IT.COM

Is anyone a full time domainer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dom1

Impact
I'd be interested to know if anyone does domaining full time or at least makes the average yearly US salary just from domaining?

Feel free to share your experiences.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
From 2012 to 2018 I made living from domaining for main income, and other sources for addition. But after the pandemic era, I can't make living from domaining. I used to sell domains at Ebay, Afternic, Godaddy, and got at average the same amount I could be paid for a manager in a Hotel in my town. I could sell domains at Ebay 60$-700$ after hold only about 1-3 months. A month could sell many domains.

Last edited:
•••
Most domainers have fingers in many pies. Eg: have another online shop, get norks out or create content.

•••
Only if you can spend lots of time running personal marketing of your domains such as building a website, running ads on social media and email campaigns.

•••
I'd be interested to know if anyone does domaining full time or at least makes the average yearly US salary just from domaining?

Yes. 1 in 50000.

Last edited:
•••
If American median annual income is around $50K, there are some domainers selling domains for an annual profit of $50K+.

Sometimes it comes in a mega sale, for example a domainer sells a domain for a profit of $150K. For nearly 3 years they are a full-time domainer. But if same domainer has NO sales for profit above $50K in Year 4, they are no longer a full-time domainer IMO.

Many domainers are part-time at best, but most will never experience being a full-time domainer in any year.

•••
for most domainers, it is the second source of income, though I am planning to become a full-time domainer as long I am not living in a developed country.

•••
Personally,

Combined revenue streams from the domain industry in general (Including domain monetization, development, and related services/products), sure.

From just flipping domain name assets (Currently)? No (Back in 2009 to 2015, sure).

Everyone does it different though. I think just about every domain investor, reseller, hobbyist, end-user, etc.. goes through different structural phases in their IP (Intellectual property) domain asset adventures.

What works for one may not work for another and vise versa.

•••
Most domainers have fingers in many pies. Eg: have another online shop, get norks out or create content.
Does second example work? Asking for a friend...

5 ft 7, male, medium build, not too big of a beer belly... Yet.

•••

Some yes, most no. Most people do other things

•••

I make 5 figure income monthly from domains. But I don't consider myself "full time domain investor", because that is not my focus.

•••
I used to be full time. I won't say exactly what I make but I have been able to live the luxury life and travel for the last few years and I haven't done anything else with my time except enjoy myself for the last 3 or 4 years. Its a little irresponsible but it is what it is. To give you the answer you are looking for if you are clever have a decent bank roll you can make a living in domains. Ive seen people go from broke to heroes I have also seen people put so much time in and not really make much money. it all depends on you. Good luck

Last edited:
•••
•••
I've been a full time domainer since 2014-2015...

•••
•••
mmm... It´s curious and why not now?
Go with other better work?

I am still a full-time domainer. I have been so for the last 7-8 years.

Before that, I was focused on creating travel related websites and my main income back then was from hotel reservations and advertising on these sites.

•••

Before that, I was focused on creating travel related websites and my main income back then was from hotel reservations and advertising on these sites.
Upss... Sorry, it was my mistake. My English is not the best. I thought you were talking in the past.

I am still a partial domainer but I'm trying to switch to full in 12-24 months.
As in your past I am also dedicated to the theme of affiliations and content creation to monetize with Adsense many years ago but the market is changing a lot. Profits go down, many large companies enter in the game, positioning is becoming more and more complicated and working with google and its SEO updates is always scary.

If you allow me to ask a question
How large is your domain portfolio and what is your average annual return?

Thanks!

Last edited:
•••

Adsense?
An affiliate program?
Or were leads being processed by you ?
Does it still work? (otherwise why quit)

I don't plan to do such things. Just curious.

•••
Adsense?
An affiliate program?
Or were leads being processed by you ?
Does it still work? (otherwise why quit)

I don't plan to do such things. Just curious.

An affiliate program with very good commission to the affiliates (5-10% from each booking!).

Simplified reason for quitting:

Google changed their algorithms, so smaller websites like mine were replaced by Booking, Hotels, Expedia and Agoda etc at the top of search results. And after that people start using these websites for hotel reservations. I think I wouldn't make more than 1% now, compared with ten years ago, so it's pointless to even bother.

Last edited:
•••
I've been full-time domain investing since 2019, as explained in multiple podcasts at DNW.com over the past few years.

•••
What's your main focus?

I make 5 figure income monthly from domains. But I don't consider myself "full time domain investor", because that is not my focus.

•••
What's your main focus?

Even for domains, they are just a product for my branding/rebranding agency.

Outside of that, my interests include general business consulting, asset valuations, real estate investments, media projects, tech startups, writing a book (on branding), etc.

•••
Full time, although this recent period things have been harder.

Had over 3.5% STR last year on my names now around 2% and going down.

•••
Assuming you didn't start in the 90's, I think it would be very difficult to be a FT domainer, simply due to the inherent economic up and downs that have plagued the world since COVID.

My first half of 2022 was awesome, but since September it's been virtually dead and you can't depend on income that fluctuates so wildly. It's a fun side-business that can yield profit commensurate to the time you put into it, but I like the stability of a FT job.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back