NameSilo

Interesting Use of Ngltd .Storage

Labeled as information in gTLD Discussion started by mr-x, Apr 13, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. mr-x

mr-x Acme Domains Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. JayT

JayT LIFESAVINGS.ONLINE VIP

3. mr-x

A cat inside the box would be perfection.

4. MapleDots

MapleDots Domain Properties 2010 - 2019 VIP

To the average joe that does not look like a web address.

I would have added www in tiny letters in front and outside of the sign exactly like they have the registered trademark symbol.

Maybe in 5 years or so it will be time where you can remove the www but right now I think its too early not to have it there.

PS. I hope those corrugated ends are just painted on because if they are real openings they are going to be magnets for birds.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  5. JayT

Ya, turn it into a stray cat trap. A shiny bird as bait and some sort of 1 way ladder.

6. bmugford

bmugford www.DataCube.com PRO ICA Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Interesting.

I would not even realize that was a domain name. Also, that domain just forwards to their .COM.

On a side note, that is a pretty cool looking building design.

Brad

7. JayT

People will see things like this and associate the dot being between 2 words as a domain. It won't take long and .anything will be recognizable as a domain.

8. NYJimbo

NYJimbo Domain Re-Animator VIP

My cat said we are moving there. I guess that's it then.

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP

... while we are not there yet, imho, I think we are very much getting exactly to that point. It seems to me that for those < age 35 (that is not me :xf.sick:) or so there is already more recognition of that, possibly due to being more open to new things and possibly due to social media integration of some of the new and alternative generic country TLDs.
    =Bob

ps It is very cool looking 'buidling/sign" Thanks for sharing @mr-x !

10. MapleDots

I have my parents, granparents, son, daughter and 3 friends here today.

I showed them the building and they all thought it was neat.

Not one of them recognized it as a web address and they are in all age ranges.

We are hyper aware because we are in the business. Even if there was a 75% recognition I would still put the www in front because I would want as many people as possible to get it.

11. Bob Hawkes

Thanks for your mini survey @MapleDots and your point of a tiny www would help is well made. Just wondering, was anyone in your survey an active Twitter user? I have no data but have wondered with the ease of making phrases into links on that platform if there is more recognition of alternative extensions.

On another point, I thought I was pretty new extension aware but until this thread I didn't even know of .storage I think. I wondered why that was and see on NameStat although it has been around just over a year it has a wholesale price of $500, which helps explain why not big with domain investors and only just under 500 registered. Using the site search feature in Google it does appear a fair number in real world use though for local storage facilities. There was one NameBio resale in the extension, with cold(.)storage going for $6699 last year on Sedo.

Bob

12. mr-x

I just tweeted about motorhome.rentals and it linked automatically.

13. Bob Hawkes

Yes the fact that any domain name Tweets perfectly simply by putting in the dot and it is a fully functional link (no www or http or anything else required) is so powerful. While it works with country code, legacy or new TLDs, it is much more natural in written speech with a new extension that makes a perfect phrase.
    Bob

14. mr-x

You're right, in context, it makes sense and is easy to recognize. I think I will be adding www in the future, especially in ads.

15. Kate

Kate Domainosaurus Rex VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Yes. They are thinking outside the box :xf.grin:

16. JayT

@Bob Hawkes it's simple to add ntld hyperlinking to chat and websites.

17. Bob Hawkes

18. NameJi

NameJi The Domain Lover Gold Account

This is an outstanding idea, creative genius. Great to see the business owner used his domain name at best.

Simply awesome thought. I m inspired. @mr-x thanks for sharing.

19. namemarket

namemarket Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Seems like they care more about the trademark vs making money and website visitors!

I have seen some local firms also do that (including extensive and costly car and truck wrapping) with little known or even unknown extensions where average Joe would never even guess it was a website name. Not very smart of these places in not simply adding the www,

20. NameJi

Some domain names need www to express it's a domain name and some just fly without 'www' and with a "dot" (eg: left.right).

What the owner has done is "created a value out of nothing". There is nothing in domain name without his creativity.

Great work, awesome thought.

21. NameJi

forget about average joe, investors would have lined up for his business. :) Sometimes all these creative work is to impress investors.

22. MapleDots

Forget about the average joe?

Hmm, what happens after the investors want a return on their money?

Have you run any successful businesses without the average joe as a customer?

23. BaileyUK

BaileyUK Top Member VIP

Couldn't help but notice that the 'Guttering' only goes two thirds up the box, reckon the staff have a miniature basketball court up there in that top third

Still a lovely use of the new-stuff (well not so new) It's going to be an interesting watch over the next couple of years. I still wouldn't mind if they took-off, give me something new to play with in my retirement

24. NameJi

You are right. We need average Joe and every one else. Once owner gets big investment imo he can attract people and promote brand through ads and other social media channels.

25. DomainRecap

DomainRecap Top Member VIP

1. I hope they don't ever build something like that where it snows.
    2. The white "Fragile" stickers have to go, as they look cheap, are too eye-catching, and give off the wrong vibe.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: