz was created as the short slang for business and there are many companies that actually own their .biz in order to prevent cyber squatting

Renewals shouldn’t really be that big a deal in an investors portfolio ... if the renewal is $500 annually, then the name should be taken into consideration, especially if you own an entire portfolio filled with them ... but a 1 euro difference annually ... that’s just funny, and I don’t think anyone who has good keywords with a .biz should throw away their name because of a one euro difference ... 10% increase each year ... how many meals can I buy from McDonalds in 10 years ...
personally only agree with the first and last paragraph, I will definitely choose web.site and cars.xyz rather you've mentioned.

•••
Back