IT.COM

Introduction + Journey Part I

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Scot Thomas

Established Member
Impact
Hi all.

Rather than the usual intro in the style of “Hello forum, I'm a newb, hope to make a lot of money selling domains”, I'm going to start a sort of “journey” thread so that others who follow can look over my shoulder and see what worked. And more importantly, what didn't. (wasn't it the founder of Wham-O, the hula hoop guys, who said something like “I'd rather fail and understand why than make money but not know how I did it”?)

So, I am new to the business of domain sales, but not new to the business world (I was in wholesale sales in NYC, residential real estate in Chicago, and now my wife and I run a boutique travel and photography business in Italy.

Though I've been on the verge of getting started for a couple of years now, we had a few work and health setbacks (who doesn't from time to time, right?) that pushed domains to the background.

I am a word guy buy nature – crossword puzzles, letter inversion games etc – and enjoy finding combinations that “work together”. I can't remember what I ate for lunch today....but know many of Shakespeare's sonnets by rote (that guy was the original domainer brain – he invented 100s of words that we still use today!

After poring over DomainSherpa interviews and good blogs and threads here, I took the plunge and registered some domains. My wife made me promise not to spend more than $500 to get this off the ground.

Ridiculous? Undoubtedly. But....I like a good challenge....and I LOVE my wife. ;)

My preference would have been for good single-word .coms and great double words that businesses could build on. BUT I couldn't afford to buy just ONE domain and then hope that I could re-sell it quickly-ish and keep going.

So....I registered a bunch of brandables and some crypto and loan-related words.

Names without buyers aren't much use, so I found a portfolio management system that I life (Efty) and built a little site out. It's overkill for now, but having it in place makes me feel good and will definitely makes things easier to manage going forward.

I put most of the domains on the major markets, and most at BIN prices. ALL of the names are ones that I could build a business on, if I had nothing else.

Please use this thread to make suggestions that could speed me – and others who read this – along. I will update it sporadically as life and domaining allow me. I am "wet behind the ears" and happy to hear any and all comments and criticism.

In the meantime, my Efty site is (nearly) ready here:

eftymarket dot zonebrokers dot com I'm so new I can't post links yet! LOL

(it's temporarily on an add-on domain that I've 301 redirected, so no need to worry if your antivirus software smells something strange....)

Thank you for your time. A presto!

Scot

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
Nice intro! Welcome to namepros!:xf.smile:

•••
•••
Back