Dynadot

Is Adam Dicker a criminal? You decide.

NameSilo
Watch

S-B

Account Closed
Impact
This story starts with DNF; a barren wasteland that once was a leading forum within the domain industry. While the forum itself played a huge role in propagating the myth that is Adam Dicker, the story really begins with DNF College in the summer of 2011.

Read More

Updates / Reports
These are in no particular order.

From what I understand, Adam still owes north of $33,000 to previous customers and business partners. As I receive more information, I will update this figure.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I certainly haven't requested that any of those people represent me, and I'm presumably one of the 20 people to receive a letter. so please stop making assumptions.

When had I suggested that the "20 people" who had received a letter had requested any of those people to represent them?

You may like to CC the email to @Shane Bellone , @SirDrago and @D. Wells as they appear to be representing and advising 20 other claimants, according to @carob.

Who's making assumptions? I apologise if you feel I assumed that.

Jen Sin, I know that your post was aimed at people who actually have a financial claim, but why do you suggest that course of action rather than a simple written demand for a refund within x days, stating that if it isn't received they will begin legal proceedings? That's what I'd do.

If Adam Dicker feels that any of those people are not worthy of a refund he can ignore the letter and invite the lawsuit.

Both course of actions have the same objective. If my suggestion is unsound, please highlight and criticise it if it will undermine the position of the claimants.

We are not here debating which method is better, both of us are just listing down possible next steps for the claimants, and my suggestion is what I thought of to encourage claimants to take the next step.

Eventually, they have to decide what to do next, or continue to wait.

I feel sad for @anon22339 and others who are still ignored. He has been voicing out here but his voice was not heard, and I can feel his frustrations.

•••
The OP needs to be updated to reflect the fact that one of the claimants on post #1 was refunded on Friday 23rd October.....

peterson.PNG

One who actually writes for a major domain blog it should be noted, which would presumably explain why Adam Dicker took a different approach with that claim.

•••
•••
The OP needs to be updated to reflect the fact that one of the claimants on post #1 was refunded on Friday 23rd October.....

Show attachment 18050

One who actually writes for a major domain blog it should be noted, which would presumably explain why Adam Dicker took a different approach with that claim.

@PugDomains, what is your presumed explanation regarding @Adam Dicker 's approach with @RandysDomains ' claim on 10 Oct?

My issue with Adam - albeit a small one - was resolved today. I'm glad that he is making progress on cleaning this mess up.

All of this off-topic crap is driving me crazy. I had a small issue with Adam - contacted him directly - and had a satisfactory resolution. Be direct with him and see if you get results!

As far as class-action suits - which have been discussed - the only people who make out on these are the lawyers. What's the difference between a lawyer and a carp? One is a scum-sucking bottom dweller and the other is a fish.

Peace, Y'all!

•••
I suggest you email @Adam Dicker and his legal representation Joel Reinhardt at adam (at) dcg.com and joel.reinhardt (at) gowlings.com to discuss resolution of your matter.

Why would you ever choose to engage with a lawyer OTHER than your own?
Especially when you don't really know the lawyer's actual relationship to the client.
Especially when you don't have a relationship with the lawyer.

•••
@PugDomains, what is your presumed explanation regarding @Adam Dicker 's approach with @RandysDomains ' claim on 10 Oct?

What is the relevance of your question and why do you need me to answer it?

In order to give any sort of comprehensive answer to your question I would want to draw parallels between Randy's claim and the various unresolved claims, and I am no longer prepared to comment on specific unresolved financial disputes involving Adam Dicker, either publicly or in private.

Like I've said multiple times, if any party feels they are owed money and they have no success in attempting to resolve amicably with Adam Dicker then their only obvious option is to start legal proceedings to recover the money. What else could I possibly add?

•••
RandyDomains, you state what you would do if you were Adam Dicker, what would you do if you were Shane Bellone? You need to consider both sides here.
Pug, I do not know what I would do if I were SB. I might possibly have contacted AD before posting here, and maybe he did, I do not know. But I have been considering almost all of the posts here.

I spent 25 years in the customer service side of a major corporation, and have answered many complaints where people talked about lawsuits - none materialized. We were always able to reach an agreement. Not everyone was totally satisfied, but it is very - repeat - very - expensive to sue someone, especially where there are no written contracts between the parties.

I can not speak to the complaints of email lists that were not for valid users, but I am pretty sure that the people who paid for website development, and do not think they received what they paid for, do not have anything in writing regarding the specifications for the web site. This is unfortunate, to be sure, and I am sorry that they they did not insist on a written contract, but that is one of the central issues here - isn't it? Who do you trust?

AD was, and still is, perceived by many individuals, especially new domainers, as an expert - a winner of awards - a big player in the industry. I personally paid his firm to provide a website for me. It was a template site as I stated in an earlier post. It was not great, but it is functional. I had no contract or list of design specifications, so I would be very hard-pressed to ask for a refund. The fact that his group provided a functional website completely removes my issue from the realm of being criminal, and reduces it to the category of 'lessons learned'.

My biggest mistake was believing that AD, in his forum, would provide guidance on how to develop a 'lead generation' domain that actually produced revenue. I'm still waiting on that 'lesson'. If I do get a lead on the web site they built, and which I modified, I will probably make out okay - legal leads appear to provide big returns - one legal claim through the site would pay for development, hosting, and registration. It is a fact that AD promises to deliver advice and lessons which are late on their delivery. I chalked this up to him being very busy - especially these days.

Back to the post I created. If you have a complaint, contact AD and be as specific as possible on why you are not satisfied with what was provided to you. If you feel you are entitled to a refund, ask for it. If you want additional work done to complete the project say so.

I expect the usual members will say that they wrote to AD and received no reply. Even if you are unhappy, you might want to consider being respectful and professional in your correspondence. Okay I am not saying you were not - I obviously have not read it. Just keep it professional - that's all.

Onward and Upward!

•••
Pug, I do not know what I would do if I were SB. I might possibly have contacted AD before posting here, and maybe he did, I do not know. But I have been considering almost all of the posts here.

I spent 25 years in the customer service side of a major corporation, and have answered many complaints where people talked about lawsuits - none materialized. We were always able to reach an agreement. Not everyone was totally satisfied, but it is very - repeat - very - expensive to sue someone, especially where there are no written contracts between the parties.

I can not speak to the complaints of email lists that were not for valid users, but I am pretty sure that the people who paid for website development, and do not think they received what they paid for, do not have anything in writing regarding the specifications for the web site. This is unfortunate, to be sure, and I am sorry that they they did not insist on a written contract, but that is one of the central issues here - isn't it? Who do you trust?

AD was, and still is, perceived by many individuals, especially new domainers, as an expert - a winner of awards - a big player in the industry. I personally paid his firm to provide a website for me. It was a template site as I stated in an earlier post. It was not great, but it is functional. I had no contract or list of design specifications, so I would be very hard-pressed to ask for a refund. The fact that his group provided a functional website completely removes my issue from the realm of being criminal, and reduces it to the category of 'lessons learned'.

My biggest mistake was believing that AD, in his forum, would provide guidance on how to develop a 'lead generation' domain that actually produced revenue. I'm still waiting on that 'lesson'. If I do get a lead on the web site they built, and which I modified, I will probably make out okay - legal leads appear to provide big returns - one legal claim through the site would pay for development, hosting, and registration. It is a fact that AD promises to deliver advice and lessons which are late on their delivery. I chalked this up to him being very busy - especially these days.

Back to the post I created. If you have a complaint, contact AD and be as specific as possible on why you are not satisfied with what was provided to you. If you feel you are entitled to a refund, ask for it. If you want additional work done to complete the project say so.

I expect the usual members will say that they wrote to AD and received no reply. Even if you are unhappy, you might want to consider being respectful and professional in your correspondence. Okay I am not saying you were not - I obviously have not read it. Just keep it professional - that's all.

Onward and Upward!

•••
oh please.....really? Do you think we're stupid people here?

•••
If you have a complaint, contact AD and be as specific as possible on why you are not satisfied with what was provided to you. If you feel you are entitled to a refund, ask for it. If you want additional work done to complete the project say so.

It would be helpful if you are talking in a broad sense that you make this clear, you appear to be directing all of the above towards me?

Just to clarify, I have no financial claim with Adam Dicker, no complaint, no reason to contact him prior to recently. His lawyer did send me a letter though. Coincidentally, that letter also seemed to suggest that the lawyer believed I had a financial dispute with Adam Dicker.

Are you sure you are up to date on recent events? Adam Dicker contacted Shane Bellone to obtain the contact details of all those with financial claims promising to refund on friday, and instead sent them all a generic letter threatening libel action. He has allegedly since stated to another member that he will refund those people in return for the thread being locked by Shane Bellone.

It also seems to be dependent on numerous unrelated third parties removing content from this thread. For example, my letter seemed to imply that I have to remove some as of yet unspecified posts in return for those with financial complaints receiving refunds, despite never having been asked to represent those people or claimed to do so. I am seeking clarification on his requirements.

How on earth is sending a polite message to Adam Dicker explaining their problem going to help those people obtain a refund, if there are conditions placed on those refunds which are technically impossible for them to adhere to as individuals. If Mr X contacts AD directly, and AD states that Mr X can only receive a refund if the namepros thread is locked, then how is Mr X going to lock the thread?

Last edited:
•••
@PugDomains No, sorry, the first paragraph was in reply to your question. The rest was just me being verbose.

In regard to "the letter" I read it. I have no idea if it is possible to remove prior comments in the blog. I seem to recall someone clipped the whole thread and posted it somewhere - so that is a mute point. What's been published here will be available somewhere I am sure. It has been my experience that lawyers always engage in what what one might - for lack of a better term - call 'puffery'. That's what they do for a living - why they earn the big bucks. Even they can be reasonable.

I agree that it would be unreasonable to hinge refunds to unspecified claimants on an uninvolved member of this forum removing unspecified posts. I have no idea why you would have received ;the letter'. Seems strange.

@domainesque No, I do not.

•••
Not everyone was totally satisfied, but it is very - repeat - very - expensive to sue someone

Expensive for the loser, yes.

But somebody on a blog comment about this subject did point out that small claims court in Canada is very cheap, for claims up to a certain amount, and that may be an option for some.

•••
Probably, assuming you are in Canada? I live in Texas - six miles from Mexico - a long trip to Ontario, Canada to file a claim. I am not up to date on International Law (thank goodness).

•••
Expensive for the loser, yes.

But somebody on a blog comment about this subject did point out that small claims court in Canada is very cheap, for claims up to a certain amount, and that may be an option for some.
Even with a small claims case, it is not good to get a judgement or repeated judgments against you. really bad for your credit rating too.

•••
@PugDomains

I have no idea why you would have received ;the letter'. Seems strange.

To try and shut me up, as simple as that, which in fairness has partially worked, I'm being very careful how I word things, have moved to disassociate myself from individual financial claims, and requested that no new information is sent to my inbox. If I don't have any info I can't share any.

•••
Alleged criminal complaints generally stating are free to file.

•••
To try and shut me up, as simple as that, which in fairness has partially worked, I'm being very careful how I word things, have moved to disassociate myself from individual financial claims, and requested that no new information is sent to my inbox. If I don't have any info I can't share any.

Why would one need a letter so as to start to words things carefully?

One should word things responsibly all the time regardless of any letter.

•••
One should word things responsibly all the time regardless of any letter.

Indeed one should, which is why one shouldn't make assumptions on whom is providing legal advice and representations to whom.

•••
This is not a reply to anyone..But victim blaming by anyone is cruel.

•••
If Mr X contacts AD directly, and AD states that Mr X can only receive a refund if the namepros thread is locked, then how is Mr X going to lock the thread?

IMHO, it would seem if Mr. X wanted, he could ask an admin to delete his, Mr. X's, comments at the very least. However that would most likely include any quoted statements from Mr. X as well with comments attached.

I'm just sayin'... that could be an alternative to the lock down.

This is my opinion and yours may vary... and that's ok. ;)

Regards,

WPM

•••
When a company is not paying wages or delivering goods that have been paid for, sometimes people have to go public to get a result. Since this thread started we have been told some people have been paid, so it looks like the thead is doing its job.

@RandysDomains I'm glad you have received some recompense and it's also good to hear from someone like you with professional experience of dispute resolution. Most companies do not want unhappy customers, and some will actually do most refunds, even unjustified ones, with a view to keeping their reputation and future trade.

I can not speak to the complaints of email lists that were not for valid users, but I am pretty sure that the people who paid for website development, and do not think they received what they paid for, do not have anything in writing regarding the specifications for the web site.

AD was, and still is, perceived by many individuals, especially new domainers, as an expert - a winner of awards - a big player in the industry. I personally paid his firm to provide a website for me. It was a template site as I stated in an earlier post. It was not great, but it is functional. I had no contract or list of design specifications, so I would be very hard-pressed to ask for a refund.

Firstly, on their site nichewebsites.com gave a list of development packages with a specification list and price for each one.

Secondly, they are not entitled to sell stolen goods. In many cases they have delivered content copied from elsewhere, which can be checked on any site (for text content) at copyscape.com. See this post for full info and what to do:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/is-adam-dicker-a-criminal-you-decide.883579/page-116#post-5072959

In many cases Nichewebsites need also to supply the licence for a paid-for Wordpress theme - client should verify this. A website is not a static product like a piece of furniture - it has security needs and carries risks and responsibilities for the owner. Copyright infringement can get you some very big bills and even get a hosting account shut.

•••
I have nothing to do with any of this but as I said back at post #354 Be Careful.

Everything posted here is being documented and if you do have a valid case stop posting in public and get an attorney if it's worth it.

If not sometimes in business you must own up to your mistakes, learn and move on.

I guess I'm saying don't get sued yourself for saying one wrong thing which could cost you more than you're owed. ;)

•••
Hi can anyone tell us what rate a Canadian lawyer charges per letter? $150? That's 20 letters so far...

If someone is seeking a simple $500 refund it is an eye-opener to see the company paying out a four figure sum for third party letters which just delay the process of resolving a purchase dispute with the company.

The figures there are for hypothetical discussion purposes, asssuming all 18 claimants named on the front page of the thread, plus ShaneB and Pug, that would be 20. We do know at this point that not all of those people received letters.

Another question - can you file in Canadian small claims court from abroad? In the UK cases can be handled on the basis of written submissions - chances of success are better if you attend, but some companies seem to have an unwritten procedure of ignoring people until they make a small claims court claim, then hurriedly paying them in full before the case is to be heard.

•••
Everything posted here is being documented and if you do have a valid case stop posting in public and get an attorney if it's worth it.

If not sometimes in business you must own up to your mistakes, learn and move on.

I guess I'm saying don't get sued yourself for saying one wrong thing which could cost you more than you're owed. ;)
Very well put!

I think that sometimes many people do not realize that everything posted in these public forums can be seen, recorded, documented, etc.

Watch what you say and exactly how you word things in a forum, don't let your words get used against you later down the road legally or otherwise!

•••
I have nothing to do with any of this but as I said back at post #354 Be Careful.

That's maybe good advice
If someone is seeking a simple $500 refund it is an eye-opener to see the company paying out a four figure sum for third party letters which just delay the process of resolving a purchase dispute with the company.

The figures there are for hypothetical discussion purposes, asssuming all 18 claimants named on the front page of the thread, plus ShaneB and Pug, that would be 20. We do know at this point that not all of those people recieved letters.

Another question - can you file in Canadian small claims court from abroad? In the UK cases can be handled on the basis of written submissions - chances of success are better if you attend, but some companies seem to have an unwritten procedure of ignoring people until they make a small claims court claim, then hurriedly paying them in full before the case is to be heard.

A quick settlement is best for all involved. Avoiding alleged criminal complaints is

Over 100 pages of complaints here...That's pretty deep in many ways.

•••
Back