Dynadot

discuss .io vs .it: Why one succeeded over another?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
.io has been heavily popular among startups and is seen with respect among the tech community. However, .it has been lagging behind, is little heard of when it directly relates and connects to the tech industry.

Why do you think that happened? Is there a chance that .it may pick up going forward?

Note: .it may mean Information Technology

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Registration rules
Registration of a .it domain name is subject to the following conditions:
Owner:
An individual residing in European Union
or
An organization registered in European Union with a VAT number

-----
Mainly addressed to local (italian), the main reason why .it development just like that..

P.S. use trustee services

•••
.it is the ccTLD of Italy and in Italy is the main extension for most of the website.
I don't think they're comparable at all honestly.

•••
.io has been associated with "input output"
a very common term in technology and programming
so it got traction from tech guys
and therefore was adopted by some startup as a cheap alternative to .com

•••
Being from Italy, I can confirm you that .it extension in our country is the main ccTLD, even most important that .com when an italian company has to choose.

•••
.IT is ~5 times bigger in its size than .IO

Last edited:
•••
Domains registered in each TLD
.io 673,062
.it 3,428,922
Source: domainnamestat.com

•••
.it ain't lagging behind. It's actually a better TLD to hold. Unfortunately anything really good has been long gone.

Mature ccTLD, not repurposed. Unlike .io which is just another hype/fad like .co. can't compare apples to oranges.

•••
  • IO can also be used as "Internet Organization"

•••
One question about the .it names.

In case to sell any domain to change the ownership it's necessary to send the ID or passport for new an old owner or only confirm via admin email similar has gTLDs names?

In other ccTLDs as .es yes I need to contact with nic.es and send a photo with my personal ID.

•••
One question about the .it names.

In case to sell any domain to change the ownership it's necessary to send the ID or passport for new an old owner or only confirm via admin email similar has gTLDs names?

In other ccTLDs as .es yes I need to contact with nic.es and send a photo with my personal ID.
DM @mpls

Last edited:
•••
•••
Thanks but review his profile and not write more than 1 year.
This doesn't matter.
By default your DM will be notified to his email.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back