Dynadot

question iphone and trademark

NameSilo
Watch
Yes, all know that "iphone" is a big trademark but... Why have a lot web-proyects that have this name in the domain name?

And not are small developments... many of this have some many years with a lot of articles. Put hours and hours of content to one day Apple will call you at the door??

Example:
iphonelife.com
esferaiphone.com
blogdoiphone.com
actualidadiphone.com
iphoneros.com

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Maybe the real question is if you donΒ΄t discredit the brand you have the possibility to working with domain name with this big trademark?

•••
Maybe the real question is if you donΒ΄t discredit the brand you have the possibility to working with domain name with this big trademark?
As far as I know, each company can decide, whether it goes after a trademark / copyright violation, or not.

(It is not a must).

So, this way it is only to expain, that Apple decided to not go after those website owners.

I truly think, Apple just understood that it makes no sense to go after good websites, that present their product in a positive way / help their end-customers in dealing with it (repairs etc.),
and that on the other hand it would be just too much work to do it...
As iphone is just a hyped name all over the world.

Different with playboy: you won't find any big website, that contains this keyword.
:xf.wink:

•••
Not one of those sites are bringing in any big bucks. Also, even if they're serving the Apple brand well, maybe it helps if you're doing good reviews, good things to say or driving business for the company, but really...that is also a bit of a grey area. If I'm a company with a trademark, I want you to leave me alone, that's why I have a trademark - I don't need nor want your help, unless I say so.

In summary: If you care about sustainability, no trouble and to grow without uncertainly, you are wise to not ride on the back of other companies, with their respective trademarks. If you do, you better have some form of special permission or agreement with that company. IMO

Last edited:
•••
Not one of those sites are bringing in any big bucks.
actualidadiphone.com is a big portal in Spain Market.
More than 10 years with daily post.

And one of the top in spain market with other trademark in name is:
applesfera.com

For you what is "any big bucks"?
This websites have several editors who write every day with a very good monthly traffic and with.... a big trademark in the domain name. They are not small projects

•••
actualidadiphone.com is a big portal in Spain Market.
More than 10 years with daily post.

And one of the top in spain market with other trademark in name is:
applesfera.com

For you what is "any big bucks"?
This websites have several editors who write every day with a very good monthly traffic and with.... a big trademark in the domain name. They are not small projects
"Actualidad iPhone is one of the portals with the longest travel in Spanish about Apple news, endorsed for more than 10 years offering the latest news in Apple and devices such as iPhone, iMac or iPad. You can submit your suggestions using the editorial team's contact form."

Yes, they spread Apple news in Spanish. They say they're endorsed, maybe they're doing things right. You don't know if they have any special permission or arrangement. The other: Apples Fera, maybe the same. The rest of what I said should be noted, it depends on the circumstance

Last edited:
•••
@jhm You are a very cool guy and major positive influence on my domainer story. But how do you know that?
Not one of those sites are bringing in any big bucks.
iphonelife.com launched in 97 and gets a half million backlinks, ranks for just under one million keywords U.S. Google and attracted around ten million visits in 2021. I found it position two for " iphone2 " (above apple.com) and position one for a whole bunch of apple product questions each with apprx 10000 searches / month. They run a podcast, courses, insider tips, newletter, magazine app, a printed magazine (https://iphonelife.dragonforms.com/loading.do?omedasite=ipl_subscribe) video tips with 600000 follower on You Tube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUUNkL6Wke6i0P6funa7wdQ), similar number of Twitterers (https://twitter.com/appleinsider), 90000 Instagrammers (https://www.instagram.com/appleinsider) and also similar number for F.B. (https://www.facebook.com/AppleInsiderdotcom/), oh and bro - they have a forum with 200000 members (https://forums.appleinsider.com/ @Bravo Mod Team I don't know if this external forum link is allowed?). One more " In recent years, AppleInsider has received prominent mentions in hundreds of major media outlets, including: "
Now onto the money. They have 7000 insider members ( https://insider.iphonelife.com/ ) each paying $ 7 or $ 10 / month. Average $ 8,50 / member -x- 7000 members you get $ 59500 monthly like $ 700 GRAND / YEAR. Google Adsense banner is top of every page on a super high value product category. Add next their deals pages https://deals.appleinsider.com/ like a $ 2300 macbook review coupon thing linking to adorama.com. Even at 5 % commission its $ 115 earned from every sale referral x however many people click and buy. You get the picture mate. Just saying. I still love you very much @jhm. One more thing. It all started with an idea and domain name.

Last edited:
•••
•••
You don't know if they have any special permission or arrangement.

a) iphone, as term, is in dev. / business eyes something special, a trademark.
Honest spoken, in every day consumer life (also mine), it is not a trademark any more.

it is a universal term.

But: juristical it is a TM. Clearly.

b) Guys at apple understand, that their term 'iphone' cannot be erazed from human memory any more.
It is not like coca cola, or sth.

iphone is simply to close to Phone.

So we can specualte and fight here, but it makes no sense.

We can only assume, that Apple somewhere has made a decision about whether they will go hunting after iphone domains, or not.

And it is clearly, they do not.

I trusly do not believe in any special arrangements;
that would be just silly and look bad, when leaked.

Because: You are right. Not all websites containg iphone in the domain are high quality websites;
actu. it is the opposite. - Many websites are just some retail resellers, with design like ebay from 2002 :xf.smile:

However, to me iphone has gone too far into the sphere of everyday language, and human 'copyright'
:xf.wink:

•••
Yes, all know that "iphone" is a big trademark but... Why have a lot web-proyects that have this name in the domain name?

And not are small developments... many of this have some many years with a lot of articles. Put hours and hours of content to one day Apple will call you at the door??

Example:
iphonelife.com
esferaiphone.com
blogdoiphone.com
actualidadiphone.com
iphoneros.com
I am certain that Apple knows about those names and those sites. For some reason they have chosen not to do anything (yet).

•••
^^^ Win ^^^
IΒ΄m sure at 99% that not have any special permission or arrangement with Apple.

I am certain that Apple knows about those names and those sites. For some reason they have chosen not to do anything (yet).
Yes, maybe possible this option.

It would be interesting to know if Apple has removed any domain with the brand "iphone" in the past from any website.

•••
They always say Bob for apples but never tell you to Peter Pan for apples
There's A Lot More To Apple Then what meets the iphone
I should write a Blog about it but I guess somethings be better left unsaid

Bake myself some real ginger bread cookies

Oh you wanted to know if Apple could legally lawsuit someone for using the iPhone within a domain name
Well nobody likes counterfeits

•••
APPLES FIN 🍎
Everyone wants apple iPhone but nobody wants apples Fin

•••
If I run a domain associated with Apple products and benefit from it, one way or another, my a** belongs to Apple. Why does my a** belong to Apple: Because they can afford to dispute it, if they really wanted to, and I would struggle to defend it (if it really came down to it)

Fighting is expensive, and they'd have the better end of it. Your future is uncertain, and that's not a nice place to be, when putting your heart and soul into a business. IMO

Last edited:
•••
If I run a domain associated with Apple products and benefit from it, one way or another, my a** belongs to Apple. Why does my a** belong to Apple: Because they can afford to dispute it, if they really wanted to, and I would struggle to defend it (if it really came down to it)

Fighting is expensive, and they'd have the better end of it. Your future is uncertain, and that's not a nice place to be, when putting your heart and soul into a business. IMO

All projects in internet with a domian with "iphone" world benefit from it in one way or other. Webs with new fresh content every days.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back